Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,929,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizmama View Post
Wow, great info thanks. Yes, a short commute is desired...
Ok, so Richardson... Do you know if there are any newer homes being built in or near Richardson?
Not too much. Toll Brothers currently has a small patio/zero-lot-line development in north Richardson, but it would feed into the Plano ISD schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Northeast Richardson has some new homes, but that's not my favorite part of Richardson at all. Of course, I prefer the architecture and green feel of established neighborhoods, so our tastes are probably different!

I'll throw in another plug for Central Market although I don't shop there super-often (very pricey and I have about 17 markets closer to my house). They have the most beautiful vegetables. They are way better than Whole Foods'. I often see less than fresh (read: limp) lettuce and other veggies at both the Tom Thumb and the small Whole Foods in Richardson. The Whole Foods in Plano is a much bigger store but I haven't been there in months so I don't know about their produce quality. Kroger on Beltline and Coit actually has really nice produce (not CM quality tho), and I like Sprouts also.

If I had your budget, I'd be looking in Canyon Creek. Beautiful neighborhood.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,920 times
The Whole Foods at Coit and Beltline is the worst one of them all. It's grungy and not well cared for.
But...the same corner does have Thai Soon!!! My fave place for pad kee mow. Only takes 20 minutes from my home near White Rock Lake at lunchtime - that's not too terrible fo a drive, IMO.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
The Lakewood / East Dallas area not only has a Whole Foods but also a Central Market. And it has many specialty gourmet shops that are frequented by the best chefs in town (many of whom live in this area). The Farmer's Market Downtown is less than a 10 minute drive.

It's also a very pedestrian-friendly area.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,920 times
I'll mention White Rock Local Market as another great point of the neighborhoods around White Rock Lake. Although the market is dormant now like the grass, it's a great place to stop into twice/month.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:43 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
I grew up in Lakewood and my sister lives in the Los Angeles area. Most everything we like to do out there is located in the West LA/Hollywood area. So maybe that will tell you something!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 10,533 times
The Richardson area is just fine. Plano has a bunch of people with stiff sticks stuck up their butts.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM

58 posts, read 142,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Hello Kaizmama.

In August of 2009, we moved from Torrance, CA (the town where I grew up) to Dallas. I also lived and worked in West LA for a long time (Pico and Sepulvida). We area also liberal and multi-ethnic (I am of Middle Eastern discent and my wife is Thai). We live in North Dallas, very close to the Galleria, which is an ethnically diverse area (the census dictates that our neighborhood is 38% Hispanic, 36% White, 16% Asian, and 10% Black).

Richardson and Plano are very nice areas. Plano is very conservative, but home to a very large Asian (particularly Chinese and Indian) community. Richardson is more moderate and also home to a large Asian community. Personally, I prefer Richardson. They also have very good schools. Carrollton is also another good ethnically diverse suburb not to far away.

As for the Bohemian neighborhoods like Venice, there arent too many of those here. Bishop Arts is the most in a California sence. Lakewood is a liberal neighborhood, but I wouldnt call it boehemian.

In Dallas, dont plan on walking anywhere unless you live in the city center.

The hardest adjustment has been the natural layout. There are no mountains, beaches, or deserts close by. Its not a particularly attractive area.

I have not encountered any problems finding people who think like me, I have not had problems finding diversity, etc. I dont think you will either. Water finds its won level. Be yourself and you will attract people like you no matter where you are.

Not ture at all actually. Dallas is a blue city and Dallas county is also blue. The suburbs and rural areas around Dallas and Dallas county are however, very conservative.

Thats kind of the story with Texas in general. The major cities and their inner burbs are liberal/moderate, but the suburbs and rural areas are conservative.
We also moved from So Cal, but we went the opposite. We wanted the conservative neighborhoods because we were tired of all the hippies ruining everything. So I guess it goes both ways. In fact, CA is the same, where the libs hang out in the cities, and the "uptight conservatives" live in the less congested rural areas. It's just that there is more of them in the cities in CA.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 PM

56 posts, read 147,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Northeast Richardson has some new homes, but that'
If I had your budget, I'd be looking in Canyon Creek. Beautiful neighborhood.
The company my husband will be working at is Samsung- it's address is Richardson but it's quite close to Plano. Nearest ross streets are N Plano and E Renner.

Is the commute from Canyon Creek to Richardson decent?

East Dallas has been recommended by some but I'm not sure how that commute would be?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
Quote:
Is the commute from Canyon Creek to Richardson decent?
Canyon Creek is the part of Richardson west of 75 and north of Campbell. It's VERY pretty!! Drive to the Samsung building would be about 5 minutes!

Quote:
East Dallas has been recommended by some but I'm not sure how that commute would be?
30-45 minutes depending on traffic. I used to drive stright up Lake Highlands Drive/Plano Road from East Dallas. The bad thing there was a BUNCH of school zones...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas