Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 21,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
"Since when is Bernhardt a fun cool luxury brand? They sell big box store type stuff too. All matchy matchy bed room sets and living room sofas that are clearly boring. Oh you think because they're priced high that they're crap doesn't come from China? Nothing unique, fun, cool, colorful, interesting."

Matchy matchy is what sells, for the most part, in the northern suburbs, that's why there is so much up there. That's why people are trying to steer you south.
That matchy matchy probably only sells because the options in the northern suburbs are limited

Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeexample View Post
That matchy matchy probably only sells because the options in the northern suburbs are limited
I hate matching furniture suites. All my rooms are comprised of individual pieces. I haven't purchased brand new furniture in decades. I am retired and pairing down! But (it doesn't match anything) I sure do like my Bernhardt server and Massoud loveseat (both brands carried by NBM).

I went shopping for furniture with a decorator a few years back -- when we were creating a home office -- at Cantoni and Roche Bobois. Both stores were in the Galleria area.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
I'm not all that knowledgeable about areas "north of Dallas" but in the late 1990s I worked up in Plano when they were building out the Shops at Legacy and I do recall a few unique home decor stores up there...along with some independent boutiques (clothing and otherwise) and some good restaurants. I hear the area is still thriving but no first hand knowledge. I am not a real estate person but maybe this is an area that would do well for your shop - esp since your data suggests you have lots of buyers up there. There actually was a huge furniture store up there a number of years back and it isn't there any more (so maybe it's a terrible location!) Just a thought.
Thank you! Yes! Isn't that shopping center adorable? I actually was looking at the shops at legacy last year but I was so skeptical about the fact that now its full of restaurants and not much retail. However, they are trying bring in more retail from what I gather. I really just think these outdoor shopping centers have so much potential to be great if they can get in the right mix of tenants.

I think that huge retailer your talking about was Rob & Stucky. That entire company went bankrupt but I don't think it really had anything to do with legacy but because they weren't being managed properly. Now they have a Stacy's there and I believe they are on their way out too...

Old 03-07-2013, 04:02 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
This is very helpful! Thank you. Ya know, I did notice in willow bend there were quite a bit of retailers closing and opening. We were considering taking a short term lease just to see how we'd do but my goodness the emptiness in that place is scary lol.

I'm going to look into knox-henderson area which is one of my favorites anyway. I was just thinking that since there is so much new development in the northern part of dallas they'd might need some sort of luxury furniture *shrug*. Some of my family members moved to the colony recently and they were complaining that there was no place to shop for furniture and they didn't want to drive all the way to knox henderson.
I think the difference between in Dallas and the ex-burbs is that in the uptown / Lakewood/ park cities / Preston Holllow / Bluffview areas you can't throw a rock without hitting a $1-10M home and folks who have seemingly unlimited disposable income. There is just SO much money there- people paying cash for $1M+ homes every day.

In CoCo there are some mega wealthy but it's mostly a conformist upper middle class area. Sure, there are some customers there but the thing is, whether they want to or not, they DO drive into Dallas for destination shopping like very upscale furniture. Those in Dallas won't ever drive to Legacy or whatever. Just won't.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Thank you! Yes! Isn't that shopping center adorable? I actually was looking at the shops at legacy last year but I was so skeptical about the fact that now its full of restaurants and not much retail. However, they are trying bring in more retail from what I gather. I really just think these outdoor shopping centers have so much potential to be great if they can get in the right mix of tenants.

I think that huge retailer your talking about was Rob & Stucky. That entire company went bankrupt but I don't think it really had anything to do with legacy but because they weren't being managed properly. Now they have a Stacy's there and I believe they are on their way out too...
Stacy's is on the way out there, they signed a short term lease and the owner is tearing the store down to put an office building there. A Legacy like development is what is planned in The Colony by the NFM. The deveopment is 430 acres with a lake, they will put a 500k sf store along with an attached 1M SF warehouse but that leaves a huge development for complimentary commercial development.

Good luck with your location decision in Dallas area and keep us posted as you get up and running. Welcome to Tx

Old 03-07-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think the difference between in Dallas and the ex-burbs is that in the uptown / Lakewood/ park cities / Preston Holllow / Bluffview areas you can't throw a rock without hitting a $1-10M home and folks who have seemingly unlimited disposable income. There is just SO much money there- people paying cash for $1M+ homes every day.

In CoCo there are some mega wealthy but it's mostly a conformist upper middle class area. Sure, there are some customers there but the thing is, whether they want to or not, they DO drive into Dallas for destination shopping like very upscale furniture. Those in Dallas won't ever drive to Legacy or whatever. Just won't.
wow, I didn't even know about these areas having that kind of money/homes. Thank you. I'm going to take a look at lakewood and park cities.

I can see your point about CoCo. My goodness this is so hard. Perhaps this is why it has taken me a year to really finalize a space. There are so many factors to consider. In New York, its easy - Manhattan is where you want to be.

All of this information is so helpful. Thanks again.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
wow, I didn't even know about these areas having that kind of money/homes. Thank you. I'm going to take a look at lakewood and park cities.

I can see your point about CoCo. My goodness this is so hard. Perhaps this is why it has taken me a year to really finalize a space. There are so many factors to consider. In New York, its easy - Manhattan is where you want to be.

All of this information is so helpful. Thanks again.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Highland-Park-Texas.html

Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

I completely agree! The eccentric millionaires and design conscious yuppies of Dallas wouldn't be caught dead shopping at a faux urban strip mall in CoCo. The odds of finding clients who "get it" and will have the funds to purchase your products are astronomically higher in Dallas proper.

Op wish you the best of luck, your store sounds exciting. Many new retail locations going up in the design district. I would definitely drive around that area. The new restaurants and bars have added traffic/exposure and it's had tons of Media buzz in the last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/us...-too.html?_r=0

New Dallas Design District project will bring more retail and residential space to growing neighborhood | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Dallas Design District - You + Dallas

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-07-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
I disagree, but hey, it's your store.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
What is this CoCo I keep seeing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas