Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,410,295 times

Advertisements

You might have better luck in Houston. When I had to order my Saba line, I ended up ordering from NY but it arrived via Houston due to the proximity to the port in Galveston and it took an unreasonable amount of time. Dallas is land locked so supply lines can be an issue. Miami, NY, LA, SF don't really suffer this limitation and if something is held up in customs, it's not easy to resolve the issue from Dallas

Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 21,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
The main reason Frisco, Plano, Allen, McKinney do not have "luxury" furniture stores is because most of that population is not going to pay for "luxury" furniture. Don't get so defensive, I like how you clinged onto the one negative post and didn't mention any of the positive. I honestly think Inwood Village is your best bet. It's fairly large with higher end stores that market to the UP/HP area and it is not going to be as expensive to rent as the Preston Center, HP Village or Snider Plaza areas.
Thank you. I like Inwood Village and was considering it as well but a good location is hard to come by.

I've been researching this for a year now and what's interesting is that I have an online furniture store that contradicts what you are saying about north dallas not buying luxury.

I did not cling to the negative but if someone wants to make points about the lack of research i've done and make sarcastic comments then, well, you have it coming. Don't dish out what you can't take.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeexample View Post
Are you joking? First of all, The Nebraska Furniture Mart is NOT on the same level as my store and they do NOT sell the same type of furniture I sell. YUCK! Thats like comparing Sears to Neiman Marcus. I can't even believe you mentioned a low end furniture store as competition to a luxury store. We do not carry the same brands. The brands they carry are along the lines of broyhill and lazyboy - Big box crap and ugly. Did you NOT read that I have a LUXURY store? Not some cheap big box store selling you walmart type crap...

I don't think you even know what your talking about quite frankly because

You mention "wonderful furniture stores" in the Galleria but um excuse me but have you been to the Galleria recently? What furniture stores are in there? The only "wonderful" furniture store in the Galleria is Pottery Barn. How about you do your research.

You also said the Dallas area...There is only the knox henderson section that all the furniture stores and maybe the design district but YOU are not my customer.
Weeeellll.....you are very welcome for my response to your questions, sounds like you really appreciate getting comments! [NOT] If you open a store here in the DFW area with that attitude, not only am I NOT your customer, you won't have ANY customers.

If you could read correctly, I said "wonderful furniture stores in the Galleria, (&) Dallas AREAS".

I haven't been to Nebraska Furniture Mart since the '80's when I bought a Bernhardt server there; I didn't know that was a tacky brand

Just looked to see what brands of furniture they carry. Here's a copied list from their website, don't think Wal-mart carries these brands.

Suggestion to look into Southlake stands.

Bernhardt (70)
Bradington-Young (3)
Brownstone (7)
Century (28)
Comfort Design Fur... (4)
Designmaster (4)
Drexel Heritage (31)
Elite Furniture (5)
Elite Leather (5)
EQ3 (3)
Fine Furniture De... (13)
Freemarc Designs (4)
Hancock and Moore (11)
Henredon (13)
Hickory White (1)
Hickory White Fur... (20)
Highland House (6)
Hooker (14)
Imports By Four H... (13)
Johnston Casuals (4)
Lazar Industries (9)
Lexington (114)
Maitland-Smith (7)
Massoud (7)
McCreary Modern (2)
Other (1)
Roguewood Furniture (1)
Stanley (30)
Thomasville (81)
West Brothers (1)

Last edited by Squirl; 03-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: corrected punctuation

Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
My customers are in North Dallas. How do I know this? Because I have an online store with google analytics, our research and analytics team to prove it... along with our sales. We saw that North Dallas ranked # 3 on our list with California # 2 and New York # 1. So I don't think its that people don't want to buy luxury furniture in North Dallas, its that its not accessible to them.

Timothy Oulton looks like he uses the same supplier as Restoration Hardware. Oh just did a google check. He's a designer for them. I'd like to see those sales figures you heard about.
You may want to do some research on the history of Plano's WillowBend Mall which was built to be super high-end. All those stores except for a flailing Neiman's have failed & not re-signed their leases. That entire mall is a lesson in failed market research. But go ahead, don't listen to a 4th generation Dallasite who has a decade of experience in luxury retailing (half of that in your NYC) and make your own mistakes.

I know the Timothy Oulton store figures because I talked to him myself at Maison et Object in January. But what does this dumb broad know?!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Also, if you're going to live here, you should know that "North Dallas" is what's between Preston Hollow and 635. Far North Dallas is between 635 and Bush. You are talking about areas "north of Dallas", not North Dallas. BIG difference.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 AM

794 posts, read 1,223,985 times
I'm furnishing our HP home now...working with a designer, checking out shops in Knox Henderson, the design district and around Inwood Village. I would love more fun, unique options to choose from...but after reading this thread my main impression is that I really hope OP is nicer than his/her posts come across. No need to insult people just because you don't agree with them/think they "get it" after you solicited advice advice from this public forum.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Also, if you're going to live here, you should know that "North Dallas" is what's between Preston Hollow and 635. Far North Dallas is between 635 and Bush. You are talking about areas "north of Dallas", not North Dallas. BIG difference.
TC is right on the money, so to speak. This thread is frustrating because of the North Dallas confusion. If I were searching out a luxury furniture store Collin County would be one of the last places I'd think to look. I'm not saying there aren't residents there who purchase luxury, there are, but the real market is south of LBJ. I'd go with the design district, Knox-Henderson, or the Park Cities if I were opening the type of retail store you are talking about. You're dealing with locals here and we know the market.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You may want to do some research on the history of Plano's WillowBend Mall which was built to be super high-end. All those stores except for a flailing Neiman's have failed & not re-signed their leases. That entire mall is a lesson in failed market research. But go ahead, don't listen to a 4th generation Dallasite who has a decade of experience in luxury retailing (half of that in your NYC) and make your own mistakes.

I know the Timothy Oulton store figures because I talked to him myself at Maison et Object in January. But what does this dumb broad know?!
LOL. Thank you for your post. I actually did research that willowbend has been a big fat fail (Saks). However they just opened Z Gallerie and Restoration Hardware and about to get Michell Gold + Bob in there too (so they say). I am definitely apprehensive but this is why I wanted to hear what the REAL locals have to say about it.

Could it also be that folks are going to the galleria or northpark to shop? I went to willowbend on a weekday and I was concerned at the foot traffic and the amount of high school students I saw walking around...

Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,978 times
Quote:
amount of high school students I saw walking around...
I'm pretty sure that's the case at any mall in the area. I think half the people in Stonebriar on the weekends are kids under 16. I'm not sure if that's a DFW thing or not.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
TC is right on the money, so to speak. This thread is frustrating because of the North Dallas confusion. If I were searching out a luxury furniture store Collin County would be one of the last places I'd think to look. I'm not saying there aren't residents there who purchase luxury, there are, but the real market is south of LBJ. I'd go with the design district, Knox-Henderson, or the Park Cities if I were opening the type of retail store you are talking about. You're dealing with locals here and we know the market.
Thank you for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas