Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:27 PM

31 posts, read 85,665 times

Advertisements

From experience, the commute from Frisco to Las Colinas (north Irving) is not bad. Just figure you will be traveling toll roads so cost might be a factor. Prosper is probably pushing it. Other options highly recommended is flower mound and grapevine. I would seriously consider flower mound. It has a smaller town feel with a greater sense of community IMO. Use to live there and regret leaving in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM

106 posts, read 219,861 times
Based on commute and schools, Coppell, Irving- Coppell ISD, Flo Mo, Richardson- Select Richardson schools or PISD, West Plano, Southlake, Highlandpark are your best options. Rest depends on your budget.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:51 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BStinson View Post
Based on commute and schools, Coppell, Irving- Coppell ISD, Flo Mo, Richardson- Select Richardson schools or PISD, West Plano, Southlake, Highlandpark are your best options. Rest depends on your budget.
Really? Coppell will beat every place that you have up there in terms of schools, location and commute time hands down all day long. The school in Richardson worth considering is JJPearce, which still lags Coppell by a margin... good margin
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...at-2012-a.html

Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netfrog View Post
We are big fans of Richardson, and the commute to Irving would definitely be better than Frisco/Prosper/etc. It's older, but some great neighborhoods with tons of young families moving in, particularly on the west side (Richardson Heights/Heights Park/Reservation/Canyon Creek areas). It's not trendy with relo folks because the houses mostly date from 50s/60s, but they are far better built than most new construction, and you get the benefit of beautiful, established, tree-lined neighborhoods that are only about 15 miles from downtown Dallas. Our kids are in RISD and love it. I'd recommend checking it out.
Absolutely not better than South Frisco. Sorry. Have done both. Richardson to Irving is a mess due to 635 and all the inner roads will take forever.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:53 PM

73 posts, read 183,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Absolutely not better than South Frisco. Sorry. Have done both. Richardson to Irving is a mess due to 635 and all the inner roads will take forever.
Bush Turnpike is a great option from Richardson in that case (I've done that many times) - but keep in mind that LBJ will be done by the end of 2015, which will improve that drive quite a bit.

As for your earlier comment about RISD and JJ Pearce, note that Richardson HS is not far behind Pearce, and is rising in terms of scores/ratings. I'd consider that an either/or situation - both are good schools.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
We live in Prosper and love it.Our budget was under $500,000.We originally moved here from Greenwich,CT.Different towns and cities in DFW have different feels.Some very similar,some not at all.When we decided to move here,we did a few scouting trips and literally drove all over DFW.We looked EVERYWHERE and researched areas we knew we were not going to do out of pure curiosity.I will say this...going off what we heard/read/researched some areas lived up to our expectations,some did not and some blew us away.Before moving here,we had many friends/colleagues and a few family members giving us advice on where to look who were familiar with the DFW metroplex.

Having a reasonable commute to work was a must for us.I used to have a 45 minute commute in Connecticut. My goal was under 45 minutes for DFW.The closer to work the better,without us having to sacrifice too much on our want/need list. From Prosper to work,I am there in about 10-15 minutes.We got lucky in finding an area that fit our want/need list and still allowed me a decent work commute.That was a big deciding factor for us.Reasonable commute varies by person.I would never decide on an area to buy or build a house based mostly on work commute.

Our want/need list was pretty specific...

- Great school district

- Safe area surrounded by other low crime areas

- Close to family friendly activities and amenities that we specifically utilize often.

- Close to the tollway

- Energy efficient home

- Strict zoning ordinances

- We did not want to be surrounded by retail

- Large yard preferably in a town with mostly large yards overall.We were shocked how tight some of the DFW neighborhoods that we initially thought we would be interested in felt.I would say that was the biggest thing that turned us off about some DFW areas.Coming from Greenwich,Ct,I could not imagine being so close to my neighbors house.The houses being so close together aesthetically look kind of ridiculous.Especially when they are huge.Quarter acre was the absolute minimum we would consider for our yard.This was something that we would not budge on.

- No back alley way garage.Another thing we were not willing to budge on.

Colleyville,Prosper,Southlake,Fairview and Flower Mound were the areas we seriously considered. I would say that we would have been happy in any of those towns/cities,they were all great fits. Coppell,Plano and Frisco were the stand out nos for us.West Mc Kinney we thought was very nice,but not on the list of the 5 great fits.

Part of what makes DFW so fantastic is that there really is a place for everyone when it comes to home buying.Scouting out areas and really driving around is a must as well as having a really concrete want/needs list.

Last edited by CREW747; 04-27-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 AM

23 posts, read 41,520 times
If you are looking for Frisco or Prosper, my recommendation is south and/or West Part of Frisco. I have driven few times and lot of my friends commute everyday work to Irving. It is not as bad as the responses above. In rush hour, it will take 30 to 45 minutes. Personally I like west Frisco.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhee View Post
If you are looking for Frisco or Prosper, my recommendation is south and/or West Part of Frisco. I have driven few times and lot of my friends commute everyday work to Irving. It is not as bad as the responses above. In rush hour, it will take 30 to 45 minutes. Personally I like west Frisco.
After today's announcement by Toyota move faster real estate values / demand is going to soar higher

Old 06-17-2014, 01:13 PM

117 posts, read 150,689 times
Depends on what you can afford. Based of school performance here is what I would suggest. All are within about a 30 minute commute.

Highland Park ISD
Southlake ISD
Coppell ISD
West Plano High School feeder schools (pay tolls)

Old 06-18-2014, 10:00 AM

23 posts, read 41,520 times
To answer your question: Frisco is better option. It is closer to highways. If you have to commute everyday to Las Colinas, my recommendation is go for Southwest Frisco. It will take 30 to 40 minutes commute during rush hour and tolls will be under 4 dollars roundtrip from SouthWest Frisco. I personally feel Frisco has lot of potential and it is one of the fastest growing city in United States. I see lot of families with younger kids moving to Frisco, you kids will have good time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: