Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,504 times

Advertisements

Greetings all.

I am a single woman in my mid/late 20's. I am self employed and work from my "home" (my laptop, thus my office, travels well) :-) I have no children and am no longer in a serious relationship that will keep me in Michigan .

I have been thinking of Dallas for a few years now. At one point my only desire once leaving Michigan (grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan, do a lot of business in and around all suburbs of Detroit, live outside of Ann Arbor right now) was to move to Atlanta. As I've gotten older and the economy has changed, my desires too have changed. I no longer wish to put down roots in Atlanta.

I have NEVER been to Dallas, or Texas for that matter. But for some reason, my heart says I want to be in Dallas.

I average about 42k a year, this can fluctuate by as +/- 10k in any year. As I am single with no pets and no children, this amount of money works quite well for me.

I have never owned a home. I am a bit afraid of the permanence and responsibility of it and thought I'd buy my first home once I'm married. However, I have recently ended an almost 5 year relationship and am now starting over on that front.

All TMI aside...

In Michigan, I used to to go out quite a bit, but became engrossed in building my business that I don't really have a social life anymore. I guess I've become a stick in the mud to the detriment of some relationships.

I hate MICHIGAN weather. I don't need a lot of nature and trees (growing up in Ann Arbor, I had my fill)

I would like to live in a somewhat more urban area, but I would like it to be safe. I will rent an apartment/condo/townhouse or small single family home (2-3 bedrooms) and I would like my rent to be no more than abou $1500/month

As I don't need to commute to work, that is not a concern. I don't have children, so schools are not a concern. I don't have pets, so a yard is not a concern.

I would like decent access to some parks, nightclubs, theatres, malls and good shopping, grocery stores and maybe public transportation for when I don't feel like driving.

I also like to work outside of my home from time to time, so cute and comfortable places that I can wifi and work for 4-6 hours would also be ideal.

I like diversity, as I am biracial and am comfortable and mesh well in ALL types of settings.

I will be flying to Dallas in March to get a feel for the area.

Are there any suggestions, given my age/lifestyle (i would like to start going out again, working out regularly (fitness centers) and I like good and fun restaurants, also looking to get seriously involved in volunteer work) that I should put on my short list of areas in DFW and neighborhoods.

Sorry for so much info! It's late and I'm tired...which turns into me being quite "talkative"

Last edited by LittleMissMatty; 01-26-2012 at 01:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM

307 posts, read 532,051 times
You have a lot of options. You may consider the uptown/downtown area or the upcoming young professional area called the Bishop Arts District. If you want a small home in a diverse area near shopping, lakes, fitness centers away from the downtown area in the suburbs, your price point would get you a nice rental in Cedar Hill, but in Texas it's best to drive whether you like it or not.

Last edited by Ablebodied; 01-26-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
There are lots of areas in DFW where you could find what you are looking for--and not even in Dallas city limits per se
FTW has really done lot to attract young singles/professionals and other areas like Plano, Las Colinas, Addison might be worth considering too
But frankly your salary is going to make your lifestyle pretty circumspect--
42K in Dallas even for single person is not going that far and you will find health insurance a problem

Plus compared to rest of country we have high utility(electric) rates, high car insurance, and rent in nice area can be expensive--depending on what people deem "nice"
there is not state income tax but depending on what your business is you may be required to pay state tax as business--
I am not CPA/legal person but I know the state's franchise tax has gotten more expensive and don't knwo what types of individual business are required to participate
that is something you might need to check with a professional on

Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Uptown seems to be the default position for lots of younger professionals moving to Dallas -- lots of bars, restaurants, and walkability -- but it can be expensive. If you want slightly cheaper rents, diversity, and still a youngish, and more artsy vibe, Deep Ellum (just east of downtown) is an option, especially if you want more of a loft, industrial feel. It fits your criteria since you don't care about greenery, don't have kids, and you will be close to some bars/restaurants/clubs. It's on the DART Green Line, and is just a few minutes to downtown and Uptown. Below are links to a couple of examples.

Adam Hats Lofts - Lofts for rent in Deep Ellum

Futura Lofts - Lofts for rent in downtown Dallas

Another spot popular with younger transplants is the Village Apartments, a huge development of apartment complexes east of SMU, a few miles north of downtown. The apartments don't have a ton of character but they are generally affordable and they have lots of activities (on-site pub, tennis courts, etc.) where you can meet people.
http://www.thevillageapts.com/

Last edited by TrueDat; 01-26-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
I would say State Thomas more so than Uptown - State Thomas feels more home-y and is just on the other side of McKinney.
You might also look at the apartments at The Shops at Park Lane - The Heights. You'll find everything you need right there including a Whole Foods.
Of course the default is always The Village.
If you like Bishop Arts area - look at the apts from Good Space.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
State-Thomas is nice but I still see it as part of Uptown and the apartments can be on the pricey side. But it's all about location, location, location, and State-Thomas is definitely well-located.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM

469 posts, read 886,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
State-Thomas is nice but I still see it as part of Uptown and the apartments can be on the pricey side. But it's all about location, location, location, and State-Thomas is definitely well-located.
Ehh they aren't as bad as you would think. I had a one bedroom for $720. (not a studio either)

Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 AM

393 posts, read 1,115,162 times
I've lived in the Dallas area for 12 years, and I'm roughly in your income bracket. You would probably like Addison or North Dallas. You would probably fit in well there, too, regarding your finances. That area meets everything you described.

I've lived in North Dallas (w/in walking distance of Addison), Frisco, Garland and Plano. Each has its merits. You do sound like a North Dallas woman, to me (if not a Downtown Woman).

Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville and Deep Ellum might work for you - here's a sample of an organization in my area which covers those:

Women in Business 2011 | Advocate Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas