Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,876,309 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Dallas and must say, I am totally in love with Central Market. I live just off Preston near Royal and absolutely adore the smaller Central Market there. Have been to the larger location on Lovers but it feels too mass. Every day, I find some reason to "need" something and run to the Central Market at Preston and Royal. . Crazy obsession....maybe?
The real question, why, why, why does anyone even darken the doors of Whole Foods when Central Market is available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Just moved to Dallas and must say, I am totally in love with Central Market. I live just off Preston near Royal and absolutely adore the smaller Central Market there. Have been to the larger location on Lovers but it feels too mass. Every day, I find some reason to "need" something and run to the Central Market at Preston and Royal. . Crazy obsession....maybe?
The real question, why, why, why does anyone even darken the doors of Whole Foods when Central Market is available?
Because they're not the same store and don't cater to the exact same clientele.

I go to Whole Foods because Central Market does not carry some of the specific items I get at Whole Foods...and vice versa. I don't see the stores as competing with each other. CM is a high-priced, high-end 'foodie' store. WF is for people who want organic, natural, sustainable food (that also comes at a high price) or for people on the gluten-free bandwagon.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,175,976 times
Yeah, I once went looking for gluten-free bread at Central Market and they didn't have a clue. This was some time ago though so it might be different now. But I do prefer CM's produce.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM

812 posts, read 2,185,958 times
We like Whole Foods' steaks.

Love the new one open in Allen/Fairview.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,328,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I go to Whole Foods because Central Market does not carry some of the specific items I get at Whole Foods...and vice versa. I don't see the stores as competing with each other. CM is a high-priced, high-end 'foodie' store. WF is for people who want organic, natural, sustainable food (that also comes at a high price) or for people on the gluten-free bandwagon.
This. They are both great stores and cater to different customers.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM

11,868 posts, read 26,918,130 times
Quote:
Agreed. I was never a fan of Whole Foods simply because I'm not a fan of organic, gluten-free, etc. food.

I love Central Market for their meats and produce selections, and the prepared foods and bakery just complete the picture.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,684,989 times
Either one is expensive.... CM or WF... my wife likes both though. I try to stay away because of the cost, but they are both nice places to shop for food and your stomach always leaves happy.

But certain things are ridiculous like $8 for 2 lb of mussels... $8!! At H-Mart, it's $2.99 for the same 2 lb of mussels.. and last time I checked, there's no difference between the 2 bags of mussels.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM

718 posts, read 1,391,269 times
Quote:

Agree. I use both store on a regular basis for different products .

Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,560,698 times
Quote:

Yep...what she said!

I used to frequent WF a lot, because my son has milk/egg/nut allergies, and they carry many allergy-free brands and products. My local Kroger Marketplace carries just about all that stuff now, so I don't go nearly as much. Only thing I really miss from there is the Austin-based Out to Lunch brand hummus...yum!

I liked to go to CM for lunch because they had a great prepared menu.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM

871 posts, read 2,692,468 times
I've come on here before asking for Italian Delis other than Jimmy's (because of location) so I could find the most delicious deli meat ever, hot coppa. On NYE I went to Plano CM and now they finally have it, and it comes from the company Molinari, which is based in SF and I'm a big fan. Only knock is they charge the regular price $17.99/pound, while Jimmy's still has the ridiculously and suspiciously low $9.99/pound. I'm okay with the price because the Molinari Hot Coppa is expensive, it makes sense.

FF to today when I find myself at that Preston/Royal CM, sure enough they have (Molinari) hot coppa too! So now I really test my luck and ask for a sandwich but with a quarter pound of hot coppa. Sure enough they do it...and ONLY charge me the price for a regular sandwich with cheese ($6.29), when the Hot Coppa alone would have cost $4.50.

Seems like now CM's around here in general are carring Molinari Deli Meats, which means Hot Coppa. Try it, it's pretty awesome stuff. Make sure you specify HOT coppa, it has an extra kick to it.

But yeah, I love Central Market and it totally pwns Whole Foods in many respects (not just the now availability of hot coppa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas