Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 8,461 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I decided over a year ago to move to Dallas for a fresh start and to take advantage of the housing market. He is eagerly awaiting a transfer from his company of 7 years, but if he doesnt recieve one considering seeking employment with new company there. We are in our early30's and have 4 boys between ages 2-12 that are very active in football and basketball.

Can you provide some feedback on the job market? I definately will need to find job in my field of HR though I am working on Masters in Higher Education. Also what areas are best for schools and homes?

I've done some research online and really found Dallas to be a beautiful area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM

383 posts, read 733,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoundw4Boys View Post
Hello all!

My husband and I decided over a year ago to move to Dallas for a fresh start and to take advantage of the housing market. He is eagerly awaiting a transfer from his company of 7 years, but if he doesnt recieve one considering seeking employment with new company there. We are in our early30's and have 4 boys between ages 2-12 that are very active in football and basketball.

Can you provide some feedback on the job market? I definately will need to find job in my field of HR though I am working on Masters in Higher Education. Also what areas are best for schools and homes?

I've done some research online and really found Dallas to be a beautiful area.
Taking your questions in reverse order.

Dallas is not beautiful. It's actually quite ugly. Those of us who are from here don't stay for the scenery.

The unemployment rate is lower than the national average. You do not mention what your husband does but there is probably work for HR people because HR is a necessary evil and businesses are expanding - against all odds.

Turtlehead80 can answer your school questions and she's not bad at real estate inquiries.

Per the other thread about finding work from out of state, ideally you will have a job lined up before you move. Otherwise, budget 9-12 months of full living expenses (rent, utilities, movers, white goods, etc.).

Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Double G maybe where you live ? is ugly but I think Dallas is beautiful. I mean it's not Carmel nor the 17 mile drive, but it's leafy, green, clean, hill-y in spots and has great creeks and White Rock Lake. There is also man-made handsome to spectacular architecture. Maybe the OP mis-googled?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,345 times
Dallas isn't ugly - it's just for people who don't care much about rolling hills and forests OR like the 'wide open plains' feel. Texans go to Colorado for the mountains and Florida for the beaches (some go to the southern TX coast for birding).

Areas "best" for schools and homes are within an hour (preferably 30-45min) of where you work. So, that's the first step, unless you plan to rent first. (Think about the transition that would have on your family as well - moving to a new state, rent for 6mons/year, then move again to your work location).

Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM

383 posts, read 733,440 times
Lakewooder - one can find beauty anywhere and that is laudable. But let's be honest, North Texas is not 'beautiful'. Yes there are a few 'hills' and some puddles, but that's about it.

A few trees and a puddle do not a beautiful place make IMHO.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 PM

44 posts, read 117,050 times
Agree with Double-G, outside of a very few areas (White Rock Lake) Dallas is very ugly, especially outside of the core. Driving down any major highway is depressing in it's lack of scenery, 35 from Dallas going north for example. Compared to some cities, Denver for example where you can at least see some mountains, Dallas is pure blah. Especially on days where the temperature is in the 90's and above and you pass 'ORANGE ALERT' signs on the highway and see the smoggy haze all around you. Sorry, that was depressing.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Okay, so the OP now understands that some people have little appreciation for what millions of others find quite suitable. Like bad cooking, the OP doesn't have to eat the crap.

Texas, Dallas and most any place is what you choose to make it. The OP clearly states she's 'done some research online and really found Dallas to be a beautiful area', so get over being bitter about having to live here.

Lend an assist to the poster to achieve her goal.

DallasBound, WorkInTexas.com - It's the state sponsored job board. Link for 'Browse jobs', include HR and Dallas. You can sign up and receive notification of matches.

Come soon, bring cash.

Good luck

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-23-2012 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: link can be posted as is

Old 05-23-2012, 03:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
Lakewooder - let's be honest, North Texas is not 'beautiful'.
I don't like the panhandle either..but Palo Duro Canyon is a nice part of "North Texas".

Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Okay, so the OP now understands that some people have little appreciation for what millions of others find quite suitable. Like bad cooking, the OP doesn't have to eat the crap.

Texas, Dallas and most any place is what you choose to make it. The OP clearly states she's 'done some research online and really found Dallas to be a beautiful area', so get over being bitter about having to live here.

Lend an assist to the poster to achieve her goal.

DallasBound, Work in Texas dot com <<<< no spaces, no special characters... except the dot. It's the state sponsored job board. Link for 'Browse jobs', include HR and Dallas. You can sign up and receive notification of matches.

Come soon, bring cash.

Good luck

Thank you! I for the responses... I find that many people like different areas of the country for different reasons. I am from New England and we find the area to be less than nice(beautiful) however, we're used to it and looking for more.

I will look for jobs on the recommended site as I would like to have something lined up before moving.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the responses. Though some are a little depressing but I wont be discouraged.

Is it hard to find employment while living out of area there? I know sometimes employers can be skeptical however it also depends on the metro area.

I would like to purchase a home when moving and forgo the rental process if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas