Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,019 times

Advertisements

Hi all...so i am a 24year old male and i have a new job starting and its based in Irving on the corner of Walnut Hill Lane and Story Road. After reading the forums obviously the consensus is to live in Uptown or around it for the young professional scene so i was hoping to get some opinions on the apartments i have found so far. A locator sent me some places around uptown and some in las colinas as its closer to the office.

Basically if you could comment $ value, commute to Irving area, proximity to things to do....stuff like that i would appreciate it. I was hoping to keep the commute to around 30 minutes and my job will most likely start 8-9 am. My budget is around $1100. All four of these apartments are going to be around that price.

1.) IMT Seville Apartments-2626 Reagan Street. $1185 617 Square feet.
2.) Camden Design District-1551 Oak Lawn Avenue $1144 704 square feet

In Las Colinas...

3.) Alexan Urban Center-850 Carolyn parkway-no confirmed price but they start at $950 for 600 square feet or so
4.)Colonial Reserve-350 East Las Colinas Blvd- $1085 for about 750 square feet

So please let me know what you guys think. Am i wasting money? Am i in the perfect location? Have i gone completely wrong on all these? Let me know! And sorry if i forgot any info.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I believe you should live near the job. But many will disagree and think you will have a better social situation in Uptown.
Lots of the LC apartment communities -- especially in the Urban LC core around Lake Carolyn -- offer many social events such as happy hours and pool parties several times a week so residents can get acquainted. Can't hurt to take a tour and check some out......

Living in Uptown will cost more in terms of rent and commute. But if you really enjoy the bar scene, its the place to be.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
I would take Camden off of your list. Those places went up super fast and I haven't met anyone that hasn't experienced problems living there.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I will agree with Squirl that Las Colinas is the better option. Sign a short lease, and see how you like the area. You can always move if you decide that you like Uptown better. Also, living closer to work will help you be better acclimated at your job, and you won't have the issues of getting stuck in traffic and being late to work while you are still a new employee!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 AM

3,984 posts, read 5,014,494 times
Even though you're young, also determine how much noise and traffic you can handle. I always liked travelling TO the nightlife instead of living IN the nightlife. For that reason, I would not live in Uptown now...although I lived there in the 80's and 90's (before it was called Uptown). It is pretty great for shopping, eating and clubbing but honestly, the congestion is heavy unlike many, MANY years ago.

I would live in Las Colinas and live close to work. Once you get aclimated, you can decide if thats the best spot for you. I know it may mean moving again, but the commute from Uptown will/may wear on you. It may not look far, but that stretch of road always has construction, accidents galore and general stupidity.

So, sorry to say I'm not familiar with the places you listed but look at the reviews. Sometimes they help give you a rounded view of a place. And as Squirl said, the complexes usually hold events with food and drink for their residents. I'm not that social but that would be kind of fun, I'd think. Plus, with people you meet there, you can all pile in the car and make your way to the spots down/uptown and still go back to your quiet abode.

My sister lived in some apartments in Las Colinas off of O'Connor Blvd. back in the day. For the huge complex that it was, it was quiet and peaceful. There was a little lake with ducks, plenty of trees and covered parking. What a bargain! hehe Anyway, good luck to you. I hope someone has more knowledge of the exact places you're looking at...but for the move, I'd go with 1)close to work and 2) most economical for now!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 AM

559 posts, read 936,436 times
Just few suggestions from my personal experience living in Irving / Las Colinas area.... any mid to high price range apartment communities you go in Irving will have a large population of South Asians only. Example....... Apartment communities near Jefferson Park.

I personally prefer to avoid choosing any apartment communities on Belt Line Road and won't recommend anyone to pick any apartment communities south of Four Seasons Resort in Las Colinas..... too old communities with high crime.

I would recommend to pick apartments in Las Colinas and Valley Ranch area for a nice neighborhood and lots of restaurants for young people to explore (MacArthur Blvd has tons of nice restaurants).

Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
Just few suggestions from my personal experience living in Irving / Las Colinas area.... any mid to high price range apartment communities you go in Irving will have a large population of South Asians only. Example....... Apartment communities near Jefferson Park.

I personally prefer to avoid choosing any apartment communities on Belt Line Road and won't recommend anyone to pick any apartment communities south of Four Seasons Resort in Las Colinas..... too old communities with high crime.

I would recommend to pick apartments in Las Colinas and Valley Ranch area for a nice neighborhood and lots of restaurants for young people to explore (MacArthur Blvd has tons of nice restaurants).
I do agree that the area around TJ park (west side of MacArthur in zip code 75038) seems to have a strong presence of Indian/Asian residents as opposed to the area around Lake Carolyn in the LC "downtown" area in zip code 75039 tends to have a more balanced mix of all kind of folks. I think the places around Lake Carolyn attract more single, young professionals and the area around Thomas Jefferson park is much more family oriented.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,019 times
Thanks for all the advice... I really appreciate it. I have some showings set up this weekend so I'll have a chance to scope things out. I remember hearing that the area is possibly a dry town outside of Dallas. Is that the case or are there some bars in the Las Colinas area?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchilme View Post
Thanks for all the advice... I really appreciate it. I have some showings set up this weekend so I'll have a chance to scope things out. I remember hearing that the area is possibly a dry town outside of Dallas. Is that the case or are there some bars in the Las Colinas area?
Cool River, The Cellar, Margarita Ranch, Champps, The Ranch, iFratelli, and many more!
Not dry at all

Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 PM

66 posts, read 127,763 times
Uptown is a great suggestion when you live at an apartment complex that is easy walking distance to the major bar and restaurant hot spots. These apartments aren't really in the "thick of things" area. This is probably due to your low budget.

If your budget needs to stay that low, then living out closer to work may be much nicer for you. It's easier to drive around for your day-to-day stuff (groceries, work commute, grabbing a quick weeknight dinner, etc).

Has anyone mentioned Addison yet? That's another spot that is popular for singles in apartments. Not quite as walkable, but lots of bars and restaurants around. It should be a bit less expensive than Uptown. You'd have mostly a "reverse commute" to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas