Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I think the lanes in 635 are too narrow. I'd rather have 3 wider safer lanes than 4 lanes so narrow drivers practically rub elbows. No wonder there's so many accidents on that road.

It's not the narrow lanes. It's people treating it like a residential street. The left hand lane is for passing and going fast, not idling along at 50 M.P.H. like I see so many people do. It's a big traffic hazard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 03:02 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Get ready for a fun decade of construction

LBJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyhM6sWEOOc

DFW Connector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJhcXr5hN4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr9Tz...eature=related

North 820/183

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DXkZ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLfdP...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDEEA...eature=related

I-30 Arlington

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzxfC...ture=geosearch[/quote]

There's also the PGBT Eastern extension and interchange with I-30 which is 60% complete, the 121/75 interchange, Southwest Parkway, I-35E from downtown to Lake Dallas and possibly I-30 through east Dallas and Project Pegasus that could all start this decade.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:16 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
I ironically saw this on the news last night.

Dallas maps plan to repair long-neglected streets | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Local News

"Data from the van shows Council District 6, covering West and Northwest Dallas; District 13 in North Dallas; and District 9 in the White Rock area have streets below 80 percent satisfactory."

"To keep street improvements going, the city is looking at another bond election soon.
But with Dallas carrying the highest debt load per capita among big cities in Texas — $1,500 per resident — the political debate for more debt could be as bumpy as some of the streets."

Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Exactly

The commute times comparing D/FW & Houston differ very little.

Having so many friends down there & driving the freeways often it seems Momof2 would know this.

She also said there is hardly any traffic on I-20 east bound from Dallas...she obviously doesn't ever make it past Terrell because all the way to the Shreveport its choked with traffic & major accidents involving 18 wheelers are a common occurrence

In Southeast Dallas however & Southern Mesquite it is still very rural with wide open prairie as far as the eye can see. Looks like the perfect place for tornado chasers to go catch their next fix. Maybe this is the small segment of I-20 she's referring to?
So, are we talking traffic IN Dallas County and the immediate area or are we talking traffic on the STATE LEVEL! This thread is titled "Dallas Freeways". I did not realize that you had carried it all the way over to mean ALL highways that go THRU Dallas and countinue on and the traffic they see all the way to the border.

And yes, I've traveled all the way on I-20 well past Terrell many a times. But we were not discussing traffic on I-20 FOUR COUNTIES AWAY from Dallas County.

Quote:

Dallas maps plan to repair long-neglected streets | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Local News

"Data from the van shows Council District 6, covering West and Northwest Dallas; District 13 in North Dallas; and District 9 in the White Rock area have streets below 80 percent satisfactory."

"To keep street improvements going, the city is looking at another bond election soon.
But with Dallas carrying the highest debt load per capita among big cities in Texas — $1,500 per resident — the political debate for more debt could be as bumpy as some of the streets."
That is CITY STREETS!!!!!
Once again, we WERE discussing the highways IN Dallas County and the immediate area.
The CITY pays to maintain roads in their jurisdiciton. The state and federal government pay for HIGHWAYS!!!! It really is pretty simple to understand. Well, for most people it is.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:

I'm sure this is normal for large cities. I'd be surprised if its not the same for Houston, Austin and San Antonio, I'd be surprised. When I lived in Austin, the streets were bad. I work in Houston a lot, especially in the Greenway Parks area and just north of Herman Park and just west of downtown and those are some bad streets. I think its simply common in bigger cities just from a volume standpoint. Dallas has its bad streets, no denying.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
We are talking about Dallas Freeways!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
You have to drive down city streets to get to those freeways am I not correct?

Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
We are talking about Dallas Freeways!!!!!!
No, we are talking the greatness of Matt's favorite city in the whole entire world and how bad Dallas is and every single street IN the city and every single highway that runs thru it and even how bad that highway is 200 miles away from Dallas but still including it in how bad Dallas traffic is. Don't you get it

Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You have to drive down city streets to get to those freeways am I not correct?
This thread is titled "Dallas Freeways". If you would like to discuss the issue of the city streets then start a thread for that subject. Once again, these two issues are funded by two DIFFERENT entities.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,844 times
I use to take I-20 regularly when I stayed off Bonnie View, the only part of I-20 that gets regular heavy traffic is around Marvin D. Love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas