Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times

Advertisements

Today while I was out working on the yard a had one set of kids breaking beer bottles in the street behind my driveway and caught another set of kids going through a neighbors garage. Now, do you call the police in the second kind of situation or just make sure they know you are present and watching? Also, does anyone have any idea how much it runs to have a DPD police patrol the neighborhood more rigorously? I feel as though with summer approaching and the kids being out more, there may be more issues on the horizon. Also, although I care for my and my neighbors things, I really do not want these children being harmed or shot going onto and through someone else's property. Thoughts, ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Today while I was out working on the yard a had one set of kids breaking beer bottles in the street behind my driveway and caught another set of kids going through a neighbors garage. Now, do you call the police in the second kind of situation or just make sure they know you are present and watching? Also, does anyone have any idea how much it runs to have a DPD police patrol the neighborhood more rigorously? I feel as though with summer approaching and the kids being out more, there may be more issues on the horizon. Also, although I care for my and my neighbors things, I really do not want these children being harmed or shot going onto and through someone else's property. Thoughts, ideas?
Its a tough call....do you recognize these kids as neighbors kids or are they total strangers? If it were me, I would probably yell at them and tell them to get lost, call the cops and make sure my neighbors are vigilant and aware of their belongings.

It would be a shame to hear on the news of a teen getting blown away for rummaging through a neighbors garage...

If anything close the garage doors...lock all the doors to the house and close up the fence....

Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Have your iphone or digital camera on you and take a photo of them doing it. Show it to the police or see if you can find out who they are and and send the photos to their parents.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Its a tough call....do you recognize these kids as neighbors kids or are they total strangers? If it were me, I would probably yell at them and tell them to get lost, call the cops and make sure my neighbors are vigilant and aware of their belongings.

It would be a shame to hear on the news of a teen getting blown away for rummaging through a neighbors garage...

If anything close the garage doors...lock all the doors to the house and close up the fence....
I don't recognize the kids at all. Its an up and coming community with some younger families moving in and trying to improve the neighborhood. There are still a few houses and stretches that seem to be a little more hard. I whistled so the second groups of kids knew I was there and one of them tried to acting all big and bad and yelled hey hey hey back at me. I just replied that I had called the police already though I hadn't. I've already had one thing stole from my house in the short time we've lived here and to have both of these incidents happening today I'm just looking for a way to help surpress the situation.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Have your iphone or digital camera on you and take a photo of them doing it. Show it to the police or see if you can find out who they are and and send the photos to their parents.
Good call, I will definitely do that the next time.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I don't recognize the kids at all. Its an up and coming community with some younger families moving in and trying to improve the neighborhood. There are still a few houses and stretches that seem to be a little more hard. I whistled so the second groups of kids knew I was there and one of them tried to acting all big and bad and yelled hey hey hey back at me. I just replied that I had called the police already though I hadn't. I've already had one thing stole from my house in the short time we've lived here and to have both of these incidents happening today I'm just looking for a way to help surpress the situation.
I'm just curious to know what neighborhood or what part of town this happened in?

Do the houses have garages facing the street which make it easy for passerbys to see whats inside?

The advice squirl gave was excellent. If you have a smart phone that can take some high quality pictures snap photos of them while they're in the act of trespassing or stealing something and let the cops handle it. I hope that the teens don't trespass into the wrong house and accidently get shot for trespassing....as the homeowner will probably end up regretting it once he finds out it was a neighbors kid.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I'm just curious to know what neighborhood or what part of town this happened in?

Do the houses have garages facing the street which make it easy for passerbys to see whats inside?

The advice squirl gave was excellent. If you have a smart phone that can take some high quality pictures snap photos of them while they're in the act of trespassing or stealing something and let the cops handle it. I hope that the teens don't trespass into the wrong house and accidently get shot for trespassing....as the homeowner will probably end up regretting it once he finds out it was a neighbors kid.
South east corner of Inwood and University. I drove around after and saw the kids sitting at the bus stop. Looks like the don't live over here.

My house and the house they went into are both corner lots with garages facing a side street.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
South east corner of Inwood and University. I drove around after and saw the kids sitting at the bus stop. Looks like the don't live over here.

My house and the house they went into are both corner lots with garages facing a side street.
Humm I see....if these guys were sitting at a bus stop they probably live in another neighborhood....and are just probably petty thieves looking for an easy opportunity to steal something. I wonder what bus line they were waiting for and what neighborhoods that bus line services...

Also being that your house is a corner house with a garage facing a side street, you do give up a lot of privacy to practically anyone that walks or drives by. If I ever buy a house in the DFW area I'm making it a point to get a house with a side facing garage

Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM

276 posts, read 528,694 times
Call HOA or police depending on situation at hand.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Personally, I would go out and confront the kids and have them take me home to their parents. That used to scare the crap out of kids...and if they arent neighborhood kids, I bet they will never come in your area again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas