Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 15,910 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Dallas, left in 1981 and have not been back. I love this thread, so many memories. My father was a service repairman with Coca Cola. My mother worked at Lucas B&B, and later at Campisi's Egyptian. I worked there myself in the later 1970's. My favorite BBQ stand was Bob White's (we lived near White Rock Lake). We also ate at Lubys in Lochwood, Wyatt's in Casa Linda, Brownies, and Andersons. My family went real upscale for us and had my High School Graduation party at the Railhead. I hung out in the summer at Harry Stone Recreation Center and my very first paying job was working a concession stand at the Dallas Blackhawks games with some friends. Showing my age, my father took me to see Gone With The Wind at Northpark. It was a re-release to theaters and we got a souvenir program with pictures and back stories about making the movies. We also saw Dr. Zhivago at Northpark - my Dad's favorite movie. Does anyone remember Motley Mansion, where Eastfield College now stands? I remember how creepy it looked. I was way too scared to go up to it, although I know teenagers did. Later I started college at Eastfield and moved on to UTA. I went to Skyline High, we were the second graduating class but the first to do the full 3 years. I remember the first year the building wasn't finished. The sophomores, including me, were at Buckner's Orphanage and the juniors were in somewhere else(I recall them being in a bank but that might be wrong). Does anyone remember a little restaurant on Greenville Avenue called The Odd Penny? I always loved their pizza, even more than the those at Campisi's. When I was working at Campisi's we used to go over to The Point After and wind down. Good memories mostly. Thanks to everyone for a nice trip back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,241,509 times
I know there are lot of local history buffs on here. I found some photos of a Kroger that used to be in the Northpark area.

Pleasant Family Shopping: Kroger in the "Big D", 1965

Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM

38 posts, read 121,427 times
Thank you Mary for this website Wow, lot of pics (and memories). I lived mostly in Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs area for eight years in late 60's -early 70's . Do you know a website where there might be pictures of the old Oak Lawn area?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLM View Post
I grew up in Dallas, left in 1981 and have not been back. I love this thread, so many memories. My father was a service repairman with Coca Cola. My mother worked at Lucas B&B, and later at Campisi's Egyptian. I worked there myself in the later 1970's. My favorite BBQ stand was Bob White's (we lived near White Rock Lake). We also ate at Lubys in Lochwood, Wyatt's in Casa Linda, Brownies, and Andersons. My family went real upscale for us and had my High School Graduation party at the Railhead. I hung out in the summer at Harry Stone Recreation Center and my very first paying job was working a concession stand at the Dallas Blackhawks games with some friends. Showing my age, my father took me to see Gone With The Wind at Northpark. It was a re-release to theaters and we got a souvenir program with pictures and back stories about making the movies. We also saw Dr. Zhivago at Northpark - my Dad's favorite movie. Does anyone remember Motley Mansion, where Eastfield College now stands? I remember how creepy it looked. I was way too scared to go up to it, although I know teenagers did. Later I started college at Eastfield and moved on to UTA. I went to Skyline High, we were the second graduating class but the first to do the full 3 years. I remember the first year the building wasn't finished. The sophomores, including me, were at Buckner's Orphanage and the juniors were in somewhere else(I recall them being in a bank but that might be wrong). Does anyone remember a little restaurant on Greenville Avenue called The Odd Penny? I always loved their pizza, even more than the those at Campisi's. When I was working at Campisi's we used to go over to The Point After and wind down. Good memories mostly. Thanks to everyone for a nice trip back.
Well I know we must have crossed paths - for one thing my mother took me to North Park I and II to see Gone With The Wind for my 10th birthday. Reserved seats! I don't think I got a program as my father would have hit the ceiling -- we NEVER bought programs, which he considered a waste of money...I remember being slightly jealous of a Lakewood Elementary classmate who got a Funny Girl program at the UA Cine' HA...

Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA IN KC View Post
Thank you Mary for this website Wow, lot of pics (and memories). I lived mostly in Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs area for eight years in late 60's -early 70's . Do you know a website where there might be pictures of the old Oak Lawn area?

Don't know of any that have Oak Lawn specifically, but there are quite a few sites and blogs that document retail history.

Groceteria.com | Supermarket History

DISCOUNT STORES OF THE '60S

Cinema Treasures | Texas

Malls of America - Vintage photos of lost Shopping Malls of the '50s, '60s & '70s

Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 AM

104 posts, read 421,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Don't know of any that have Oak Lawn specifically, but there are quite a few sites and blogs that document retail history.

Groceteria.com | Supermarket History

DISCOUNT STORES OF THE '60S

Cinema Treasures | Texas

Malls of America - Vintage photos of lost Shopping Malls of the '50s, '60s & '70s
Check out this thread of Dallas History. Much about cars but really some great pictures. Also check out: www.cruiseforest.com This was a fantastic blast from the past for anyone who used to cruise Forest Lane in North West Dallas in the late 60's thru the mid 80's.
PS, I drove my Buddie's, Memory Lane Bus.
ENJOY!
BLD

History The history of Dallas - THE H.A.M.B.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLM View Post
I remember the Motley mansion, and all of the restaurants you mentioned but not the Odd Penny. I had an office at the corner of Lemmon and Oak Lawn in the mid to late 1980's, and my boss and I ate at the Lucas B&B 5 days a week for breakfast. Does anyone remember the old TV show "Alice"? The characters of Mel and Flo were apparently modeled after Mr. Lucas and one of the waitresses who worked there. The waitress always had earrings and a broach that matched, with a tall blonde wig every day. There was a picture of Mel visiting the place one day, wearing his uniform next to Mr. Lucas who also always wore a white t-shirt and white pants.

Used to frequent Campisi's a LOT back in the '70s and Luby's in Lochwood in the '60s with Miss Inez on the organ.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 AM

104 posts, read 421,580 times
Alright...Where is everybody? Been almost a month since we got the last entry. Did anyone make the Forest Lane Reunion on the 4th of June? My buddy brought his Blown 1955 Chevy and I drove his "Memory Lane" bus. We sat up at the Mobile One Quik Lube across form Tommy's Car wash.There were at least 30 cars in our area alone. A good time was had by all. At 1am My buddy and I took his '55 for one last romp up and down Forest,just like we used to do back in the '70's.
BLD

Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 24,380 times
Scotland Yard was on the north side of NW Hwy in the same big parking lot with the Foxhunter and the Bellringer clubs. It was chrome and glass and used for the original Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders movie.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Found some exterior shots of various Sanger Harris stores around the metroplex, wish they had some interior shots, those are the real gems. I know a lot of you on this thread would appreciate the pics.

The Department Store Museum: Sanger-Harris, Dallas, Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas