Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,822 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of houses in Plano that are 4 beds 2.5 baths. We sold our house in Plano at the height of the recesssion in August 2010 with exactly that configuration. Our house was one of the smaller houses in Wentworth Estates and it sold in two months at that terrible time. We had two small kids who shared the bathroom and one of the bedrooms was an office/guest room. The house was about 2650 square feet. I don't know about Castle Hills North, but definitely Wentworth was mostly master down with some master up. Still, we sold our house because some people want that.

The half bath was the powder room downstairs, so having that be a full bath wouldn't be much of an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Because of that particular neighborhood and it's age, I'd say no.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM

215 posts, read 307,982 times
I don't see it as a problem. If and when you have children, maybe another bath could be added.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,470 times
Of the houses in the neighborhood currently on the market with fewer than 3 bathrooms, none have four bedrooms.

I've lived in the neighborhood for a couple of years and I don't think 2.5 baths is the norm at all.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
Of the houses in the neighborhood currently on the market with fewer than 3 bathrooms, none have four bedrooms.

I've lived in the neighborhood for a couple of years and I don't think 2.5 baths is the norm at all.

I guess it's a reflection of the fact that the Dallas Forum is blessed with members who live in prestigious cities/neighborhoods...I believe we have representation from the Park Cities, Southlake, West Plano and many more places where a house with less than 5 bathrooms is an absolute disgrace...but for the rest of us unwashed masses, well we have to live somewhere, and from my viewpoint (houses costing less than $250K), 4 beds, 2.5 baths is not only common, but the norm. The only difference would be the location of the master, some are up, most are down, and that COULD be a deal breaker, but having just one bath upstairs for 3 bedrooms is not uncommon at all. It's what I have in my house, and most of the other homes we saw when house hunting had it too. YMMV.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Quote:
I don't see it as a problem. If and when you have children, maybe another bath could be added.
That's a really bad idea considering the OP is considering this house plan to save money

Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I guess it's a reflection of the fact that the Dallas Forum is blessed with members who live in prestigious cities/neighborhoods...I believe we have representation from the Park Cities, Southlake, West Plano and many more places where a house with less than 5 bathrooms is an absolute disgrace...but for the rest of us unwashed masses, well we have to live somewhere, and from my viewpoint (houses costing less than $250K), 4 beds, 2.5 baths is not only common, but the norm. The only difference would be the location of the master, some are up, most are down, and that COULD be a deal breaker, but having just one bath upstairs for 3 bedrooms is not uncommon at all. It's what I have in my house, and most of the other homes we saw when house hunting had it too. YMMV.
How's the weather up there on that high horse?

No one is looking down on smaller homes with different layouts and bed/bath ratios.
We are speculating on the wisdom of buying such a house in an area people come to when they are looking for something else.

Geebus.

[Btw, I like my 5 bathrooms...spread the love around. ]

Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How's the weather up there on that high horse?

No one is looking down on smaller homes with different layouts and bed/bath ratios.
We are speculating on the wisdom of buying such a house in an area people come to when they are looking for something else.

Geebus.

[Btw, I like my 5 bathrooms...spread the love around. ]
that was just sarcasm my friend, no class war intended.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,470 times
I'm just saying that in CH, buyers are going to expect a different configuration.

I liked our old house in Carrollton and we'd probably still be there if schools weren't a factor.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
The OP didn't state where the neighborhood was located, and didn't state the price of the home he was considering, nor did he state the price range in that specific neighborhood. Without researching it on the net, most people here wouldn't know either. So...

IN GENERAL, a 4BR-2.5BA is NOT a problem.

In that specific neighborhood, it MIGHT be a problem.

To homeowners looking at homes around $300K, it MIGHT be a problem.

But not to all homeowners and potential buyers, not in all neighborhoods, and not the DFW area in general.

And that configuration is extremely common all over DFW, but of course NOT IN EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: