Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM

933 posts, read 1,532,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
What is this CoCo I keep seeing?
Collin County

Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeexample View Post
wow, I didn't even know about these areas having that kind of money/homes. Thank you. I'm going to take a look at lakewood and park cities.

I can see your point about CoCo. My goodness this is so hard. Perhaps this is why it has taken me a year to really finalize a space. There are so many factors to consider. In New York, its easy - Manhattan is where you want to be.

All of this information is so helpful. Thanks again.
Are you really in NYC? Because it isn't as easy as "Manhattan or bust". There's both the uptown and downtown cultures. Prim UES ladies don't go shopping or dining in the LES. The cool downtown folks try to never go north of 14th or 23rd. Inwood is technically Manhattan but it certainly isn't a shopping destination. SoHo and 5th are for tourists; NoLiTa and Madison are for residents. Manhattan had a heckuva lot more nuances than "Manhattan or bust." Plus, anyone who's anyone knows its all happening in Brooklyn now. Forget Manhattan for all the young designers and creatives.

Dallas has lots of nuances, too. I would encourage you to check out the real estate listings for the various in-town neighborhoods to get a feel for how people decorate and price points they pay.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 PM

15 posts, read 21,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Are you really in NYC? Because it isn't as easy as "Manhattan or bust". There's both the uptown and downtown cultures. Prim UES ladies don't go shopping or dining in the LES. The cool downtown folks try to never go north of 14th or 23rd. Inwood is technically Manhattan but it certainly isn't a shopping destination. SoHo and 5th are for tourists; NoLiTa and Madison are for residents. Manhattan had a heckuva lot more nuances than "Manhattan or bust." Plus, anyone who's anyone knows its all happening in Brooklyn now. Forget Manhattan for all the young designers and creatives.

Dallas has lots of nuances, too. I would encourage you to check out the real estate listings for the various in-town neighborhoods to get a feel for how people decorate and price points they pay.
Lets be clear, you're talking to a NYC vet so knock it off with 'are you really from nyc' -lol Moreover all the areas you mentioned are in Manhattan and my point was that it is easier for ME to decide on a location in Manhattan because I know every area in my city like back of my hand and from the looks if it....

There is one culture that all these areas share-- MONEY... All except Inwood (I'll get to that in a sec.) Manhattan is a very affluent city, beit uptown downtown soho noho 5th ave, etc., Any one who is living in these areas can afford what I'm selling. Period. So this culture that you speak of really is a moot point. The fact that you even brought Inwood and LES into this conversation leads me to believe you are not a New Yorker. Inwood/Washington heights is ghetto. LES is ghetto. End of story. Were you really trying to school me?

Anyone who's anyone would raise an eyebrow and clutch their pearls at the thought of shopping for luxury in Brooklyn. They'd immediately dismiss the thought like a spilled drink and include you in that dismissal. Brooklyn is for the people who can't afford to live or shop in Manhattan. Brooklyn people don't like to admit this fact but its the truth.com -- oh and throw dirty jersey in that mix as well.

Its funny that you say BK is happening because they said the same thing about Harlem-- and look how sad that part is now. Are any luxury retailers even over there? Nope.

Last edited by primeexample; 03-07-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM

173 posts, read 398,947 times
You refer to an online presence...Perhaps you could post a link to enlighten us on your "luxury" brand?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 PM

15 posts, read 21,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagsone View Post
You refer to an online presence...Perhaps you could post a link to enlighten us on your "luxury" brand?
I rather not. But thank you for inquiring.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 PM

173 posts, read 398,947 times
Thought so.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 AM

3,984 posts, read 5,013,418 times
Again, you think WE were rude first and hence, your crappy attitude. You seem to like jumping all over anyone who is trying to be helpful...but I guess YOU know better because you've VISITED so many times. You're clueless. It's obvious. And you're terribly rude. But hey, your relatives live in The Colony...you have all the opinions you need.

And btw, I don't give two flips about a store like yours...yes, it's true, I'm not your demographic. But I do know Dallas. One thing you should be aware of is if Dallasites want it, they will drive wherever they have to...so when we say Design District, for example, even people in the boondocks (north of Dallas) WILL drive there. I feel confident you will be schooled in the ways of Dallas if you bring that brash attitude with you.

Oh, and I love New Yorkers...I get sarcasm and quick wit...I despise rude people however, and I know the difference.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeexample View Post
That matchy matchy probably only sells because the options in the northern suburbs are limited
As a lover of modern architecture and design, I'm here to tell you that most people in Dallas strongly prefer traditional in both arenas, even in the neighborhoods mentioned as affluent - I live in one of those. It's ever been thus, and it's not going to change much.

Your store will likely not do well, especially considering how abrasive you sound. This is an incredibly different market than what you're coming from, and unless you develop an ability to listen to people here, you're never going to figure it out.

Then again, given your delightful presentation here, perhaps I should shut up and let you get on with it.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
As a lover of modern architecture and design, I'm here to tell you that most people in Dallas strongly prefer traditional in both arenas, even in the neighborhoods mentioned as affluent - I live in one of those. It's ever been thus, and it's not going to change much.

Your store will likely not do well, especially considering how abrasive you sound. This is an incredibly different market than what you're coming from, and unless you develop an ability to listen to people here, you're never going to figure it out.

Then again, given your delightful presentation here, perhaps I should shut up and let you get on with it.
The OP doesn't "get it" but looks down his nose at the locals as not "getting it."
as we say....."Bless his heart"

Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 AM

69 posts, read 120,086 times
This thread is The truth.com lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas