Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Was he on the shoulder or not? I can't imagine that his car survived if he wasn't. Imho, it's the rubber neckers who are the real trouble makers.
What do you think partially means in this case? The left 1/3 or so of his car was in the right lane.

Rubber neckers are a problem but not in this case.

ETA- élan I missed your updated post. Consider this post withdrawn.

Last edited by EDS_; 01-16-2012 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
This morning my car reported 20 miles fuel reserves. It dropped to 5 miles after driving 3 miles and I just made it to the gas station before running out.
Sometimes fuel meters aren't reliable.
I agree with that.

But, you didn't run out and cause a traffic snarl.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Saw a guy not quite off the road to the right pouring gas from a gas can into his car last Thursday on 635 near Marsh eastbound. This created near chaos on the road as traffic would normally be light given the time of day.

Thoughts:
1. I've long supported notion behind the, "Holland Tunnel" (it's between NYC and New Jersey) sign that warns of a $500 fine for running out of gas in the tunnel. Fines like that should be enforced everywhere in-which running out of gas causes a traffic snarl.

2. IMO to some extent people who are careless should suffer when they cause others to suffer.
How inconsiderate. Help him instead of complaining. Good God.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:
Saw a guy not quite off the road to the right pouring gas from a gas can into his car last Thursday on 635 near Marsh eastbound. This created near chaos on the road as traffic would normally be light given the time of day.

Thoughts:
1. I've long supported notion behind the, "Holland Tunnel" (it's between NYC and New Jersey) sign that warns of a $500 fine for running out of gas in the tunnel. Fines like that should be enforced everywhere in-which running out of gas causes a traffic snarl.

2. IMO to some extent people who are careless should suffer when they cause others to suffer.
Is Bullet #3 the one where you helped him push his car further onto the shoulder?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 AM

You guys asking me why I didn't help are hysterical. I was in the far left lane. It would have taken me 15 minutes at best to exist ahead and curl back around behind him on side streets. Nice try.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
The most dangerous I've ever seen was a car that was stranded in the HOV lane on I-635 going eastbound between Hillcrest and Preston one morning. Don't know if the guy was out of gas or the car malfunctioned for some reason... but this dude was out of the car, had raised the trunk lid up and was standing behind it frantically waving, trying to signal cars to go around him! Geez!

I called 911 and requested some police help... otherwise, he was well on his way to becoming a car sandwich!

Also, FYI here is the TX DPS Stranded Motorist Hotline info that all of us need to keep handy.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Let's get out the pitchforks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
oops, just saw he was partially in the right lane. Omg, somebody should have helped push him out of the way. That's an accident waiting to happen.
+1.

But why help someone in need, when you can go home to the Internet and complain about the guy, instead? As if the OP has never, in his entire life, screwed something up that affected other people.

Disclaimer: My wife ran out of gas on the PGBT last year. Yes, she made a mistake. She felt really stupid. Fortunately, the NTTA rescue truck bailed her out and prevented her from incurring the wrath of all those perfect people out there.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Let's get out the pitchforks!

+1.

But why help someone in need, when you can go home to the Internet and complain about the guy, instead? As if the OP has never, in his entire life, screwed something up that affected other people.

Disclaimer: My wife ran out of gas on the PGBT last year. Yes, she made a mistake. She felt really stupid. Fortunately, the NTTA rescue truck bailed her out and prevented her from incurring the wrath of all those perfect people out there.
Don't be condescending it's beneath you.

No one in my position would have helped given the circumstances. I would have had to stop my car 100% blocking the left lane - then dodged cars on foot across three lanes to traffic to help.

I'm most certain I've never inconvenienced hundreds of people at one time.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
The most dangerous I've ever seen was a car that was stranded in the HOV lane on I-635 going eastbound between Hillcrest and Preston one morning. Don't know if the guy was out of gas or the car malfunctioned for some reason... but this dude was out of the car, had raised the trunk lid up and was standing behind it frantically waving, trying to signal cars to go around him! Geez!

I called 911 and requested some police help... otherwise, he was well on his way to becoming a car sandwich!

Also, FYI here is the TX DPS Stranded Motorist Hotline info that all of us need to keep handy.
People get killed in that situation regulary. Roy Tarpley's girlfriend/fiancé/wife comes to mind.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM

653 posts, read 945,915 times
Quote:
Poor rationalization on your part. This guy slowed hundreds of drivers at a minimum. Also given the current construction pinchpoints he made an already dangerous spot much more dangerous. Would you be so flip if a loved one of yours had had been delayed trying to get to a doctor?
Or if a loved one was being rushed to the ER in an ambulance (I've been through this too many times first hand recently). Lanes must remain open at ALL TIMES!

I totally agree with the OP. Yeah, stuff happens, but at least get your car off the road so emergency vehicles aren't possibly stuck in traffic! When it's your loved one hanging on for dear life, I guarantee this will become more important to every person saying "so the guy ran out of gas and blocked traffic, stuff happens."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas