Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 177,361 times

Advertisements

I'm living in South Florida the past 12 years and can't wait to relocate out of here.
I'm a Corporate Trainer (for Graphic Design & Sales Teams).

I'm seriously looking to relocate to Dallas, Texas around the new year.
I wanted to know if anyone can give me some insight to the city.
* Which are the best parts of Dallas to live?
* How are the job opportunities & employment rate?
* What are the best job fields for employment?
* Any Job Opportunities for Corporate Trainer?
* Any discrimiation for Jewish people?
* Crime Rate?
* Which part of Dallas is considered to be the good areas as opposed to the bad areas?

I appreciate any feedback that I can get.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:47 PM

147 posts, read 241,273 times
DFW is a very large area with about 5 million people in it. The HR job rate market is very competitive. Dallas has one of the largest professional association chapters of HR people in the country.

Most people in Dallas are from somewhere else, and many from the Northeast and California.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Which are the best parts of Dallas to live?
Depends on what you like. There are some places to avoid though. Places like Wilmer-Hutchins is high on the list of places to avoid and anything VERY close to that area.

* How are the job opportunities & employment rate?
There are jobs here.

* What are the best job fields for employment?
Wide open.

* Any Job Opportunities for Corporate Trainer?
I am sure there are as Dallas is home to many large companies.

* Any discrimiation for Jewish people?
No. There are two main synagogues in Dallas. I know many that attend one of the largest here. Here is the link to Temple Emanu-El (http://www.tedallas.org/) (broken link). I actually am seriously considering having my children attend a Hebrew class.

* Crime Rate?
Not as bad as it is made out to be. It is all relative really. I look at what areas, time of day or night crimes happen and then if it was stranger-stranger or family/friend. Makes a HUGE difference. Then just like anywhere, don't do really dumb things that can put you at risk to being a victim of any type of crime.

* Which part of Dallas is considered to be the good areas as opposed to the bad areas?
See the first answer. Other than that just about EVERY city/suburb around here has some bad areas and some good areas. Overall, most view the north side of Dallas to be the "good" side.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:21 AM
why

16 posts, read 194,060 times
I would highly recommend you to find another place to plan on moveing. Especially since your from Florida, people in Fl. are alot more laid back, If you like stuck up people that walk around thinking they are better than you then this is your type of place. I have lived here in texas for 9 months and i can honestly say it is a horrible place to live. I would not recommend anyone to move here. Houses are cheap but so is the hospitality. I have to say i am a attractive 30 year old with 2 children a nice house and a new vehicle thanks to a fellow Texan totaling mine. I am a people person. And i have NEVER had problems making friends in Maryland where i am from. But here you would think i have two heads and i must say people here are not very bright i have been called a yankee too many times. I tried to introduce my self to my neighbors being i was going to be a at home mom and they shot me down and said they don't like out of staters. Which is also not very smart being majority of texans arent real TEXANS. I have never been treated this poorly in my life and i regret every moment i am here. THere is nothing to do and no real siteseeing. It is flat and BORING. The children are also very rude and have NO Manners. I think the school systems have NO clue there are other states in the US that they can teach except my 9 year old spends half the year learning about texas which has NO real history except maybe indians. I am sorry i came and when i get the hell out of here i will NEVER COME BACk. The bad thing is i am here for 7 years.
FInd another place to move.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,148,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
I would highly recommend you to find another place to plan on moveing. Especially since your from Florida, people in Fl. are alot more laid back, If you like stuck up people that walk around thinking they are better than you then this is your type of place. I have lived here in texas for 9 months and i can honestly say it is a horrible place to live. I would not recommend anyone to move here. Houses are cheap but so is the hospitality. I have to say i am a attractive 30 year old with 2 children a nice house and a new vehicle thanks to a fellow Texan totaling mine. I am a people person. And i have NEVER had problems making friends in Maryland where i am from. But here you would think i have two heads and i must say people here are not very bright i have been called a yankee too many times. I tried to introduce my self to my neighbors being i was going to be a at home mom and they shot me down and said they don't like out of staters. Which is also not very smart being majority of texans arent real TEXANS. I have never been treated this poorly in my life and i regret every moment i am here. THere is nothing to do and no real siteseeing. It is flat and BORING. The children are also very rude and have NO Manners. I think the school systems have NO clue there are other states in the US that they can teach except my 9 year old spends half the year learning about texas which has NO real history except maybe indians. I am sorry i came and when i get the hell out of here i will NEVER COME BACk. The bad thing is i am here for 7 years.
Why, I think you're doing both the visitor's here and yourself a disservice. Texas is not your neighborhood, DFW is not your neighborhood, and even the rest of Rockwall is not your neighborhood. I understand you have had a rough time here in the past nine months, but to cast aspersions on all Texans, solely based on the encounters you have experienced is insensitive and disrespectful.

Quote:
THere is nothing to do and no real siteseeing.
According to a very unofficial and simplistic Goggle search on "sightseeing Texas" and "sightseeing Maryland" one finds 1.9 million pages for Texas and 900,000 for Maryland. Considering that Maryland is 350 years older than Texas (though in truth much smaller geographically) I would say that there are plenty of things to see and do here.

Quote:
It is flat and BORING.
Yes. Texas has flat areas. But in addition to a coastal plain, rolling hills and mountain regions, Texas also offers prairies, high plains, and the semiarid region of West Texas. No Texas does not have a region like the Allegheny Mountains. But rather than criticize over the differences, why not take off the "rose colored" Maryland Glasses and see the beauty around you. After all beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh and the highest point in Texas, Guadalupe Peak, is 2.6 times higher than Hoye Crest on Backbone Mountain.

Quote:
The children are also very rude and have NO Manners.
In my travels I've visited 30 of the lower 48 states and 14 countries. I have found the above to be true of at least some of the children in each place I've been. It is a result of poor parenting in my opinion and Texas is not the sole place to lay claim to poor parents.

Quote:
I think the school systems have NO clue there are other states in the US that they can teach except my 9 year old spends half the year learning about texas which has NO real history except maybe indians.
Again using my simplistic search as above Texas has 86.7 million hits for "Texas history" and Maryland (with it's 350 years of additional existence) has 15.3 million hits for "Maryland history". According to the National Center for History in the Schools, one of the content standards for K-4 is "The History of the Students' Own State or Region". And to be honest, in my experience with education systems in the South at least the States of Virgina, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana all required state history. Also I find your above statement to be racially insensitive toward Native Americans, their history and their contributions to our country.

Quote:
I am sorry i came and when i get the hell out of here i will NEVER COME BACk. The bad thing is i am here for 7 years.
Again, I say that Texas is not defined by Rockwall, Texas or the citizens in your neighborhood.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:14 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
* Which are the best parts of Dallas to live? North Dallas
* How are the job opportunities & employment rate? Opportunities Booming / Employment Rate Low
* What are the best job fields for employment? High Tech
* Any Job Opportunities for Corporate Trainer? Yes
* Any discrimiation for Jewish people? No
* Crime Rate? High
* Which part of Dallas is considered to be the good areas as opposed to the bad areas? North Dallas

You'll be fine, just don't move to Why's neighborhood.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 PM

56 posts, read 389,074 times
Honestly it sucks, well for me. lol Of course other people love it here. Im ready to move where theres a nice ocean and mountains. To answer your questions...

* Which are the best parts of Dallas to live? That depends on if you are single or have a family. Like someone said North Dallas is nice for a single person, such areas like ADDISON, LEWISVILLE, or DOWNTOWN/UPTOWN for the single person. For a family, Id say PLANO, RICHARDSON, FRISCO, or even SOUTHLAKE, GRAPEVINE which are closer to the airport, and more centrally located in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex. Stay away from Ft. Worth unless you like country. lol
* How are the job opportunities & employment rate? Job opps are everywhere. Dallas has one of the highest employment rates in the nation currently, lots of jobs available. Tech jobs are one of the big ones out here as well.
* What are the best job fields for employment? IT, Manufacturing, Advertising
* Any Job Opportunities for Corporate Trainer? Not sure on that.
* Any discrimiation for Jewish people? Not that I know of.
* Crime Rate? Higher than average, not so much in suburbs. Stay away from South parts of downtown, Southeast of Dallas (Pleasant Grove), and Southwest of Dallas (Oak Cliff), parts of Irving, parts of Garland, parts of Mesquite, and you should be alright.
* Which part of Dallas is considered to be the good areas as opposed to the bad areas? North OF Dallas is nice, North DALLAS is still questionable. Highland Park is nice, areas around SMU are nice, Plano is nice, Frisco is nice, Most of Richardson is good, Lewisville is ok moreso the southern parts, Carrollton is OK, northern parts of Carrollton are the nicer areas.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:14 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,974 times
Why...your response seems very emotional and one sided. Some of us have had a great experience here in Dallas thus far, so it's not really fair to paint the entire area with the same brush because of a few bad experiences.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:03 AM
neo

18 posts, read 206,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
I have lived in Florida, Texas and other states, and I don't know if I've ever read a post I disagree with more.

First off, people in Florida, generally speaking, are NOT laid back. No way. I lived in several different areas in Florida, and it was the same thing; miserable, uptight, selfish people who moved there thinking it was some kind of paradise that would heal the massive void in their souls (of course, it didn't).

Now, I realize not EVERYONE in Florida is this way. But unfortunatly, this is typical of people there.

I lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex area for four years, and it was SO much better socially than the northern state (Utah) I had moved from. The kids as well as the aduts were MUCH more respectful than up north. And I was NEVER called a "yankee" in all the four years I lived in Texas. I found that, generally speaking, Texans are respectful of you just so long as you are respectful of them.

Of course, there are bad neighborhoods in every state. Maybe Why just happened to move into a bad one.

Last edited by neo; 11-17-2006 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-17-2006, 02:36 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
* Which are the best parts of Dallas to live? North Dallas
* How are the job opportunities & employment rate? Opportunities Booming / Employment Rate Low
* What are the best job fields for employment? High Tech
* Any Job Opportunities for Corporate Trainer? Yes
* Any discrimiation for Jewish people? No
* Crime Rate? High
* Which part of Dallas is considered to be the good areas as opposed to the bad areas? North Dallas

You'll be fine, just don't move to Why's neighborhood.
You crack me up. That last sentence is HILARIOUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas