Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 AM

11 posts, read 40,277 times

Advertisements

We've had FiOS for 7 months now and are about to do something I never thought I would do--willingly change to TWC. FiOS is great when it works. But about once a month cable or internet goes down. You will wait over an hour on hold for service. If you're without service for a few days, that's no big deal for them. They will send someone out in a few days or mail (??) you a part that probably won't solve the problem. Once you talk to a live person, you will find them to be invariably very polite and so willing to commiserate with you about how messed up Verizon is. Billing is also a monthly adventure. You might get double billed. You might have to go through your bank to prove that you paid your bill then spend an hour on the phone with them before they acknowledge that you really did paid them on time and graciously agree to "waive" the late fee.

The phone service is very reliable--we've thoroughly tested it on hold with Verizon customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 AM

13 posts, read 26,310 times
Since ATT/SBC is located in parts of Dallas did you think of checking on U-verse? (IPTV similar to FiOS) I am located in Milwaukee and moving very soon to Dallas and I think its the greatest thing since sliced bread! Its cheaper than TW, I can record 4 shows at the same time, set my DVR from any computer with an internet connection AND my cell phone! The picture is crystal clear in standard def and better in hi def... Don't know if it's an option there but I dig the service... Just my .02

Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 PM

937 posts, read 2,909,179 times
U-verse is available in Dallas but I heard that you can only have 1 HD feed into a house. Is this true in Milwaukee?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:26 PM

13 posts, read 45,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south carolina View Post
We've had FiOS for 7 months now and are about to do something I never thought I would do--willingly change to TWC. FiOS is great when it works. But about once a month cable or internet goes down. You will wait over an hour on hold for service. If you're without service for a few days, that's no big deal for them. They will send someone out in a few days or mail (??) you a part that probably won't solve the problem. Once you talk to a live person, you will find them to be invariably very polite and so willing to commiserate with you about how messed up Verizon is. Billing is also a monthly adventure. You might get double billed. You might have to go through your bank to prove that you paid your bill then spend an hour on the phone with them before they acknowledge that you really did paid them on time and graciously agree to "waive" the late fee.

The phone service is very reliable--we've thoroughly tested it on hold with Verizon customer service.
Don't believe this. It is not true. The service will not go down due to the redundancy built into the network unless there is a prolonged power outage.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:05 AM

13 posts, read 26,310 times
Good to know, THANKS! That is true- I can only get 1 HD signal at a time. It's not a big deal to me because the standard def is still better than my TW hi-def was and I have something like 38 channels of HD compared to 12 from my TW. Plus I am single... I dont need to fight with someone over the stream. I was told that I would see another HD stream this year at some point and a whole home DVR... I was just sorry that I was moving before I got to use it. Looking back, I sound like a commercial- they need to pay me for this...

Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 AM

937 posts, read 2,909,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor1974 View Post
Good to know, THANKS! That is true- I can only get 1 HD signal at a time. It's not a big deal to me because the standard def is still better than my TW hi-def was and I have something like 38 channels of HD compared to 12 from my TW. Plus I am single... I dont need to fight with someone over the stream. I was told that I would see another HD stream this year at some point and a whole home DVR... I was just sorry that I was moving before I got to use it. Looking back, I sound like a commercial- they need to pay me for this...
Ok thanks for confirming. The 1 HD feed is keeping us from trying it out.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:45 PM

80 posts, read 417,704 times
Time Warner is about to roll out some "tiered pricing" - basically they will ********* for downloading more data. That's cruft that Australia & european countries are trying to get rid of, and TW wants to add it here?

Eff you, Time Warner.

Go with FIOS if you can get it. I haven't had one single burp with the FIOS service, and I have stuff going 24/7. Not one hiccup so far.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:13 AM

22 posts, read 63,607 times
I just signed up for AT&T's 3 mbps sevice for $24.99/month. I have a $4.20/month phone line and got a $50 Visa gift card.

Compared to what I pay now in Idaho, this is dirt cheap.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:36 AM

11 posts, read 40,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2DFW View Post
Don't believe this. It is not true. The service will not go down due to the redundancy built into the network unless there is a prolonged power outage.
You are free to disagree, but don't please don't call me a liar. What does redundancy have to do with such things as a router going bad (and having a part mailed to you) and a cable getting knocked out by an installer moving a cable when installing your neighbor's system?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:08 PM

13 posts, read 45,644 times
I apologize if you took that as me calling you a liar. The network does not go down due to the redundancy. However localized issues, such as the router, have happened and can happen no matter who provides your tv services. I worked on video networks and telecom networks and you can't beat the dedicated bandwidth. It's also scalable. BTW, the networks are the same in NY, Dallas, Philadelphia, and Tampa thats how I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: