Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM

563 posts, read 3,744,143 times

Advertisements

I am finding new and entertaining things about living in Texas every day!! For all you people who are moving down here and can't live without a home security company - you'll find this one a blast!!

I've just been told by my security company that if my alarm was to go off the actual machine does not transmit a call to the alarm company until it has been blaring for at least 30 seconds. If we turn it off within 30 seconds they don't even call us to make sure that everything is ok.

Hmm. If I was a half brained thief who knew this I don't think it would be too hard to provide incentive to the homeowner to turn off the irritating noisy machine really quickly.

Perhaps it's time to become a real texan and go out an buy a gun.

Anybody know if this is actually true?

I can understand that the police station is not called instantly - who needs cops charging all over the place for false alarms! But for heaven's sake our last (out of state) company always called and asked us for our security password to make sure that it was a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:04 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,891,175 times
It the company you are using not the state you live in. Simply call different companies and see what the practices are etc... There are hundreds of companies both national chains (ADT, BRINKS etc...) to little local companies. Don't blame the companies rules on the entire state of Texas!

Some companies charge you for each false alarm..no matter how long it went off for.
Police depts will also charge you for a false alarm if they are call out etc...

Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM

hmm . . . so this guy I spoke to was just having me on??
He said specifically that the law in the state of Texas is to use security panels that call the company only if the alarm has been going for at least 30 seconds. So until the first 30 seconds pass the box does not call the security system.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:04 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Not the case with our system. I know this because I accidently tripped the alarm a few weeks ago and it was only wailing (oh how I hate that sound!) for 5-10 seconds before I was able to turn it off. The alarm company called immediately. We use Dallas Security Systems.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM

Thank You. It sounds more likely to me that these guys have cut back htis year, are understaffed and not playing the game as they are supposed to. Nowhere on their website or in the contract (36 months!!!) does it say that they do not call immediately. In fact the implication is that they call if the alarm goes off.
I'm not sure what to do at this point. . . complain to the BBB? Demand to talk to the owner?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,519,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Not the case with our system. I know this because I accidently tripped the alarm a few weeks ago and it was only wailing (oh how I hate that sound!) for 5-10 seconds before I was able to turn it off. The alarm company called immediately. We use Dallas Security Systems.
Same thing with my monitoring company (Paramount Alarms). I accidentally set mine off at least once a month and I always stop the noise within a few seconds. The alarm people always call me ASAP.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:54 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Thank You. It sounds more likely to me that these guys have cut back htis year, are understaffed and not playing the game as they are supposed to. Nowhere on their website or in the contract (36 months!!!) does it say that they do not call immediately. In fact the implication is that they call if the alarm goes off.
I'm not sure what to do at this point. . . complain to the BBB? Demand to talk to the owner?
I'd talk to the owner before going to the BBB. Give them a chance to make it right. Maybe the person you talked to was clueless. I've certainly never heard of any "30 second law". Sounds like BS to me. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Same thing with my monitoring company (Paramount Alarms). I accidentally set mine off at least once a month and I always stop the noise within a few seconds. The alarm people always call me ASAP.
Same here. Our back door to the backyard is automatic w/ no delay at all. There is a control pad right next to it so we can shut it off w/in 10 seconds and they still call. The alarms at the office locations have also gone of numerous times and they call and verify no matter what. Never had them NOT call. Well, ADT would not call many times even if we set it off to see if they would. We switched to Smith Thompson and have never had a problem. They also do not charge us for false alarms. As a matter of fact they called last week at 2:30AM because one of the warehouse alarms was going off at one of our business locations. Now that we have security cameras we can pull them up and see if it is legit or not. I watched it for about 5-10 minutes with Smith Thompson on the line before I told them it was probably a false alarm and not to call the PD. Before we had security cameras we always just had them call the PD because we could not tell. I usually still stay online watching for another good 20-30 minutes just making sure that someone does not come back once the alarm goes off and everything is "cleared". If I saw something then I'd just call the police instead of the alarm company.

Now the POLICE DEPARTMENTS will charge you for so many false alarms. Never heard of the security company charging though.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Thanks so much for the awesome responses. I was totally convinced that this was some odd Texas law (as the guy told me) and am relieved to know that it is not. I will call and ask to speak to the owner tomorrow. I've also left a report on angie's list detailing the problem so they will hopefully follow up with the company as well.
Someone mentioned having a delay on the alarm. That is what the guy said - that our alarm had a 30 second delay (as required by this 'law') and would not call them for the first 30 seconds. I don't know how that makes sense since the minute you open the door or window it starts wailing like a banshee!! Certainly no delay on the sound effects!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:36 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Happened to me too. We have ADT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas