Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,057 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to relocate to McKinney from Michigan and am curious as to how the job market is in McKinney itself. Also, how are the schools there? I've researched at other sites and from what I understand they're pretty good.

It's a big step for myself and children and I don't want to make a huge error in judgement.

Any information you can provide me about life in McKinney, etc, would be helpful.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 04:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
McKinney itself doesn't have the jobs as far as I know; it's a commuter burb, and it's the farthest from the city. Use "McKinney" on the search feature.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
There are jobs in McKinney. Depends on what you do for a living. I live and worked in McKinney for the city for 4 years. Now I work in Princeton. There are plenty of jobs north of McKinney where you don't have to battle the traffic. I have lived here for over 8 years and really love it. Everything is close by, shopping, restaurants, good schools. My kids go to a school in our neighborhood that is a Blue Ribbon, Exemplary elementary school. Raytheon, Blockbuster, and other companies are headquartered in McKinney. There are lots of jobs in Plano and depending on what area it's an easy commute through the back roads. Frisco has jobs, Sherman, etc.
I like all the trees and hills in McKinney. It is very pretty. Very friendly people everywhere you go. And on the weekends, you can head down 75 to Dallas to do the big city stuff.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 PM

123 posts, read 534,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
There are jobs in McKinney. Depends on what you do for a living. I live and worked in McKinney for the city for 4 years. Now I work in Princeton. There are plenty of jobs north of McKinney where you don't have to battle the traffic. I have lived here for over 8 years and really love it. Everything is close by, shopping, restaurants, good schools. My kids go to a school in our neighborhood that is a Blue Ribbon, Exemplary elementary school. Raytheon, Blockbuster, and other companies are headquartered in McKinney. There are lots of jobs in Plano and depending on what area it's an easy commute through the back roads. Frisco has jobs, Sherman, etc.
I like all the trees and hills in McKinney. It is very pretty. Very friendly people everywhere you go. And on the weekends, you can head down 75 to Dallas to do the big city stuff.
I agree 100%! I've been here for 7 years myself. There's not much to add to what CTR has said. Edited to add: I work in Allen, which is the next town down toward Dallas and as long as you stay away from 75 you'll see no traffic. It takes me roughly 15 minutes to get to work at 7am. If I took 75 it would take at least 30 minutes and I'm not exaggerating in the least...
Joe

Last edited by average_joe; 10-23-2007 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Forgot something..

Old 10-23-2007, 08:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Blockbuster's HQ is in downtown Dallas.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 PM

From the mckinneytexas.org website--
The City’s diverse economy includes a healthy mix of retail, office and manufacturing. Some of McKinney’s leading employers include Raytheon, Blockbuster, Lattimore Materials, Encore Wire, the McKinney Medical Center, United American Insurance, Timber Blind Manufacturing, Orthofix and Simpson Strong-Tie.

Businesses found it was easy being green in McKinney. Pat Lobb Toyota of McKinney, the nation's first LEED-certified automobile dealership, joined Wal-Mart's "McKinney Experiment" as high-profile, environmentally friendly businesses operating in McKinney

So Blockbuster is in Mckinney as well. I know my husband used to work there. Check out the city website at mckinneytexasdotorg and you can find a lot more. Lots of beautiful parks, Town Lake, lots of sports and things for the family. I love living here. In fact I rarely venture past Plano anymore. Everything is conveniently located near me. The mall in Plano or Frisco with lots of shopping and pretty soon we will have our own upscale shopping center and a new hospital. I don't think you can go wrong with living in McKinney.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 PM

From the mckinneytexas website--
The City’s diverse economy includes a healthy mix of retail, office and manufacturing. Some of McKinney’s leading employers include Raytheon, Blockbuster, Lattimore Materials, Encore Wire, the McKinney Medical Center, United American Insurance, Timber Blind Manufacturing, Orthofix and Simpson Strong-Tie.

Businesses found it was easy being green in McKinney. Pat Lobb Toyota of McKinney, the nation's first LEED-certified automobile dealership, joined Wal-Mart's "McKinney Experiment" as high-profile, environmentally friendly businesses operating in McKinney

So Blockbuster is in Mckinney as well. I know my husband used to work there. Check out the city website at mckinneytexasdotorg and you can find a lot more. Lots of beautiful parks, Town Lake, lots of sports and things for the family. I love living here. In fact I rarely venture past Plano anymore. Everything is conveniently located near me. The mall in Plano or Frisco with lots of shopping and pretty soon we will have our own upscale shopping center and a new hospital. I don't think you can go wrong with living in McKinney.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
McKinney is again this year the fastest-growing city in Texas....doubled in the last 6 years. Two Blue Ribbon Exemplary schools there....quite an accomplishment! Good city management. All the shopping and dining you could want. Young and energetic population and attitude.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times
We have been here for 4 months and so far so good. I really like the elementary school my childs attends. (although they are a bit extreme with security) 75--really is AWFUL most days-regardless of times. The North Dallas Tollway is just down the street from us which makes it super easy to get to downtown or the airport. (we work from home so this does NOT include commute hours) 121 will open (who knows when??) also as a tollway which will be great and give us MORE commute options. I really like the downtown Mckinney area. Good luck with the move--post more questions if you like and we will be happy to answer.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Also are you buying or renting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: