Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 AM

18 posts, read 41,904 times

Advertisements

I realize Dallas in in the "sun" belt, but where is the nearest/best place I can find a bunny slope to teach my kids how to ski? Flying to the Rockies seems a little overkill for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
New Mexico.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
New Mexico or Colorado

Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Yep, the closest place as the crow flies is Ski Cloudcroft in Cloudcroft, NM. That's a 10 hour drive to get to a place struggles to get enough snow to operate for even a few weeks each season.

Higher-quality NM ski places like Ruidiso or Taos are around 12 hours away by car. By then, you might as well get in a plane and fly anywhere you want.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Oh man, I thought this was a thread about 'Bolivian Marching Powder', a la Bright Lights, Big City, what a let down.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Flying to the Rockies seems a little overkill for that.
Mid-80's, Continental Airlines had an ad in the Houston Chronicle to 'Ski Texas'. The ad showed a map of the 1836 Republic of Texas which included a part of Colorado. The Rio Grande River starts up there somewhere.

As Big G alludes above, it may be easier as well as cheaper and take less time to fly to Denver and drive to Summit County for some of the best skiing in the U.S.

New Mexico slopes around Taos may be closer but runs are typically shorter and may be more ice than snow. Colorado has much more elevation and a longer season.

Cloudcroft is a great outdoors for summer vacation.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Mid-80's, Continental Airlines had an ad in the Houston Chronicle to 'Ski Texas'. The ad showed a map of the 1836 Republic of Texas which included a part of Colorado. The Rio Grande River starts up there somewhere.

As Big G alludes above, it may be easier as well as cheaper and take less time to fly to Denver and drive to Summit County for some of the best skiing in the U.S.

New Mexico slopes around Taos may be closer but runs are typically shorter and may be more ice than snow. Colorado has much more elevation and a longer season.

Cloudcroft is a great outdoors for summer vacation.
By the way, if you do go to Colorado, don't mention that 1836 Republic of Texas thing.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
It's a good idea not to say you are from Texas when alone on a ski lift chair with one of them.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's a good idea not to say you are from Texas when alone on a ski lift chair with one of them.
HAHAHA! This past week, Spring Break for most of Texas, a good chunk of Colorado was turned into Texas. I was on one ski lift by myself to go meet up w/ the group. Two men were on it with me and one sitting by me asked where I was from, "Dallas" in my usual chipper sunshiney self. His response, "There are an awful lot of Texans here this week". DUH! It's SPRING BREAK! He was from California. The other guy was from Michigan. Needless to say all my cheerfulness went out the window with the cold shoulder I got from the Californian.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleFly View Post
I realize Dallas in in the "sun" belt, but where is the nearest/best place I can find a bunny slope to teach my kids how to ski? Flying to the Rockies seems a little overkill for that.
As some of the others mentioned, you may as well get on a plane and fly there.

Cloudcroft was open last season, which is a very, very VERY rare occurence. It never opened this year.

Ruidoso was also good last year; this year, ho-hum....inconsistent openings, inconsistent chairlift runs, everything. Ski Apache and CC are just too far south to be worth much as ski areas, though Ski Apache can be great if the conditions are good, and they are running all of the lifts.

That just doesn't happen very often.

So your next best bets are Taos, Sipapu and Santa Fe.

Taos is more likely to have the best snow.

Sipapu is a tiny ski area in Taos county, about 25 miles south of Taos. It is very family-friendly, and has accomodations that are very convenient, if not fancy at all. It's very rustic, to say the least. But it's very easy--walk out the back door of the restaurant (which had the best food in the world when I was there last in 2006) and there are the lifts. It's an easy walk to the lifts from any of the lodging, which is a hodgepodge of cabins, mobile homes and a small motel.

So those are the driving options.

But.....most convenient to someone from Dallas would be Purgatory/Durango Mountain Resort outside of Durango, CO. The La Plata regional airport is going to start direct flights from Dallas to Durango in June 2011, American Eagle. It's a trial run, and I hope it is successful enough that it becomes permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas