Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:18 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,511,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Ya, this was a once in 10-15 yr storm...I hope anyhow.
Last I saw from the Nationl Weather Center was worst here since the 50s. Holy cow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,273,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Last I saw from the Nationl Weather Center was worst here since the 50s. Holy cow!
Dayum!!

I honestly haven't watched any of the news coverage but knew it wasn't something that happens that often.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,511,593 times
Aren't there city ordinances against placing those advertisement signs for roofers all over the place? I'm not talking in your yard, but some city street corners are covered with them. If you insist on putting your signs up on every block, I'm not calling you!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM

931 posts, read 2,136,641 times
I have lived in the same house for 41 years in East Dallas. Insurance has paid for 3 new roofs. Of course the deductible has gone up. The roofs needed replacing in 1991, 2011 and now 2012.

This is by far the worst hail storm I have ever been through although I was at Texas Ranger game in 1995 another bad one.

Insurance estimate continues to grow its between 1.6 and 2 billion now.

I heard that there are over 60,000 claims for autos.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:38 PM

105 posts, read 330,802 times
Do these hail storms happen often? About when? This is my first time experiencing anything like that and I think I want to change my car insurance policy now

Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,437,018 times
No. this is bizzare. I mean we get hail, but this is just unheard of. Terracotta and slate roofs that have lasted 80 years are destroyed. We will have to replace 90 year old window frames in our house. This made not only national news, but the destruction was covered on the BBC in the UK. No one who lives here can remember ever seeing something quite like this, and we are looking at 2 Billion in insured losses. If I ever see this again in my life, I will be surprised.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM

216 posts, read 344,371 times
I'm with Macbeth2003 - I lived in FT Worth during the '95 hail storm and I still remember the news coverage from that. That was insane. Bloody people - it was because Mayfest was going on. My sister was at her HS graduation and the roof caved in. Scary stuff. It doesn't happen very often - and it was such a FREAK thing. It was seriously wild.

For you East Dallasers - are you waiting for your insurance adjuster to come and check out your roof first - or are you letting those 'vulture' roofers look at your houses?

Every other house in my neighborhood has a sign in their yard and they were driving around on golf carts and parking their trucks lining the streets trying to get people to use them on Saturday. Made me sick really. We are waiting until USAA can come out on Saturday and assess. I even saw the Dallas Code Enforcers out giving tickets to people who didn't have it permitted with the city.

It makes me sad to see the older residents of the neighborhood taken by the shady roofers.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,186,023 times
Jen, the HSMNA (Hollywood Santa Monica Neighborhood Assoctiation) has a list of 'approved' contractors if you message them on their Facebook page.

Yep I think it's the fly-by-night roofers who put up the signs and circulars. It's funny how you will see the same roofer's sign in front of many homes on the same block and on the next block it's a different company.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,437,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenG1974 View Post
I'm with Macbeth2003 - I lived in FT Worth during the '95 hail storm and I still remember the news coverage from that. That was insane. Bloody people - it was because Mayfest was going on. My sister was at her HS graduation and the roof caved in. Scary stuff. It doesn't happen very often - and it was such a FREAK thing. It was seriously wild.

For you East Dallasers - are you waiting for your insurance adjuster to come and check out your roof first - or are you letting those 'vulture' roofers look at your houses?

Every other house in my neighborhood has a sign in their yard and they were driving around on golf carts and parking their trucks lining the streets trying to get people to use them on Saturday. Made me sick really. We are waiting until USAA can come out on Saturday and assess. I even saw the Dallas Code Enforcers out giving tickets to people who didn't have it permitted with the city.

It makes me sad to see the older residents of the neighborhood taken by the shady roofers.
We waited till the adjuster came out, but then we got an adjuster out already - Sunday Morning in fact. Most have not been so lucky. We more or less browbeat the agent into giving us the direct number for an adjuster, who worked us in. IF only we could get the AUto people to do the same. We finally got a rental car (by getting a lift to Keller, the closest place we could find one). I went to home depot which happens to be where the mobile claims unit where they said the first appointment I could get for the sem-driveable (I'll limp it four miles, but won't let my wife drive it to work every day) car was Friday. Three adjusters..... no cars! The other totally undeliverable car they have said around 2 weeks someone will come look at it (without notice) If I happen to be here, they will knock on the door, and tell me their decision. If not they will file paperwork, we will be notified by mail...... expect a further two weeks for that...... Like a Good Neighbor.....

Old 06-19-2012, 01:57 PM

216 posts, read 344,371 times
Thanks so much Lakewooder - USAA said to not get our hopes up - but I am hoping we have little to no roof damage. And Macbeth2003 - I had to contact them AGAIN for the car. I can't imagine not having one to drive and the hard time that you are having to FIND one. Hugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas