Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 09:49 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Traffic @ N.Garland/GBush. You should drive the area, go into walmart and check the people out.
LOL, what exactly is that even supposed to MEAN?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 11:51 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Walmart customers are pretty much identical anywhere you go. If you want to enjoy a sophisticated upscale ambience, Walmart's not the place.

Old 08-22-2023, 03:44 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Purely anecdotal opinion here. My inlaws are 5 minutes from Firewheel mall and my parents are in Rowlett, but on the border with Garland so Im always passing through that area all the time. I think the mall in general has declined. I honestly think it never really recovered from the pandemic. It's half empty even on the weekends. The movie theater is frankly nasty now. We used to come down from Wylie all the time, now we dont bother. My inlaws havent reported much in the way of crime, but my Nextdoor app for some reason picks up a lot of Garland activity reporting breakins and other crimes all the time. Your best bet would be to ask the Garland Police their thoughts on the crime levels. It's still cant be beat for location and ease of getting around since you have the PGBT right there, but if your heart is sold on this area and your budget allows, I would probably look at Murphy, Sachse and Far east Richardson instead.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:54 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Traffic @ N.Garland/GBush. You should drive the area, go into walmart and check the people out.
Is N Garland crowd any different from the Central or South Garland? That is a good way to identifying the community that you will be living with. We've used that strategy in the past.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:05 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Purely anecdotal opinion here. My inlaws are 5 minutes from Firewheel mall and my parents are in Rowlett, but on the border with Garland so Im always passing through that area all the time. I think the mall in general has declined. I honestly think it never really recovered from the pandemic. It's half empty even on the weekends. The movie theater is frankly nasty now. We used to come down from Wylie all the time, now we dont bother. My inlaws havent reported much in the way of crime, but my Nextdoor app for some reason picks up a lot of Garland activity reporting breakins and other crimes all the time. Your best bet would be to ask the Garland Police their thoughts on the crime levels. It's still cant be beat for location and ease of getting around since you have the PGBT right there, but if your heart is sold on this area and your budget allows, I would probably look at Murphy, Sachse and Far east Richardson instead.
Thank you, I've been told N Garland area bordering with Wylie/Murphy or even N Richardson is nicer but I guess not. I've recently seen a video by a news channel about Firewheel Golf course getting flooded a few years back almost looking like a tsunami and also a video on a cop getting rescued in flood waters of Sachse.

Also my house price range is up to 700k and looking to buy something that is built in 2000 or later. I'm also looking for more privacy if possible as all these homes are so close to each other. I used to live in Prosper but reason of me moving to this area is because my kids will be going to a private school in Garland near Hwy 75.

I have a hard time trusting realtors so trying my best to do my own research. At this point I've over researched and coming around to the same information over and over.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:09 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Thank you, I've been told N Garland area bordering with Wylie/Murphy or even N Richardson is nicer but I guess not. I've recently seen a video by a news channel about Firewheel Golf course getting flooded a few years back almost looking like a tsunami and also a video on a cop getting rescued in flood waters of Sachse.

Also my house price range is up to 700k and looking to buy something that is built in 2000 or later. I'm also looking for more privacy if possible as all these homes are so close to each other. I used to live in Prosper but reason of me moving to this area is because my kids will be going to a private school in Garland near Hwy 75.

I have a hard time trusting realtors so trying my best to do my own research. At this point I've over researched and coming around to the same information over and over.
For your budget range, I would look in Murphy. You should find something in that range, and it's an easy drive to Garland with no need to get on highways. Even better, you have a decent backup for schools if you decide to go public especially if you get Murphy in Plano ISD.

Old 08-23-2023, 07:56 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,216 times
When it rains super super monsoon rains, yes the golf course will become lake firewheel and it will also drain just as fast as it filled up. You can live on the golf course and the water is no threat to you. There is a section on Campbell road that floods but again, no threat to homes. There is a area called Rowlett Creek Preserve which is a Mountain/hiking park, floods also buts its also in a flood plain. I promise you, there is no house flooding anywhere close by. The video you saw of a cop/fireman stuck in a creek is because a car went through it. There are some roads near creeks that flood

Firewheel backs up to NE Richardson which is very nice and I believe is heavy Asian Indian. (Mill+ homes but I guess thats nothing today) This area backs up to Plano, Richardson, Sachse and Rowlett. You will have to go through Richardson, Plano, Sachse to get to Murphy/Wylie depending on the way you go. Nothing wrong with Murphy/Wylie. I think Murphy might be heavy Asian Indian if that is any issue.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:58 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
The Firewheel Golf Course is built on low-lying land that's in a 100-year flood plan and it can flood. This is similar to many other golf courses throughout DFW, such as Riverside in Arlington, and the Grapevine Municipal Golf Course. That land can't be used to build houses because it is in a flood plain, but it is just fine for golf courses where no structures are at risk. As tmtex says, the houses surrounding the golf course are not in the flood plain and are not at risk of flooding.

I agree that for your price range, you'll be better off buying in Murphy. The old rule about "not buying the nicest house in the neighborhood" would definitely apply if you spent that kind of money on a house in North Garland. If you want to avoid buying an older house, that is your call, but you will limit your available choices, and you may miss out on some very nice houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas