Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 PM

24 posts, read 140,394 times

Advertisements

Official website says one front and one rear. But I only got one license plate for my recent purchase of subaru lgt. Looking around the street car today, I have noticed quite alot of cars on the street with only one license plate at the rear. Tonight, I googled and found the following article

Texas Lawmakers Accidentally Omit 2 License Plate Law
Texas Lawmakers Accidentally Omit 2 License Plate Law

I am very confused. How many license plates are really required in TX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 09:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I thought it was two.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:04 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
I got a warning for only having 1 plate from highway patrol about a year ago. My dealer "suggested" my neew car would look better without a front plate but urger me to keep it in the trunk in case I was stopped for having only 1. Far as I now this is still the law but Ive driven with only 1 for 10 years and only been stopped once. I put the second plate on to avoid my wife "arresting" me

Old 06-10-2012, 09:06 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
It is two. As the article says, there may be some leeway now to get out of a fine if you are issued a ticket for it.

Most cops are fine with sportscars not having a front plate. Look at a Corvette for example. I think I've only ever seen one Corvette in my life in this state with a front plate. But if you have a truck, SUV, or sedan, you should be running two plates, otherwise it just gives them an excuse to pull you over.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
It's a vague state law and officially front plates are required.

However, some workers at the dealership where I purchased a vehicle earlier this year advised me that as long as you have something covering the front plate area, you will not be stopped. Law enforcement will not stop you solely for a frontal plate violation because if that is the purpose of the stop, then anything else you may be doing illegally in the vehicle can possibly be thrown out in court. Don't know how true this is, but I've been driving with only a back plate for 6 months now; have passed many law enforcement vehicles, and haven't been cited yet.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 PM

207 posts, read 506,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post

However, some workers at the dealership where I purchased a vehicle earlier this year advised me that as long as you have something covering the front plate area, you will not be stopped. Law enforcement will not stop you solely for a frontal plate violation because if that is the purpose of the stop, then anything else you may be doing illegally in the vehicle can possibly be thrown out in court. Don't know how true this is, but I've been driving with only a back plate for 6 months now; have passed many law enforcement vehicles, and haven't been cited yet.
If the police officer has probable cause to pull you over, then you can be cited for anything I think. I don't see how it can be thrown out in court when there was a reason for the stop. I doubt a person will be pulled over solely for a frontal plate violation, but I suppose it could happen!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:40 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Texas requires 2 plates, front and rear. The front most be mounted in the front of the vehicle. If an officer so chooses, they can pull you over for a plate thrown on your dash for example. As for not having one period, it's a judgement call. If an officer is looking for a reason to pull you over, no front plate is a good reason. I used to delete the front front plate but got tired of being pulled over every weekend.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times
Why do half the people in Dallas refrain from fixing their front license plates? After it is not just Texas that has a two-plate law. More than half the states have the same law, and people over there do put up two plates on their vehicles. I can understand if it hampers the performance of the car as in sports cars, but why the lack of front plates in trucks, SUVs, sedans, etc?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post

If you are going to cover up the front plate area with "something", then why not just obey the law and put the plate up? It this some sort of prestige issue?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 AM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
The law requires you have two plates on the car. Getting pulled over for one plate is about as rare as getting pulled over for going 3 miles over the speed limit. I have a Corvette that only came with the rear plate. If I get pulled I will have to plead with the cop to give me a warning. If he gives me a ticket I can't complain because I know the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: