Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:32 AM

45 posts, read 186,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
If that is your definition of family friendly in DFW, you'll be disappointed. Kids riding their bikes on the roads of the metroplex are rare as hen's teeth. Because of the climate as well as the lifestyle and safety concerns.

Family friendly here means that there is a megachurch within 2 blocks.
Well that is unfortunate. Here in Tucson, most neighborhoods do not even have sidewalks, so in order to ride bikes, we have to go to the University or the park. A lot of parks here are unsafe as well. (lots of homeless people because of the warm weather) We have lived in our current neighborhood 2.5years and have never met any of my neighbors. Everyone keeps to themselves. So basically, in your experience, the type of neighborhood I am looking for does not exist in the DFW area??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 AM

709 posts, read 3,474,146 times
I'm not sure where the one poster lives that says kids don't ride bikes...but here in Carrollton my child and others do ride bikes. I often see families with helmets riding together. Riding on the major roads...no you won't see, and thank goodness they don't. Riding at parks in neighborhoods, yes and it is very much a family friendly environment.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshinelife View Post
I'm not sure where the one poster lives that says kids don't ride bikes...but here in Carrollton my child and others do ride bikes. I often see families with helmets riding together. Riding on the major roads...no you won't see, and thank goodness they don't. Riding at parks in neighborhoods, yes and it is very much a family friendly environment.
I don't want my kids riding on major streets, I just meant the neighborhood. We like to ride bikes as a family but rarely have the opportunity here. Good to know there are family friendly areas still. Can you give me some idea of where you think the most family friendly areas are?
I appreciate all the help. :-)

Old 09-08-2007, 01:00 PM

303 posts, read 1,012,020 times
I live in Plano, you can find homes in your price range here. Most schools are great. There are sidewalks everywhere and we go for bicycle rides all the time. There are plenty of parks where you can take the kids and meet other families. I have never had any safety concerns in this area.
When we moved here several of our neighbors came over to introduce themselves, we exhanged home numbers and I've become quite friendly with some of them.
I've lived in other areas in the US and this is the friendliest place I've encountered so far.
There are negatives, it can get pretty hot and no place will meet ALL your expectations - but overall I think it is great for raising kids.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
before you decide where to live really, you should decide where you and your husband will be working--the Metroplex is HUGH and getting larger each month...there is no reason to have a long commute if you just buy fairly close to where you work...
I would assume you would think first to apply to suburban districts rather than Dallas ISD (although there are good schools in that district, it is just as difficult if not more, to get teaching jobs there.)
Keller ISD in Tarrant Co n of FTW, Frisco ISD, Allen ISD have had lots of growth and believe their school construction is still going strong...but getting a teaching job in TX is difficult--there are many local colleges/universities with education grads each year who can't get a full-time teaching job...coming from out of state will make your application process even more difficult unless you are very, very lucky--and this is not about qualified or good--it does have large amount of luck that enters in...

So my suggestion would be to focus on what districts would be more likely to hire you and where your husband will be located...then look at the areas surrounding and see what is the most likely residence spot...most areas of Metroplex have had a fairly soft housing market for past 6 mo- a year--some areas are more competitive like Southlake and colleyville in Tarrant Co but they may not work for you anyway and are more expensive than your price range...I am sure there are areas in Dallas that are the same...

Old 09-09-2007, 11:37 AM

18 posts, read 53,120 times
Get the teaching job, and find out where hubby's gonna work. That'll start your search. McKinney, Allen, Frisco, Denton schools all good. Further, most are new/newer due to rapid growth. Plano's stable, but good schools, also has a rail link. As to public transportation, other than the rail link to downtown, there's no real good public transportation. Unlike Washington, SF, etc, everyone doesn't go downtown to work. You're gonna have to drive.

Check Realtor.com for housing prices. You'll be surprised what you can buy for $200K around here.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:15 PM

457 posts, read 431,581 times
Personally, I am fleeing Dallas. Addison, where I currently live, used to be a very nice upscale area. Unfortunately, the ghetto has expanded outward and has finally reached Addison. Crime rates have skyrocketed ever since some elements of the Katrina victims relocated to this general area, and the Super Wal-Mart opened up where the Prestonwood mall used to be.

Dallas is currently on of the murder/crime capital of the country. Also, it is heavily dominated by minorities, mostly illegals, who are now actually the majority here.
Crime/Demograhics:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

City Data gave Dallas a crime index of 753 in 2005 (their most recent data), but It's been as high as 856. The us "average" is 352. Admittedly, I don't know how they calculate those numbers however.

Tuscon: 598 crime index
http://www.city-data.com/city/Tucson-Arizona.html
Phoenix: 578 index
http://www.city-data.com/city/Phoenix-Arizona.html

Perhaps you may consider Plano/Frisco/Mckinney. Although, Mckinney is also very rough in some areas. Personally, I'd remove Dallas as a possibility. I am moving out of this wasteland next month, thank God.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:08 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,542 times
Here's another perspective on the city of Dallas. I live near downtown and love it. I am close to everything except for super wal-marts. I feel safe in my neighborhood. There is high crime in general in Dallas but most of it is concentrated in certain areas.

But I do agree that you should live near work. Makes no sense to drive an hour each way if you can avoid it.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:53 PM

My husband's company is located in Farmer's Branch off of Valley View. Of course I won't know where I will be teaching and I won't be able to make a decision until I do. I wanted to get a general feel for areas and places to avoid.

Currently I live 50 miles from the Mexico border. I am familiar with immigration issues and many of the students I work with here are ESL learners. I am SEI endorsed. Tucson also has a high crime rate.

I am kinda surprised that some Dallas school districts come to my school each year looking for teachers if many teachers in the area can not get jobs. I am hoping my science background (I hear science teachers are in high demand) and my SEI endorsement will give me a little advantage. But, if I can not get a full-time job at first, I can always work part-time and sub. I am also comfortable working in low SES areas (most of the areas in Tucson I work in are low SES).

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. I know I may be starting my research a little early, but I rather start now and be as well-informed as I possibly can get.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,528 times
I just recently moved here to Colleyville from Montana...Great area, it is kind of like a bubble, very centrally located most everything you need! It is right in the middle of Fort Worth & Dallas. Keller is a nice area as well, truelly, it sounds as though you are on the right track. Now, I agree with Galore, my youngest of 5 are 4 & 6, and indeed, it is not like it was in Montana (I know, I am not there anymore... But I was born and raised there, miss it, but making this home. Kids really like it here, good schools in this area, but I am sure there are alot...Start where your husbands work would be, and branch out from there. We went for school system/resale, and there is quite a bit available fairly close. 10-15 from DFW airport, can't beat it! Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas