Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 05:10 PM

13 posts, read 62,342 times

Advertisements

As we have been looking for areas to live in (we are moving to Dallas from So. Cal.), it seems Murphy is pretty nice. The homes are reasonably priced, the distance does not seem too far to downtown, and the homes actually have yards (we have several kids, so a nice yard is a MUST). The schools seem great as well. I have noticed there are not many trees, which is a big negative. But, other than the fact the trees are virtually non-existent (at least from what I can tell on the internet), it seems like a great place to live with a decent commute to downtown??

Is there something I am missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,542 times
Depends on what you mean by a decent commute.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:37 PM

13 posts, read 62,342 times
A decent commute would be 45 minutes or less.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:51 PM

9 posts, read 32,035 times
Default Murphy

Murphy is a bedroom community (I live here) which has had some poorly managed city management. It's finally got an experienced city manager, so things should be looking up.

Houses are probably reasonable, compared to California standards. It is about 10 minutes from either the Downtown Garland light rail station or the Bush Turnpike light rail station, which gets you into downtown in either 30 minutes (from Garland) or 35 minutes (from Bush Turnpike). I guess it's all relative.

There's a ton of houses for sale, which I'm not sure is good or bad. There's also new construction but I prefer older homes (having built two homes in the past). I guess it's personal preferences.

Another nice place-and my favorite-is East Plano. Do not let a real estate agent say that it's not a good area. There are houses from $300+ over there. Namely the Los Rios area.

You are more than welcome to pm me, if you'd like more information. Do your research. If you go further west, like into Plano, you run the risk of traffic issues and if you work downtown Dallas, you really want to have an easy access to the rail (which is safe, clean and easy to ride).

Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Yes, it is a true "bedroom community" but a nice one. There are several new retail shopping centers that have come into the area and more on the way. As for the lack of trees, you can find them but not in the brand new developments. The larger subdivisions are being built on what was once farm land so trees were not a common site in the middle of a cotton field. If you look into the older neighborhoods of which Murphy has some beautiful ones w/ nice custom homes on larger lots you will find the big mature trees. Also on the more estate lots of 1-3 acres you will find trees. Don't just focus on Murphy if you like that area and I do like it myself. Expand out a bit and check out Lucas (more acreage lots), Parker and far East Plano as mentioned above and on down into that part of Richardson that is Plano ISD. It is true that a lot of realtors that are not familiar w/ this area put it down thinking it is all "bad" but it can't be half bad if the prez for TI lives there , on a LOVELY estate at that. You will find some VERY NICE estates out this way along w/ the trees and small rolling hills but not the bumper to bumper traffic all the time. It is very peaceful.

As for the commute, I don't have to drive from Murphy to downtown in rush hour but know enough people that do and it is not that bad. Leaving 15 minutes earlier can make a huge difference in most cases. One friend says he makes it in well under an hour by leaving 15 minutes earlier than what he should but it gives him time to get to the office and get coffee or stop for Starbucks right by the office.

Yes, there are houses for sale and it may seem like a lot but it is nothing compared to other areas of the metroplex. Murphy and this side are a little more "stable" in that people don't seem to move around as much.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 AM

13 posts, read 30,207 times
Murphy's location is great and the traffic is not too bad - at least not yet. The surrounding areas are nice too - Breckenridge, Firewheel. Check out the homes at Moonlight and Renner if you want trees.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,212 times
Lots of houses for sale all over DFW, market is overburdened. Great buyers market, not specific to any city really. Murphy is a nice safe little city with great schools. Lots of retail being built as was mentioned earlier, I commute from close to Murphy every day, never have many problems.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:59 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasplanner View Post
Another nice place-and my favorite-is East Plano. Do not let a real estate agent say that it's not a good area. There are houses from $300+ over there. Namely the Los Rios area.

Yes, that whole area around there is nice. I didn't know about the area until I went to Los Rios to play golf about two years ago.

I don't know what the deal is with these real estate agents. There are a lot of great neighborhoods around the metroplex, but these realtors seem to tout only a handful of places as 'the good places to live' and then they market them to death.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:24 AM

937 posts, read 2,907,542 times
I'm sure they are getting some money under the table for the marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas