Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:51 AM

20 posts, read 86,592 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

Can anyone please provide some info on Greenville? My better half wants to buy some acreage in east Greenville (west of I30). But I've heard some unflattering things about it (high crime, etc.). Any area that are good or decent, and any that are to be avoided at all cost?

Thanks!

Duke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 AM

438 posts, read 1,784,109 times
I have never felt unsafe in Greenville. There are definitely areas that are more poor, but basically it's just a county seat city in a rural county. I bought my first car and first motorcycle in Greenville. Worked at the Rubbermaid plant when I was an undergraduate at ETSU.

I have heard from a former Greenville police officer that there is a subset of kids in school that have been kicked out of some larger city districts. In general, his war stories seemed tame by Dallas standards.

Bottom line: if I had the $$$ I'd probably buy some land outside Greenville. Far out enough to have some livestock but close enough to DFW to drive in for social events.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM

3,075 posts, read 8,421,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemontrose View Post
Hi Folks,

Can anyone please provide some info on Greenville? My better half wants to buy some acreage in east Greenville (west of I30). But I've heard some unflattering things about it (high crime, etc.). Any area that are good or decent, and any that are to be avoided at all cost?

Thanks!

Duke
Crime in Greenville is quite a bit less than Dallas and suburbs. If you are buying outside of Greenville you are more rural and will see even less problems. It's a fairly quiet area but problems can occur anywhere.

What you should concern yourself with when buying into any fringe area, and acreage (you don't say how much acreage) is the zoning status, what is located within a few mile radius of your property, and what projects (city, county and State) might be in planning or progress for the area. These things can quickly, and drastically, change the area and potentially land values. Do a little research and drive around the area to see what is there. Don't forget to drive the little side roads and country roads as well, there are many things you won't see if you don't. Use the aerial mapping services to help as well.

Good luck on the purchase!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 PM

It's a large parcel (100+ acre) with ag exemption. We'll drive out for a look this week.

Thank you both very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Duke

Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM

9 posts, read 41,792 times
I moved to the Greenville area (Caddo Mills) 2 years ago. I've always lived in nicer suburban areas with perfect houses/cars/yards. Greenville is far from what I'm used to, so I was scared to make such a drastic move. However, it hasn't been bad at all! It's so much cheaper here, and we're only 45 minutes from Dallas. GV isn't as pretty as other towns, but lately a lot of work has been going on and things are looking better. I feel safe in GV, at least where all the shopping is. People are nice and very down to earth. I don't feel like I have to impress anyone with my car/house. There are a lot of mobile homes, but I've gotten used to it. It's just country living. I don't know about schools... I've heard bad things of GV schools. Caddo is supposed to have nice schools but we homeschool so I wouldn't know.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,534,593 times
Buy it now, while the price is good....

Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 PM

Is Greenville growing fast, and are there a lot of people living there and driving into DFW for work?

The property is being sold for $1300 per acre, on the west side of I30 and east of of Greenville. I'm not looking to flip and get rich; just want a nice parcel that we can hold for a long duration (20+ years), beat inflation, and possibly pass down to the next generation.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:28 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,107,377 times
Quote:
Is Greenville growing fast, and are there a lot of people living there and driving into DFW for work?
The North Central Texas Council of Governments released its annual population estimates for the DFW area back in April. Here are the numbers for Greenville and Hunt County:

City of Greenville
2000 Population: 24,117
2010 Estimated Population: 27,200
2000-2010 Population Increase: +3,083
2000-2010 Population Growth Rate: 12.8%

Growth statistics for Greenville and other DFW cities are posted on this thread: NCTCOG 2010 Population Growth Statistics.

Hunt County
2000 Population: 76,596
2010 Estimated Population: 93,900
2000-2010 Population Increase: +17,304
2000-2010 Population Growth Rate: 22.6%

The city of Greenville is growing steadily, but not as rapidly as some of the suburban areas closer to Dallas. The same is true of Hunt County, which has experienced a 22.6 percent increase in population between 2000 and 2010. It is a growing county, just not at the rates seen in neighboring Rockwall (91.2 percent), Collin (59.9 percent), or Kaufman (50.5 percent) counties.

There is already enough commuter exchange between Hunt County and the core DFW counties for it to be included as part of the metropolitan area, so there is a sizable portion of the population driving to Dallas and the surrounding areas for work.

Hope this helps

Old 08-14-2010, 01:55 PM

23 posts, read 70,383 times
Quote:
Are you planning on commuting into the Dallas area for work? I personally wouldn't want to live in Rockwall or anything east of it. It seems like there are a lot of accidents on I30(bridge over the lake & other areas). I think I30 is pretty much your only option to get to Dallas from Greenville, unless you went 380 to I75(which sounds aweful just typing it).

I knew a guy that commuted from Greenville to North dallas, and I believe it took him 1 1/2 hrs to get to and from work every day.HTH.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:11 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,653 times
Have you seen the land in person? That's a fairly low price for land in that area so I would want to very closely check out the quality of the land and the surrounding area before committing to anything. The topography in that area can vary greatly from one mile (or one block!!) to the next so it's hard to say if that's a good value without seeing it. If it's a nice piece of property with at least one good building site on it, it could be a good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas