Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM

57 posts, read 75,636 times

Advertisements

I currently use SPrint in Florida for cell phone and its EVDO connection is great here. How about Dallas? How is Sprint there in terms of connectivity, etc..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,398 times
Just yesterday I was reading of a major Verizon Wireless outage in the DFW, maybe 2 or 3 days ago, but it can happen to any carrier. I've used Sprint for years with no problems. DFW is fairly well 'wiredless' so the option is yours.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times
I had great service with Sprint here in Dallas. Its downside is it drops off pretty hard if you travel into rural areas outside of the DFW 12 county area. Customers keep dragging me further and further out, so I switched to Verizon, as it claims a bigger footprint -- big mistake -- details here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...-lawsuits.html

I am now using T-mobile -- cheaper than Sprint or Verizon, but quality seems as good as Sprint, with a much larger footprint.

But overall, if I were you, I would stick with Sprint for at least a while here in Dallas if you do not have to travel too far afield, as it does have very good coverage in the areas it covers.

If you just stay very local to Dallas, maybe look at MetroPCS, (flat $30 to $40 a month) but dunno, as I have not tried them.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:08 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,095 times
I've used tmo, verizon, and sprint and all were fine.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I had great service with Sprint here in Dallas. Its downside is it drops off pretty hard if you travel into rural areas outside of the DFW 12 county area. Customers keep dragging me further and further out, so I switched to Verizon, as it claims a bigger footprint -- big mistake -- details here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...-lawsuits.html

I am now using T-mobile -- cheaper than Sprint or Verizon, but quality seems as good as Sprint, with a much larger footprint.

But overall, if I were you, I would stick with Sprint for at least a while here in Dallas if you do not have to travel too far afield, as it does have very good coverage in the areas it covers.

If you just stay very local to Dallas, maybe look at MetroPCS, (flat $30 to $40 a month) but dunno, as I have not tried them.
I use metroPCS, they're fine. I was using Cingular before and I don't notice any difference in service, but you're right...you have to stay local for them.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,093 times
I had Sprint until a couple of months ago. They covered everywhere I needed to go, except right in front of Texas Stadium, which dropped every time I drove past. They will credit your account for dropped calls - just call the service number and state Dropped Call at the prompt.

I stayed within DFW, unless I was traveling out of state. Coverage along the major highways is pretty good until you get to Oklahoma.

One thing I noticed was that periodically the phone wouldn't ring, but then I'd have a voicemail pop right up. Or I'd miss a call and the voicemail wouldn't show up for a couple of days. Not frequently, but enough to be annoying.

I now have AT&T and it sucks. Drops calls constantly.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
I had Sprint until a couple of months ago. They covered everywhere I needed to go, except right in front of Texas Stadium, which dropped every time I drove past. They will credit your account for dropped calls - just call the service number and state Dropped Call at the prompt.

I stayed within DFW, unless I was traveling out of state. Coverage along the major highways is pretty good until you get to Oklahoma.

One thing I noticed was that periodically the phone wouldn't ring, but then I'd have a voicemail pop right up. Or I'd miss a call and the voicemail wouldn't show up for a couple of days. Not frequently, but enough to be annoying.

I now have AT&T and it sucks. Drops calls constantly.
People always complain about metroPCS dropping calls but I've not had that problem at all. Then again, I rarely roam anywhere near the service boundaries. I do notice that my phone sometimes has trouble sending text messages, but I think that may be this building's massive communications equipment and satellite repeaters interfering with it.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM

178 posts, read 788,145 times
I've posted this before. I currently work in the wireless industry engineering/construction and T-Mobile has the best footprint in the metro. They are currently upgrading the system for UMTS. Sprint works fine, ATT is overrated, Metro is about 6 years behind the others Verizon is good too. I guess it depends on what you want your phone to do and where you go with it. T-Mobile is the best though.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,398 times
'You say T-Mobile has the best footprint in the metro', but what about around the state, primarily on the interstates or other metros? And nationwide, LA, NYC, DC, Miami, etc?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM

178 posts, read 788,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
'You say T-Mobile has the best footprint in the metro', but what about around the state, primarily on the interstates or other metros? And nationwide, LA, NYC, DC, Miami, etc?
Well the OP was inquiring about Dallas and this is the area I work in the most. I can tell you T-Mobile is doing the most agressive upgrades in CA,Miami,Atlanta,NYC,Dallas,Houston with the other markets to follow. ATT is spending a lot of money in Baltimore(and the Eastern Shore) right now but that doesn't always mean better.

Sprint and Clearwire have joined forces to provide a wireless broadband network but that is still in the works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: