Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,123 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband has been accepted to a great school in Dallas, so we are seriously considering moving there. I have been to Dallas and other parts of Texas several times, and honestly, never pictured myself living there. Let me explain: most of my life I have lived in a small town, which my husband and I prefer because we enjoy quiet, open spaces, and freeways that don't become parking lots. Also I like to make frequent trips to the ocean and especially the mountains (Yosemite is just a few hours from me). The mountains lift my spirits so much, and I love the outdoors! So living in the metroplex will definitely be a big change! I know there are good things about Dallas though. So to help me better appreciate the area, would some of you mind sharing with me what you like about the area? I have read other threads about people moving to Dallas, but they mainly talked about where to buy a house or find a job or good school. We have the job/housing stuff under control, and we do not have children to consider. I am more curious about your thoughts on why you like living in Dallas. (I have noticed some people on here are not particularly fond of the area, so if that is you, thank you for being kind and not offering any discouraging thoughts. I have enough of those on my own. :-) Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
I have lived in the NE USA (NNJ and Pittsburgh) Houston, Oklahoma and now Plano. I like living in Texas and retired 5 years ago and stayed, although I moved to Plano from Houston. What I like about DFW area/Plano is: friendly people, very diverse, spread out area wise with DFW airport alone as big as Manhattan. I like to see change and enjoy living in an area that is new and growing. I like all the options of different towns to live in and am most pleased with Plano. All the things I need to enjoy daily life are nearby so I do not go to Dallas unless I want to such as to see friends living there. I like the exciting weather we get in 3 seasons, and yes summer is hot as hades but makes you appreciate the other three seasons. Many great golf options nearby and an open accepting city for new comers, yes even me from Houston.

Moving to a new place is what you make of it. Expect the best and embrace the change and it will be what you want it to be. I think of all the great people I know here already and wouldnt have met them otherwise.

Welcome to Texas, it really is very different from the two coasts that get so much coverage. We like to make things and are not afraid of change and challenges in Texas... so come on down.... we hope you enjoy it here even half as much as we do and you will be a happy "camper".

(Mountains of NM are about 600 miles away, which isnt too far with the vast open space between here and there. So I can get my mountain fix a few times a year)

Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM

276 posts, read 528,832 times
Cheap cost of living and higher standard of living are our main attractions.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM

43 posts, read 123,991 times
You have the big bend area mountains about 8 hours from here which it is a bit closer than NM. Also, you could head 2 hours south to the Hill country in Austin/San Antonio or go 1 hr west of Fort Worth in the area around possum kingdom lake which is somewhat hilly. Its not mountains but at least it's closer enough that you can go there often.

Dallas...
I really like that Dallas is very diverse in every aspect: people, food,, language, etc. That is a plus for me!
This is Silly but I like the way highways are set up. Like the previous poster said, I also like how Dallas is really proactive to growth.

Many lakes in the metroplex!
I like that there's only 1 to 2 chance of "snow/ice" once every winter on average!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is also a feeling of "abundance, success, well-being" all around the metroplex that really makes me feel Im in a good place and that I made a good choice. Can't change the lack of mountains or urban feel (like a NY or Chicago kind) but one has to make the most of it while we're here!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,864,410 times
Texas has mountains. There are the Guadalupe Mountains near Hudspeth and the Davis Mountains near Fort Davis. You just have to drive a far piece to get to them. Closer are the hills near Austin. We enjoy spending time there.

If y'all move here, well Howdy and Welcome.

What I like about Dallas though ~
The people. The natives are usually pretty friendly and want to help. The newcomers, such as you and your husband, are usually friendly and interesting to know.

The diversity. We may not have the Italian groceries, but we have lots of other foods covered. Same goes for restaurants. People in Dallas love to eat out and we have lots to choose from.

There are lots of hike and bike trails in the city and suburbs. White Rock Lake is a jewel. Or, there are many nearby lakes for boating and skiing (not much for swimming though).

It is home to The State Fair of Texas each October. The Fair, held at Fair Park, is the best state fair, and one of the largest in the country. Concerts, fried foods, car show, rides, attractions, live stock, creative arts competitions, and so much more. Fair Park itself is a collection of Art Deco buildings from the 1936 Texas Centennial Fair. A nice place to explore, even when the fair isn't open.

Dallas is close to Fort Worth, where the West begins. Be sure to visit their Historic Stockyards and then their Water Gardens and awesome museums. Go to the Stock Show and Rodeo in January for another taste of history.

I like our Dallas museums too. Not just the Dallas Museum of Art and the new Perot Museum of Science, but the Nasher Sculpture Garden is unbelievable. The Meadows Museum at SMU is full of truly great Spanish Art.

Dallas Heritage Village is a collection of 19th century buildings from the area, that tell a bit of the story of the people of Dallas. A hidden in plain sight gem near downtown Dallas.

While San Francisco has its cable cars and New Orleans their well known street cars, Dallas has their own historic streetcars, or trollies. Take a free ride through Uptown. The cars are vintage, and run on some vintage tracks. I met my now husband on the streetcar.

Tuba Christmas, a concert in Thanksgiving Square, just before Christmas every year.

Neiman Marcus. The NM flagship store downtown. Their windows; especially their Christmas windows. A must see every December.

NorthPark. More than a shopping mall; a place to view modern art. A place to see ducks and turtles swimming in the pond.

The Greek Food Festival. The North Texas Irish Festival. The Texas Scottish Festival and Highland Games. The St. Patrick's Day Parade on Greenville Avenue. The All British and European Car Day at White Rock Lake. The Italian Car Show in Grapevine. SouthFork Ranch. The Flying Red Horse atop the Magnolia Building.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
I love the diversity of food and people the most. Very few types of food and people you can't find here.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyamc View Post
Hello! My husband has been accepted to a great school in Dallas, so we are seriously considering moving there. I have been to Dallas and other parts of Texas several times, and honestly, never pictured myself living there. Let me explain: most of my life I have lived in a small town, which my husband and I prefer because we enjoy quiet, open spaces, and freeways that don't become parking lots. Also I like to make frequent trips to the ocean and especially the mountains (Yosemite is just a few hours from me). The mountains lift my spirits so much, and I love the outdoors! So living in the metroplex will definitely be a big change! I know there are good things about Dallas though. So to help me better appreciate the area, would some of you mind sharing with me what you like about the area? I have read other threads about people moving to Dallas, but they mainly talked about where to buy a house or find a job or good school. We have the job/housing stuff under control, and we do not have children to consider. I am more curious about your thoughts on why you like living in Dallas. (I have noticed some people on here are not particularly fond of the area, so if that is you, thank you for being kind and not offering any discouraging thoughts. I have enough of those on my own. :-) Thank you!
One of the best kept secrets in Texas is the magic closets. It seems all of the houses have them.

If you put clothes into one of these closets in Texas, leave them there over the winter, when you pull them out the next spring they will be smaller. Magic! It is Magic! I tell you. I cannot be the food, Like the fried everything at the Texas State Fair, or super sized portions of everything else has nothing to do with it.

Nope, it is not the food.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Dallas has good shopping and restaurants. That's all I can say.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM

477 posts, read 1,052,151 times
We're recent transplants from New Orleans. Dallas has a lot of industry and multinational corporations based in the area. This does provide more employment opportunities than many areas of the country. Houses are cheap. There is plenty of shopping.

If Colorado had the employment opportunities and affordable housing that the Dallas area does, we'd pick up and leave in a second.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM

216 posts, read 344,164 times
I love the diversity, the always bustling of activity, the people, the food - even the schools. I really love it here. I never feel at a want for something to do or see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas