Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 AM

104 posts, read 432,364 times

Advertisements

If you don't mind me asking, where do you buy toll tags? Are they electronic tags or do you still have to STOP at a booth?

In Illinois, we have electronic transponders and we can drive through the toll lanes and not stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
It was my understanding that the gas tax covered federal and state highways. City roads were built/maintained via city taxes (property, sales, etc).

Since I don't drive on the toll roads, except on very rare occasions, the toll fees don't bother me in the least. Pay per use. You have two choices: use alternative routes or pay the fee. If these roads were paid with tax money, I would be paying for yet another infrastructure cost that I simply don't use.

As someone always says here, there's no such thing as a free lunch. If a toll road wasn't put in place, we'd be paying for it in another way. Toll roads actually localize the cost to the people that actually use it - meaning they may pay a higher per-use fee, because there is a smaller pool of people paying for it - but it is indeed the people that use it that pay. Conceptually, you can't argue with the logic. If you don't like it - move closer to work or take alternative routes.

The only way to avoid these infrastructure costs are to reduce demand for roads - which really means increasing density, increasing transit times, avoiding driving, encouraging people to live closer to work, encouraging public transportation and/or increasing taxes. Really, the choice is yours.

Brian

Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Spouse View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where do you buy toll tags? Are they electronic tags or do you still have to STOP at a booth?

In Illinois, we have electronic transponders and we can drive through the toll lanes and not stop.
www.ntta.org - it's an eletronic transponder.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Yes, that's the full cost. If I drove it everyday, I'd get a toll tag because it is discounted and certainly quicker than having to stop and finding all those quarters. Yesterday, I got a full $10 roll of quarters at the first booth and came back w/one dollar's worth in one trip!
Good grief!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Admittedly, I've been a holdout getting a toll tag, because I just have a personal "thing" against it, I guess. To me it's just like using a credit card, i.e., when you're not doling out the cash everyday, you don't realize just how much you're spending 'til you get the bill and even with the discount, it can run up darn quick!
True, but I don't use the toll roads that often. It's just nice to not have to dig around desperately for change; I rarely carry cash anyway.

Quote:
And, with GBT, it started out at 25 cents, then up to 50 cents, then 75 cents, now a $1.00 a toll booth! Wayyy too darn much of an increase in too short of time... where does it stop?
We can thank the exurbs for that. It's costing the rest of us an arm and a leg to bring roads to them.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Spouse View Post

You can get them on the NTTA's website but mine took 3 weeks to arrive. It was a major pain. Before I got license plates on my car I confess I blazed through a toll booth or two without paying because I didn't have the correct change. Without a license plate there wasn't any way for them to trace me.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
nD you scofflaw! I remember the days of people travelling tipsy up the tollway at over 100 mph in German cars (I was a scofflaw too!). Now I find it a badge of honor that I don't have a tolltag.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
www.ntta.org - it's an eletronic transponder.
Thank you!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
nD you scofflaw! I remember the days of people travelling tipsy up the tollway at over 100 mph in German cars (I was a scofflaw too!). Now I find it a badge of honor that I don't have a tolltag.
Hey, it's not my fault. The roads have changed so much since I left and the tolls have gone up too. I didn't PLAN to dodge tolls, but what was I going to do...stand there blocking the booth, begging for change? They don't take credit cards.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Thanks for your answer. I'm beginning to better understand the whole thing now

I just dropped my son off in front of the terminal. It took maybe 10 minutes or less, then got charged the $2.00. I did have my son give me a roll of quarters before we even left for the airport. LOL

Oh well......I broke down and got a toll tag just for convenience sake.
I never use my the toll tag gate when I am dropping somebody at the airport because I always return out the same entrance I came in. It is cheaper to take the little ticket when you enter and just pay $1 as you leave.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
You can get them on the NTTA's website but mine took 3 weeks to arrive. It was a major pain. Before I got license plates on my car I confess I blazed through a toll booth or two without paying because I didn't have the correct change. Without a license plate there wasn't any way for them to trace me.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas