Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 AM

87 posts, read 373,263 times

Advertisements

Any horror stories about Ashton Woods Homes in the Dallas area? We're moving to McKinney and we selected Ashton Woods as the builder. I would like to hear any negative or positive feedback if possible. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:36 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
I have not heard anything negative on Ashton Woods Homes. They are not a huge inventory builder like some are so that is kind of a good thing. Before you buy drive around the neighborhood and ask people w/ an AW home how it has been and if they did have trouble how willing were they to fix it properly. That is the key word, properly. Some will put a band-aid fix on it and let you deal w/ the problem when it arises later after the warranty period. The laws in Texas to protect homeowners against builders are not good. The ones sitting on the state board for grievances are builders themselves. I would also google to see if you can find anything and another thing to do is look up the Dallas & Collin County sites for litigation. See if they have any cases in their history. While the Better Business Bureau may help w/ some things this is not one of them. If you write a letter to the BBB about a problem w/ the builder all the builder has to do is respond to the BBB that they have made an offer to fix or rectify the problem or that their investigation(s) show that there is not a problem. So that is worthless.

Good luck and welcome to the area

Old 08-22-2006, 08:21 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
momof2dfw,

Are there any builders that are known locally for quality ?

I like the offerings I've seen from Darling and Drees. Do you know of any 'fudd' on these two. Darling especially seems to pay close attention to detail.

Out here, we have guys like KB...KB is junk compared to what I saw in Texas.

Your low-end builders would be luxury builders in Socal.

Guess it is just a supply/demand relationship.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:13 PM

I like Drees. I have not heard any complaints on Drees at all. I had a remodeling contractor tell me that he had a Drees home built because he liked their quality of workmanship and they let you tweak things that other builders will not. Then he went in and did more upgrades. Darling is a local company and they also are pretty good from what I have heard. They build in all price ranges but in smaller numbers than the big mega builders. My sister lives in a Darling Home and has been happy.

Yep, KB I would try to avoid these builders: Centex aka Fox & Jacobs, KB, D.R. Horton, Kimball-Hill (and there are more but they are not coming to mind). Drive thru the neigbhorhood they are building in. Ask people already living there and also notice if all of the houses look the same. Do they build the same floorplan next to each other or even 1-2 houses apart? Do they have any drive up appeal when it comes to the architecture and the landscaping? Or are they giving you a basic box w/ nothing extra allowed like a sprinkler system, ceramic tile, wood floors, landscaping, fence, etc. Drive thru neighborhoods that they have already finished and see how they have been kept up. This can be a very good indication of how the people that buy that builders products at that price point take care of their property.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 30,463 times
Exclamation Ashton Woods Homes - DO NOT BUY

You need to be a lawyer if you're daring enough to buy from this builder because you will have to file suit! Mold has been in 50% of the units Ashton Woods has built in our development. They do not disclose the level of damage and try to sweep things under the rug. The next step is to leave you high and dry with product that can not be sold.

I have been in my condo for almost a year. The original buyer. We have curbs crumbling, gutters leaking, water pooling, rusting railings, busted doors, and numerous interior pipe leaks (one took 6 months to fix). The plumber on a few calls noted I was missing parts on a brand new fixture. I'm trying not to sound too crazy here but email me at rvs12@aol.com and I will send pictures. Judge for yourself but either don't move or keep renting.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 30,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl_cls01 View Post
Any horror stories about Ashton Woods Homes in the Dallas area? We're moving to McKinney and we selected Ashton Woods as the builder. I would like to hear any negative or positive feedback if possible. Thanks in advance.
I have an Ashton Woods Home that is 3 years old. There is a plumbing leak under the slab. Estimates to fix this start at $1200. The plumber who looked at the leak said the builder must have kinked the line when they laid the lines down. This is a case of shoddy workmanship. AW isn't standing behind their product. Their warranty is only good for one year on plumbing. Estimates to fix this problem start at $1200. The warranty on my car is better than on my house yet it's a fraction of the cost. Sad, isn't it? I don't recommend Ashton Woods--unless you can get a better warranty.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:23 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,098 times
Momof2dfw....you Amaze Me With Your Information!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:28 AM

13 posts, read 121,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Yep, KB I would try to avoid these builders: Centex aka Fox & Jacobs, KB, D.R. Horton, Kimball-Hill (and there are more but they are not coming to mind).
Yes, it is amazing how she listed the fortune 500 builders that have been providing quality homes for over fifty years and fails to mention the fly-by-night operations in the Dallas area. That is TRUELY amazing!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon4th View Post
Yes, it is amazing how she listed the fortune 500 builders that have been providing quality homes for over fifty years and fails to mention the fly-by-night operations in the Dallas area. That is TRUELY amazing!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, it's the truth. Some people don't have problems with their homes and that is great. I had a Centex, had MAJOR problems and found out the truth about them and their worthless warranty. No, I'm not an angry person at all. I'm just aware of how they act. Even the state appointed board to protect homeowners from builders and to help them when there are problems is known to be full of builders that are there to protect their own interests. A home is a persons most expensive investment and when a builder treats them like dirt..... well, don't be upset to hear about the dirt. Anything I've said about these builders is public knowledge as one can easily find out any and all lawsuits that have been filed against them and there have been numerous news reports about some of these builders. Sorry if the truth hurts but I'm just being helpful when someone asks if there have been any problems about a builder, I'm not going to lie. Have a nice day.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 AM

13 posts, read 121,207 times
Ok, now tell me about your experience with KB, D.R. Horton, and others. You always provide negative info based on your experience or those of your friends. Telling people to stay away from a builder because YOU had a bad experience does not challenge the fact that their are thousands of satisfied customers that will tell you all about their positive experiences.

There are Pros and Cons in dealing with all builders. You should provide both to make your statements valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas