Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 10:34 AM

9 posts, read 40,538 times

Advertisements

What do you guys like better, the IMAX screen on Webb Chapel or the XD screens? I think I like XD better b/c there are more seats at the West Plano theater and its closer to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,929,257 times
Real IMAX >> XD > LieMAX.

I rarely get over to the Real IMAX screen, though. Too far away from Plano and often sold out.

For 3D, I much prefer the RealD system to the IMAX 3D system.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM

871 posts, read 2,690,698 times
I don't think it's a simple answer.

First of all, most movies that go "IMAX Experience" don't have any shots on true 70MM film. Recent exceptions have been The Dark Knight and Transformers 2. If you saw those on real IMAX, you know what I'm talking about. In fact, for those movies, the only way to see the entire film in its original aspect ratios (yes, plural) was on true imax.

Every other movie gets no benefit from real imax. It's still film, just blown up to be larger. Sound is okay, but still lossy (lossy means it is compressed and some stuff can be lost, audiophiles notice a difference).

What do you get with XD? You get a huge screen with a digital 2k projector (most of the time, digitial projection = 2k projector, 2048×1080 resolution) and uncompressed PCM sound, which is lossless (bit for bit the same as the original studio master).

In fact any digital projection has the benefit of lossless uncompressed PCM sound. Think high quality blu ray sound x 100.

For me I rarely go true IMAX here because there is only one in the entire metro and it's not convenient for me. At least there are several XD set ups here.

I went out of my way to see Inception at the AMC Highland Village, the only theater in the metro that for every screen has Sony 4k projectors (4096×2160 native resolution), but kind of like with true imax, since the film was NOT filmed with 4k cameras you don't get the most benefit out of it. I WILL see this movie again, and probably XD. Had Chris Nolan used a 70MM camera for some shots like he did with The Dark Knight, I would have only seen it in true IMAX.

By the way, LieMax, aka fake imax, is simply imax digital with 2k projectors. That is one of the big reasons it is so underwhelming. If the screen was as big as real imax or XD that would be one thing, but really it's no different than seeing a 2k projection (Regular digital projection) at Cinemark West Plano with a slightly bigger screen and an additional charge. That's why we hate LIEMAX so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: