Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:31 AM

87 posts, read 315,718 times

Advertisements

or do we need to rebuild the entire pool?

We are looking at homes and some of them have diving pools.
We have a toddler and a baby, so a diving pool is too deep for us.
We've been told that to change it to a playpool, we would need to demolish and rebuild the pool basically from scratch.
Is there any easier way to close off the deep end of the pool?

Also, what do you think about salt water pools vs. regular?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:09 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
I would just leave it as a diving pool. Older kids (like age 6 and up) like the deep ends and jumping off the board and your kids will get older.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 PM

50 posts, read 162,144 times
I agree with FarNorthDallas in that you should leave it. It's very labor intensive to demolish and rebuild and thus very expensive. It's not worth it if the existing structure is sound. Unfortunately, young children can get into trouble in even a mere few inches of water so perhaps a baby fence would suit your needs. Here in Florida, it's mandatory for a baby gate to be in place on any new construction pool before it'll pass the final inspection and satisfy the insurance companies. If you want an added layer of security, you could get a pool alarm too.

As far as salt systems, I wouldn't necessarily spend the money on one. Sure they generate their own chlorine but they have their quirks too. Don't let anyone tell you that they are "maintenance-free" systems because they are not. You still need to test the water and balance regularly and there are times when you'll have to shock to help oxidize and control algae. In addition, you'll need to clean the conversion cell at least twice a year and when you need to replace said cell, they can cost $300 to $700+ depending on the system. I'm not trying to talk you out of a salt pool. I'm just pointing out a few things that the sales person may not mention.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,487,247 times
i 2nd farnorthdallas. i'm no pool expert, but later your kids will love the deep end and diving board. for now you could just put a fence around the pool and only let them in when you're right there with them. i know it's kind of a hassle - or you could just get a play pool and never let them in it at all until they're older. you and your husband could enjoy it.

and as for the water types, i like the water that's almost fresh water - where you only have to treat it with salt once a year and it's like $18 to maintain all year. so it's not too "chloriney" and not too salty. i have no idea what they're called though... i don't think it's considered a saltwater pool, but i could be wrong.

i don't know if that was helpful at all - but there are my 2 cents!!! (:

Old 06-20-2008, 08:56 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,487,247 times
jaydizzl - what are those pools i'm thinking of? are those considered saltwater pools? we almost got a house that didn't taste or feel salty at all and they said they only put an $18 salt treatment in it every year and after that it was maintenance free (the water). i'm sure there were other costs involved, but they said that's all they did to the water....

Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,670 times
They also have those plastic like covers for swimming pools that look like floors people walk on them. I don't know what they're called. I'd also get a door alarm. I think some places require them if you have children and a pool. So many children die in Phoenix from drownings every year. Every night on the news they remind parents to watch their children and yet they always have these drownings. It's wonderful that you are taking every step!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,260,214 times
When we purchased our first house in Texas, we built a pool and my husband and I disagreed about making it a diving pool vs a play pool. My daughter was 2 and my son was 3 months. Eventually my husband won the argument and I am so glad that he did because the kids just loved it and they grow so fast. They are excellent swimmers too. Just put the mesh looking fence around the pool with an alarm and that way they can still play outside without getting into the pool area.

Naima

Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 PM

87 posts, read 315,718 times
Thank you so much for all of the advice. We've never owned our own pool before, just had access to community pools so we know nothing about pool maintenance, have lots to learn. It does make sense that a deeper pool wouldn't be any more dangerous since any amount of water would be enough for a baby/toddler to get into trouble ... and of course we will always be watching them in the pool.
Having little ones, it didn't occur to me that they would so quickly be at the age when they would want to dive into pool But all of you are so right, in just a couple of years I bet they'll be better swimmers than me.

JayDizzl- thanks so much for explaining the saltwater maintenance issues. I had never heard of saltwater pools before we started our house search and they were listed as a big plus, so we were wondering if it indeed is as great as advertised.

We would really like the kids to have a pool to play in but are nervous about maintenance since we've never owned one before.

Can you recommend a great pool inspector? We would want to make sure all of the equipment is working correctly and that the pool is undamaged. What about a pool servicing company?

Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:27 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,444 times
Put a motorized cover over the pool and keep the pool covered when not it use. This will eliminate most of the crud that gets in there and you will not have to worry about kids. its also cheaper than a fence. Fences have been shown to be of no use due to the fact that kids will see them as something to be climbed.

You can also drown-proof your kids. Look up "water babies" on youtube. You can do this yourself or take some classes. I was swimming at 20 mos and most of my nieces and nephews were swimming no later than two years. They just need to know to not panic and how to make it to the sides as well as how to float on their back.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Well, others said what I was thinking.......... a small child can drown or get into serious trouble in a few inches of water so having a deep pool is not going to change anything. Our pool was here when we bought it and I wish it were a bit deepr. Ours is only 5 1/2' in the center. I'm a NERVOUS WRECK when bigger kids are jumping in scared they are going to hit their head. I also wish ours was bigger because when the big kids jump off the rock I'm scared they are going to go with enough force to hit the wall on the other side. My parents were concerned about having a deep diving pool as well but the house they fell in love with has one. My mother can not swim but they both have enjoyed the heck out of it. My dad is the one the neighbors will be calling on for being out swimming in the middle of the night, lol. If he comes in from work and wants to get in he does no matter what time it is.

If your house has a security alarm there should be a sensor on the back door. Set that zone to IMMEDIATELY go off if and when the door should open. If it does not have a security alarm there is a pool door alarm that places like Leslie's sells for around $100. Just about every city around here now requires this on the door from the house to the pool area even IF your house already has a security alarm that you can have do the same thing.

Also invest in one of the door security chains. Dirt cheap but put it on the back door. We have ours on the back door vs the front door because of the pool. I did not want it on the front door in case there is a fire my kids CAN get out of a door. They are bigger now so the chain on the back door..... really don't know why we still use it but we do faithfully like an old habit.

Depending on how the pool is situated in the yard you can put a fence seperating it from the rest of the yard. If the back of your house is a U-shape you can put a wrought iron fence & gate across the atrium/patio so kids can go out but can't get to the pool. Or, you can fence off the pool and add another door from the house to an area of the yard that is for play and can only acess the pool thru a self-latching gate.

OH, and anyone says they just add 1 thing all year and never worry........ right. You are still going to have to scrub it and keep algae away. That comes with ANY system of pool. We don't have anyone that does our pool as we kind of like doing it ourselves. It really is not that hard and we have a chlorine pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: