Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,713 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at homes in the Kings Ridge area of Far West Plano, specifically built by Grand Homes, since there are a number of foreclosures in the area, so there are great deals. But I dont know why there are so many foreclosures. The current house that we are looking at has been on the market for over a year, and has been vacant too. There are many cracks in the walls, ceilings, etc. Could this be due to vacancy and no upkeep coupled with settling, since the home is only 3 years old? Or is it the f word, foundation troubles, which by reading many posts seems to be an issue in the area? My questions to the forums are about the foundation, foreclosures in the area, and also Grand Homes. I have read a lot of posts saying they have read negative things about Grand Homes, but I have yet to find those specific threads. So please offer me any and all negative (and positive) experiences/stories with Grand Homes.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:33 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,751,787 times
I think it's going to be the lack of quality provided by Grand, along with being unoccupied more so than foundation problems. I'm not saying it isn't foundation, and that should be checked out if you find one you want to move forward on.

I have neighbors with cracks and other maintenance issues but out of the three builders in this section of the neighborhood (all around the same age with the same type of soil) the worst is Grand. In addition to their lack of quality construction, they apparently fight the warranty issues big time. We had some cracking in the ceiling that appeared after the year warranty was up due to having very dry couple of years and then finally a good chunk of wet weather. Sotherby was happy (or at least not grumpy) about coming out and fixing that. Grand fought people here during that first year when cracks started appearing.

Now there will be people jump in and say all the builders can build good houses and that they all use the same trades and same materials. Which may be true in some neighborhoods. Not in ours. We did extensive research and saw that the studs in the wall are not the same grade in the Grand homes here. And the subs are not the same from one to the other. So I would check with homeowners in that neighborhood and ask them about their Grand homes to get a feel for that area's homes.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Also, in most cases if you buy a foreclosure the warranty from the builder could be void. Even if it was in place there is little chance that Grand would do anything. They could have settled w/ the owners for the damage and that also would void the warranty. The owners could still have gotten foreclosed on if they did not want to deal with it.

In knowing all to well about fighting a builder on a warranty when it comes to foundation problems and knowing the signs of it, knowing of too many problems w/ this builder and knowing that this house has been empty for probably way more than a year............. I'd say it does have foundation problems. Slim chance of getting the warranty to be worth a dime and getting the builder to do anything about it.

You should also be able to look up the number of suits filed against Grand thru the courts. The BBB is useless in this matter. All the builder has to do is respond in a letter saying they have tried to resolve the problem and they get a satisfactory rating. Now, the cases filed could be a few years old as the state went to mandatory arbitration for the builders a few years ago and no one could sue them. HA! The state appointed committee in Austin that is to handle disputes that owners have w/ builders is entirely made up of builders. I do not know of one single case that has been resolved that sided w/ the owner/buyer.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM

68 posts, read 233,512 times
Default Nice Floorplans-would not recommend

I like their floorplans, but the quality is suspect. There are far better builders out there: Highland, David Weekley, for example. I just don't sell them because I think your better off paying more for the most expensive purchase you'll ever make. Always....Get an inspection to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into! There are other NEW home builders that will provide you with a warranty and allow you to sleep better at night!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,716 times
We live in Kings Ridge and our home was built by David Weekly and we are not having a problem. In 6 years time, we have not seen anyone's home being torn down and rebuilt. In addition, we rarely hear the train. It is a no-blow zone. If we are outside sometimes we will hear a rush of wind and a little bit of a train noise. IT IS NOT BAD and well worth it to live in this neighborhood. If you are interested in this area, buy David Weekly. As to the number of foreclosures - They were investment properties by less than ethical companies. The companies pull out when the market went down and the properties went up for foreclosure. There are some beautiful homes out here with very easy access to the tollway and 121. Someone can get quite a deal, but buyer beware if it is a foreclosure and the home has sat empty. You may put in more money in repairs then what it cost you to by a currently occupied home that is not in foreclosure.

Last edited by LBGB; 03-30-2009 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Forgot additional information

Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Grand Homes has a pretty bad reputation and my advice would be to find another builder. Their homes are many times difficult to resale.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM

107 posts, read 354,788 times
i would have to think about it! do not buy a home with cracks in the wall, not a good sign!!!!!!go on craigslist find an agent who will give up half of their commission and buy a new home!! i owned a grand home, not that many problems... but i cant stand plantation homes, idiots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: