Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
[/b]

We could argue the points of geography, but the original point of my post is that I feel, along with most everyone in my office (we work for a bank that has several offices in NYC) much safer walking around the City than we do walking around DTD.

Why do we feel safer? Is it because there is generally more foot traffic? Is it because there is generally more activity (bars, restaurants, stores, etc.)? Is it because of the police? Is it because you can always catch a cab? I am sure everyone in my office has different reasons, but the point is the same, DTD is still pretty scary and there is not much going on at night that is positive.

Maybe DTD will make a comeback, but I am not so sure. Projects that should be positive, like the Museum Tower, have been a disaster. Moreover, they are building up Uptown and Victory Plaza rather than remodeling space downtown. There are at least two major office buildings facing foreclosure in DT, whereas they are buidling new buildings in Uptown left and right.
That nebulous “they” will get you every time!

No, you feel safer in the NYC business districts. You do not feel safer in "the City". I was making a point about "Manhattanization". Whether you fear it or favor it, it is a poor crutch to fall on.

For the record, the answer is the eyes on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
This video/story paints a positive picture, showing a bustling DMA/Kyle Warren Park/Perot Museum on a holiday Monday:

Free museum admission program popular with the public on first day | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The activity on main street and around the westend is equal to DTFW.If DTD was limited to just those areas it would be as big as DTFW and as busy.
Go to Waco (MUCH smaller and manageable than Fort Worth) and tell me how much busier it is.

DTFW was HORRIBLE a few decades ago. Before the early 90's, it was a place you didn't really want to go to, and even in the mid-90's, a pretty good chunk of the northwest side of downtown wasn't a very desirable place.

And just to give you a visual, here's part of what would be Sundance Square back in the 70's...

... and just to let you know, DTFW's size has not changed that much in just the past few decades.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,993 times
Oh goody. Another Dallas v Fort Worth thread has come back to life. I love how biased and leading the title/question of this thread is. It automatically implies the worst about downtown Dallas and prompts people who prefer Dallas to have to take the defensive. It's like walking up to someone and asking, "Hey, when did you stop beating your wife?"

Anyway, as a former California resident, an outsider, I must say I prefer downtown Dallas. Fort Worth is nice but it is certainly not my preference. I am not a fan of cowboy culture and well, cowboy culture is highly celebrated and everywhere in downtown Fort Worth. With Dallas I enjoy and love Main Street, West End, Victory and the Arts District. Klyde Warren Park is frigg'n EPIC...the proverbial cherry on top. It is right across the street from the Dallas Museum of Art and the Nasher Sculpture Center. From those museums you are in walking distance to the rest of the Arts District. I suppose the biggest reason I prefer Dallas is because I don't have to drive downtown...I never have. I have the option to use public transit. I take DART and get off at whichever station is most convenient for me that day. If I want to visit Uptown before Downtown, I get off the Red Line at Cityplace/Uptown, go to the surface and ride the McKinney Avenue Trolley. The last time I did that I got off at the stop across the street from Klyde Warren Park, took in the sights of the lunchtime crowds and food trucks and then walked the 4-5 blocks to the Perot Museum of Nature and Science. I am excited to see what the next 10 years has in store for downtown Dallas.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
I love how biased and leading the title/question of this thread is. It automatically implies the worst about downtown Dallas and prompts people who prefer Dallas to have to take the defensive. It's like walking up to someone and asking, "Hey, when did you stop beating your wife?"
LOVE IT!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM
JJG

Quote:
Oh goody. Another Dallas v Fort Worth thread has come back to life. I love how biased and leading the title/question of this thread is. It automatically implies the worst about downtown Dallas and prompts people who prefer Dallas to have to take the defensive. It's like walking up to someone and asking, "Hey, when did you stop beating your wife?"
Right. Because it's not like anyone says anything bad about Fort Worth or belittles it in anyway...

Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Right. Because it's not like anyone says anything bad about Fort Worth or belittles it in anyway...
I sure didn't...and I never claimed that other people haven't belittled Fort Worth, did I?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM
JJG

Quote:
I sure didn't...and I never claimed that other people haven't belittled Fort Worth, did I?
Didn't say ya did. Just pointing something out.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Didn't say ya did. Just pointing something out.
Okay...very well. Then why would you feel a need to point that out? That makes it a totally irrelevant response to what I wrote. My original post was simply a critique on the title of the thread. Anyway, moving on...

Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM

I meant to include these photos in post #164, my original post. I took these the day I took the Red Line to Cityplace/Uptown and then rode the MATA Trolley to Klyde Warren Park. I also went ahead and published these on Wikipedia to the Klyde Warren Park article.
Click image for larger version

Name:	KlydeWarrenPark1.jpg
Views:	2213
Size:	844.1 KB
ID:	106568
Click image for larger version

Name:	KlydeWarrenPark3.jpg
Views:	1350
Size:	759.8 KB
ID:	106567
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas