Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 21,348 times

Advertisements

HI all, what a great resource... thank you for all your input...

Squirl, thank you for defending me about giftedness of my child, does your friend know where she is sending her child after LAs Colinas elem as I have heard in that area not too many great options for middle school.

ChristieP - westlake has a lottery process and humble people like us who cannot afford to live in westlake can still apply for the lottery process and try their luck, this is for a parent who might consider wetlake. Thank you for th einput and also info on lovejoy isd, rural might be tough for us.

Hockdad - st. marks sounds abs fab... we just dont want to spend for private tutition yet. thnk you for a future possiibility.

frnmom- thnk you for input on playgrounds and preventing a possible mishap for us, burns are bad we will look into plano isd.

caroll - thank yo so much for big vs. small school and info on 2011 National Merit Semi-finalists.

warm regards ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momedu View Post
Thank you all for your replies....

We are looking into

1) LEAP Program foro Gifted at McCoy Elementary - CFBISD
2) Las Colinas Elementary - IB PYP - school
3) Westlake IB PYP
4) Lovejoy ISD schools

any exp/input with any of the above?

Our budget for home is $400-450 K, hubby working from home, so we can pretty much pick our location. Thanks again

Just my humble . . . I would take Lovejoy off your list.

We wound up here (Lovejoy) doing the GT thing with both kids, and are pretty underwhelmed, and heading out.

Can do details if you wish -- but from what it sounds that you are looking for -- it is not here.

In all your locations -- I would strongly (STRONGLY, STRONGLY) recommend you rent first, for a year. That way you do not have to unload a house in a tough market. There are plenty of houses and they are not going anywhere.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
HI all, what a great resource... thank you for all your input...

Squirl, thank you for defending me about giftedness of my child, does your friend know where she is sending her child after LAs Colinas elem as I have heard in that area not too many great options for middle school.

- westlake has a lottery process and humble people like us who cannot afford to regards ....[/b]
Her son will go either to North Hills Prep (charter school in Irving but very unlikely he will get in because limited space and lottery system enrollment) or Bush Middle school which has a stong Gifted, A/P and IB programs. Since this boy is a top student she is quite pleased with the special programs he gets to be in.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Sending you a DM

Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Haha, I was wondering the same thing...what is this kid, the next Michael Jackson? Every parent thinks their child is gifted, hahahah

Ok, Im going to stop "kidding" around (pun intended)

We hear about gifted kids alot here on CD.

I think:
1. To some degree you are right to a lot of people a 5yo who can read a little and add 5+5 is gifted. So you do have a point

2. Gifted kids need to be found out early educators know this.

3. Right around Dallas we have several truly exceptional public school systems and several great private schools that have reps for challenging the gifted so lots of gifted kids from around are found and many others from afar move here around 5/6/7 hence so many questions.

4. A psychologist friend thinks of it like this:

Overachievering kids - IQ of about 125 or less. Driven, focused, want to please themselves and others. When found out and chellenged these kids tend to be outstanding students with broad interests.

Gifted kids - IQ of 125 or more. Can be rudderless, cares much less about pleasing others. Tend to have specialized interests with little care for other things. To her these kids are high risk almost "special needs". If not found and challenges these kids get bored and often act out.

Combo kids - a good measure of both.

Kids who don't fit. One kid she knew years ago had a slightly above average IQ but was a wizard at math.

The OP and her kid's teachers need to find out where her kid is and act appropriately. Using my friend's scale above an overachiever who is found out and pushed and proded can and should achieve exceptional things in life.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 PM

thank you for taking time to write a direct message, just dont know how to access it, can u help? thank you.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
thank you for taking time to write a direct message, just dont know how to access it, can u help? thank you.
-- Go to the top of the City-Data screen
-- Click on
My Settings at the top left of the screen
-- Scroll Down the column on the left of this page until you reach Direct Messages
-- Under Direct Messages, you'll see
List Messages and Send New Message, etc.
-- Click on List Messages
-- Scroll down this page until you reach the Direct Messages: Inbox section where you'll find all Direct Messages listed that have been sent to you.

You can always search the
FAQ Forum for answers to these type questions or send a DM to me as well.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-14-2012 at 12:45 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Quote:
Looks like BstYet answered your question above, but let me know if you still can't get it, and I'll figure out another way to share the info with you

Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 PM

hockdad, your first suggestion for hockaday was great, however not achievable for us, pls do let me know about several other great options for gifted child from kindergarten, thanks you!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
hockdad, your first suggestion for hockaday was great, however not achievable for us, pls do let me know about several other great options for gifted child from kindergarten, thanks you!
How is Hockaday "not achievable"? Financially? If so, you'll probably want to strike most private schools from your list as they are not cheap in Dallas.

Your next best bet is to try the lottery for some of the strong charter schools, like Northern Hills.

If privates are out & you don't get picked in the charter lottery, your best bet is to find a public district with a TAG program that you like and live there. Of course, most don't test students who live out of the district so there's always a risk your kid might not test in & then be stuck in a mediocre neighborhood school. Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD and Garland ISD both have a good TAG program, as does DISD's TAG Magnet.

If you are looking for the 2012-13 school year, be aware that you are starting the process very late for most private and specialty schools. Too late for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas