Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I probably don't have to tell you then that one of DPD's most active spots is the intersection of Spring Valley and Maham...I hear most (as in 80-90%) of the trouble in that corridor happens or at least starts on the Dallas side. Dallas seems to love putting its low-income housing on suburban borders.
Yep. I remember the Spring Valley/Maham area well. It kept the departments on both sides of Spring Valley very busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've been defending your town, so fair is fair, BigDGeek. Sorry, but it's a typical cop out to blame everything on Dallas. Why does Richardson put it's low-income housing on Dallas' border? Whose apartments were there first, hmmm.
Most likely not. There is a greater concentration of apartments on the Dallas side and the ones on the Richardson side were, at least at one time, much nicer. Richardson doesn't have a lot of low-cost housing per se whereas Dallas has been spreading its low-cost housing around the fringes for many years now. Are you new to the area or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Yep. I remember the Spring Valley/Maham area well. It kept the departments on both sides of Spring Valley very busy.
Still does.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM

383 posts, read 733,440 times
I went to the real hood the other day.

Propser TX.

8,000 sq ft houses and whiteys running around in Range Rovers. You know they're up to no good.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM

It isn't 'hood' here, but Richardson is a mature suburb without a lot of big box retail. Some people see that as a good thing.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
Some people have an odd habit of thinking anything more than 20 years old is "hood."

I've never been to any part of Richardson where I felt like danger was even remotely possible, day or night. Good grief.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM

43 posts, read 94,952 times
Richardson is probably the nicest suburbs in Dallas County. There is not a bad neighborhood of houses in Richardson. There are some apartment complexes I would not live in though. These are around the same Spring Valley area many people have mentioned. The people that hate on Richardson live far outside the city of Dallas and think a place is hood if everyone is not white and every building is not new. There are also haters that pay top dollar to live in nice parts of the city of Dallas and think everyone else is crazy for not living like them.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
Where does she live now? Like 50-60 miles out from Dallas? The inner suburbs are still fine. Depends on how she defines "too hood." Could she have meant:
  • there are minorities there?
Doubtful -- there are minorities everywhere in Texas, becuase everyone in Texas is a minority.

Some apartment complexes in Richardson are downscale, but most of Richardson ranges from okay to really, really nice.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 PM

11 posts, read 40,595 times
Richardson is nice. A bunch of upper middle class whites and middle class hispanics and blacks. It is one of the nicer neighborhoods in Dallas. Everybody is quiet and laid back. Real suburban. Quiet and family oriented.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 AM

390 posts, read 824,662 times
It depends where in Richardson you are. I used to live near Jupiter and Beltline. Was a very nice area when I was growing up. In the past 5-10 years, it's gone downhill fast. Very heavily changing demographics. Seems like every other house was a drug house. Police and SWAT Team presence was very frequent by the time my family decided it was not safe to live there anymore. We were one of the few homes that had not been broken into. Probably because my father is ex-military, and we all carry.
If you go further northeast, Richardson turns into a very nice area.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
It depends where in Richardson you are. I used to live near Jupiter and Beltline. Was a very nice area when I was growing up. In the past 5-10 years, it's gone downhill fast. Very heavily changing demographics. Seems like every other house was a drug house. Police and SWAT Team presence was very frequent by the time my family decided it was not safe to live there anymore. We were one of the few homes that had not been broken into. Probably because my father is ex-military, and we all carry.
If you go further northeast, Richardson turns into a very nice area.
I thought Jupiter & Belt Line was Garland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas