Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I am trusting that the trees will bounce back and leaf out again. I hate anyone losing property to something like this but tree damage tears my heart out. A car or house can be repaired or replaced, but a decades old tree can't. Thankful there were no serious injuries.

What is it about Texas and hail? I grew up in Georgia, we got frequent thunderstorms, but hail was a rare occurrence and when we did get it, always small, none of this stuff the size of a baseball.
Texas is at the point where cold air fronts move in from the NW and hit humid hot air from the gulf often and this combo can produce tornados and hair. Ice storms as well as so prevalent in N. Tx compared to any other place I have lived and they can be meaner than the ice storms with property, trees and people sliding all over the place and getting hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Saw a plethora of pickup trucks with magnetic signs reading Joe Blow's Roofing Service while driving to NorthPark for lunch. It doesn't take long for the vultures to swarm in.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:31 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Saw a plethora of pickup trucks with magnetic signs reading Joe Blow's Roofing Service while driving to NorthPark for lunch. It doesn't take long for the vultures to swarm in.
No kidding , they were at our doors early in the morning, by 5pm I had an assortment of cards.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:08 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Apparently my husband and I are REALLY lucky. We're about to move to Coppell (after their hail storm) and got a new roof out of it on the house we purchased and we literally just moved out of the M Streets last week...we had no garage so our cars would have been trashed.

Whew.

I'm surprised Chihuly made it relatively intact!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:14 PM

216 posts, read 344,104 times
The pictures of the houses on Swiss Avenue broke my heart! All of those slate roofs - so sad. I drove down Richmond at lunch from Abrams to Greenville - almost every single car had their windshields blown out. There was a lot of damage. It looks like it just got progressively worse and peaked in Junius Heights

Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
They've been ringing my bell all day long.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's probably cold comfort to those affected, but this was just a moderately bad hail storm, not a tsunami or a hurricane. It hardly qualifies as an event worthy of some of the emotional chest-thumping I saw on television this morning.
I'm pretty sure there's no chest thumping. Sounds more sheer curiosity and shock of how quickly it happened and how much damage was done by it. Its just something that's not seen often. I've even heard its about a once every 30 year type thing. I've seen like dime and even quarter sized hail all my life. I've driven in it. Heck, I've been on baseball fields when it hit. What happened yesterday was crazy. I was driving on I-30 listening to the radio talk about the Park Cities, when BAM, right on the windshield. My car was beaten pretty badly to the point that I'm absolutely shocked given how hail is just a part of life here. Then there was the drive down Gaston where every other car had its windows out and the street was completely covered with debris. Then there was the eerie fog that covered Tennyson and Lakewood Country Club. Again, I was truly shocked driving down Gaston, as my back window was slowly collapsing. I know a reasonable mind understands that 3-4 inch balls of ice falling from thousands of feet pack a wallop, but it was STILL shocking sitting in a car being pelted like that. I don't feel like I was going to die, but that was a crazy, and I think that's the sentiment you're seeing in the media here.

Also, from having actually been in the car when it hit, I can only imagine there would have been significant injury or maybe even deaths if this was a more pedestrian city.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:43 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
I've actually seen worse believe it or not. The hail was softball size or larger. It hailed so much, there was ice on the side of the road the following day! Shortly after it let up, an F1 Tornado touched down a mile from the house. Thankfully it landed in a cotton field and only damaged a trailer and the people inside sustained minor injuries.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times

Lakewood Country Club greens after the hail storm. Kinda hard to make a putt!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
I'm pretty sure there's no chest thumping. Sounds more sheer curiosity and shock of how quickly it happened and how much damage was done by it. Its just something that's not seen often. I've even heard its about a once every 30 year type thing. I've seen like dime and even quarter sized hail all my life. I've driven in it. Heck, I've been on baseball fields when it hit. What happened yesterday was crazy. I was driving on I-30 listening to the radio talk about the Park Cities, when BAM, right on the windshield. My car was beaten pretty badly to the point that I'm absolutely shocked given how hail is just a part of life here. Then there was the drive down Gaston where every other car had its windows out and the street was completely covered with debris. Then there was the eerie fog that covered Tennyson and Lakewood Country Club. Again, I was truly shocked driving down Gaston, as my back window was slowly collapsing. I know a reasonable mind understands that 3-4 inch balls of ice falling from thousands of feet pack a wallop, but it was STILL shocking sitting in a car being pelted like that. I don't feel like I was going to die, but that was a crazy, and I think that's the sentiment you're seeing in the media here.

Also, from having actually been in the car when it hit, I can only imagine there would have been significant injury or maybe even deaths if this was a more pedestrian city.
Again, I just don't see why it's such a huge story. I've seen bigger hail, and there are far bigger problems facing us as a city, state, and country than this.

Then again I might be singing a different tune if my car's windows had been blown out. But I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas