Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just braved the New Years crowds at Central Market in Dallas to buy some champagne for tonight. At the express lane, we were told we both had to show our ids to buy it. This was no problem, as we are both legal, but I do not think this is Texas law (as our cashier told us) and it could be very problematic.

What if I had not brought my purse? What if my 19 year old brother had been with us? If my parents go shopping with their teenagers, or even young children, can they not buy alcohol?

Anybody ever heard of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I was behind a young couple buying alcohol at Tom Thumb. The male was actually making the purchase, but the cashier carded both people. He was over 21. She had no ID with her but said she was 20. The cashier couldn't sell the male the alcohol. When it came my turn I asked what happened. The cashier said it was TABC rule that all standing there get carded and be 21. I am sure the next store they went to, the underage girlfriend stayed in the car while the boyfriend went in to purchase. Parents are always allowed to provide their own children alcohol, I believe.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM

I understand the desire to avoid providing alcohol to minors, but if this really is the law, like all things TABC, it is ridiculous. How do you know the familial relationship of the people standing in front of you? I've never seen this happen at restaurants.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
The cashier said it was TABC rule that all standing there get carded and be 21
Actually, I looked it up. What the cashier you talked to and what the cashier said today was incorrect:

TABC Age Verification / Checking IDs

So they have the legal right to institute this policy, but it isn't required. With SMU close by, I guess I can see this, but it still annoys me--it makes alcohol sales especially subjective.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:17 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Yeah, this Tom Thumb I go to is right next to UTD.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
My brother, who is well over 21, stopped to buy wine on the way to our family's Christmas Eve dinner last week and the cashier refused to sell to him because he said his ID didn't look enough like him. I believe he's on an 8 or 10 year TXDL and took the picture in his early 20's. Bro started pulling out all of his credit cards, gym card, work ID to prove it was really him and he wasn't using a fake ID. Manager had to get involved before he was able to purchase.

This was a Tom Thumb across from CM on Lovers. They must be on high alert over there this holiday season!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:06 PM

264 posts, read 702,110 times
Looks as if the TABC is on their annual crusade to justify their hefty budget. When I worked for Budweiser, they would crack down on us every now & then. Things like delivering beer to stores before 7 am. There are some in Austin who favor getting rid of the TABC & letting local law enforcement handle things.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:17 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
It's because the TABC is a bunch of bureaucratic pigs. They regularly conduct "stings" and arrest cashiers and store clerks for no ID'ing people. They can be charged with a class a misdemeanor, face a fine of $3000, and if the DA really wants to be a jerk jail time. Please don't take it out on the store clerks we are just trying to do our jobs. I didn't ID a girl who was undercover for TABC in 2008 and not only did I lose my job that I had been at for 7 years, but I spent the night in Lew Sterret and was in and out for court for almost a year. I was able to get my case dismissed but it was still a nightmare and very expensive.

I cant tell you how many times I have cussed out simply because I ask for the ID's of both parties.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
two points--
1--the law says that certain people in certain situations MUST BE carded--
so if you fail to follow the law, then you put yourself in jeopary for punishment
IF certain stores at certain times go beyond the normal policies--that is not TABC's fault--it is the liability situation involved in selling alcohol to minors that a store and its employees can become involved in IF/WHEN someone they sell to is hurt or injures someone else because of drinking that alcohol...

2--do you think that boyfriend was going to drink that w/o offering some to his underage girlfriend???
Of course not--and they were likely going some place where there would be other underage drinkers and also likely drinkers OF AGE who will drink too much...

People don't seem to get the idea that drinking too much is dangerous--for the drinkers and those around them--especially if they are driving...
NYE just gives people a tacit approval to do what they normally do at other times--celebrate, drink immoderately, and abstain from responsibility for their actions...

I have been in the emergency room on two separate New Year's Eves for problems not related to drinking and driving--one in Houston and one in the DFW area--and seen victims of car accidents brought into the ER both times as result of too much alcohol...
life lessons that some people don't live through...

Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 AM

13 posts, read 30,612 times
Yes it is annoying and highly stupid.

It serves no purpose what-so-ever. Whenever some cashier did that to me I would just tell my girlfriend to walk outside (or walk out myself if I didnt have my ID on me while she bought it) and I would go get in another line.

I dont blame the store though they are just trying to cover their backsides, it's the TABC thats the source of it.

Im willing to bet money this rule hasnt stopped one single underage person from obtaining alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas