Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:26 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,277 times

Advertisements

So, Preston Hollow fell through (our choice) and for now, we are still on the hunt.

In an effort to continue the hunt, we have found and placed another offer on a different house - this one is in Southlake.

Pros:
- Southlake
- New, 2009 construction
- No renovation to be done immediately, very move in ready
- Clean and open feel, good size rooms especially downstairs
- We like the clean and smooth look

Cons:
- Flights overhead (see my other thread)
- A little on the smaller side, 4301 sq feet
- No media room
- No game room
- Barren backyard - no trees and no pool and not a very appealing outdoor patio

Thoughts? It is listed at $839,000... which is a good price for us. I don't mind spending much less than what we budgeted for... however, there are missing rooms (i.e. media, game, outdoor) and I'm worried this might be a deal-killer for someone in the future when and if we sell.

As far as for my wife and I, we would fit very well into this house as it is... but we can see how we might want something a little more in the future (i.e. media, game, outdoor space). Though given the price, I can see how we can add later. Example, we could add an extra room above the family room given that the first floor plate is 11 feet tall on average and 12 feet tall in the kitchen (which is very nice).

Thoughts on a counter? We offered $790K initially - awaiting counter.

2117 Estes Park Rd, Southlake, TX 76092 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Without seeing the house... it's priced fairly high for a home with no pool. The tax records show smaller footage. Make sure you verify the footage advertised per an appraiser. They should be able to provide you the worksheet.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Without seeing the house... it's priced fairly high for a home with no pool. The tax records show smaller footage. Make sure you verify the footage advertised per an appraiser. They should be able to provide you the worksheet.
Do you have a link to the tax records?

What would you offer?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Do you have a link to the tax records?

What would you offer?
Your offer is probably a good. In todays market, the sellers not going to consider a low offer.

Do a search here and look at the tax record. The agent should be able to provide your agent the Appraisers measurements. Ignore the tax appraisal value.

Tarrant County Tax WebSite

Old 05-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Found the tax records... 4189... hmm

Old 05-03-2013, 05:26 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Did they add 112 sf without pulling a permit? Sounds like a pretty big miss, but as Rakin said ask to see the source of the listing claimed size of 4301. Might well be an add under the original roof.

Very nice looking home, I really liked every view I saw especially the stairway.

If you are concerned with missing rooms is there a logical place to add a room if needed without it looking well...added on!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Did they add 112 sf without pulling a permit? Sounds like a pretty big miss, but as Rakin said ask to see the source of the listing claimed size of 4301. Might well be an add under the original roof.

Very nice looking home, I really liked every view I saw especially the stairway.

If you are concerned with missing rooms is there a logical place to add a room if needed without it looking well...added on!
Yeah we also really liked the elevation of the front of the house... Very pretty and so much cast stone.

The backyard is missing a pool and any semblance of an outdoor place... That will be a costly endeavor for us.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM

440 posts, read 867,441 times
It's a nice house-two things that come to mind-you have often mentioned resale value and investment with your house purchase -while this is important to some extent at the end of the day it's your home and where you will make forever memories-Is it going to be your "forever" house or not? You're going to spend a pretty penny adding on a game/media room at some point-particulary if you want a good addition(not to mention the various building and hoa approvals you will need) secondly the backyard is barren as you said-you are probably going to spend anywhere from 60k up to skies the limit for a pool/spa /patio/outdoor area and trees and landscaping-believe me when I say 100k can get spent pretty quickly on a backyard ( we are doing it atm and I'm doing the landscaping part) So from an "investment" point of view it's hard to say whether you would recoup that money in say a 5-10 year period-If it's your "forever" home then go for it and enjoy the process!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
I would advise not posting your bidding strategies on the web. The real estate market is too hot; someone could see your $790k and swoop in with a $799k or higher and cut you out of the running.

Parts of the home I like, parts I don't, but I'm not the one living there. I just think the custom homes in SL don't look as nice as the ones in PH / Park Cities- ie, kitchen looks less expensive, two story living rooms are a bit passé in town...but could just be cultural differences between burbs and city.

The one thing I'll toss out is to put in a nice pool & backyard living room/kitchen, it will easily cost $100-200k. So maybe there are more "done" homes at those price points in SL or maybe it doesn't bother you to shell out to build it the way you want. It's honestly amazing to me that a builder (or buyer) would build that kind of home and not spend $1 on the backyard!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 PM

170 posts, read 374,069 times
Since you have good aesthetics, I would recommend going for a more established landscape, may be some views and some sort of backyard retreat. Adding all that means another 100k and if you want media room (certainly overrated) then extra 50k. However, house itself is beautiful.

Is there an iron fence or wooden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas