Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:53 PM

40 posts, read 92,972 times

Advertisements

Who's responsible for these DFW freeways and who can I write a complaint to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Depends on which one you are talking about. NTTA for their tollways; I guess TDOT for the state hwys, USDOT for interstates

Old 05-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Depends on which one you are talking about. NTTA for their tollways; I guess TDOT for the state hwys, USDOT for interstates
Yes, I need information on all of that. These hippie freeways are an embarrassment, I mean extremely bad. I've lived in several cities, and by far DFW has the worst freeways of any metro I've ever been to or lived in.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:14 PM

17 posts, read 18,553 times
Whats so bad about them the traffic or the condition of the roads?

Old 05-19-2014, 06:18 AM

504 posts, read 801,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post
Yes, I need information on all of that. These hippie freeways are an embarrassment, I mean extremely bad. I've lived in several cities, and by far DFW has the worst freeways of any metro I've ever been to or lived in.
It's NTTA for toll roads and TxDOT for everything else. I have lived in several states as well and find the DFW freeways to be adequately designed, built and maintained. Texas is a very pro transportation state and TxDOT is one of the leaders in the nation, along with Caltrans and FDOT, when it comes to research and innovation.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:52 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
DFW highways are fearsome, but I find navigating DFW much less aggravating than navigating Chicago. It's the drivers that unnerve me. Nowhere else have I ever so often had the experience of hearing a honk, glancing into my rear view mirror, and exclaiming "where the devil did he come from?"

Old 05-19-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird5 View Post
Whats so bad about them the traffic or the condition of the roads?
The drivers are bad, but the people in charge can't really control that. Not unless of course they hire more police to enforce the law but that's discussion is for another thread. These freeways are incredibly inefficient to drive around on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
It's NTTA for toll roads and TxDOT for everything else. I have lived in several states as well and find the DFW freeways to be adequately designed, built and maintained. Texas is a very pro transportation state and TxDOT is one of the leaders in the nation, along with Caltrans and FDOT, when it comes to research and innovation.
OK .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
DFW highways are fearsome, but I find navigating DFW much less aggravating than navigating Chicago. It's the drivers that unnerve me. Nowhere else have I ever so often had the experience of hearing a honk, glancing into my rear view mirror, and exclaiming "where the devil did he come from?"
SoCal drivers are pretty bad as well. But these freeways are very poorly contructed, and the signs telling you where you're suppose to be going are even worse. Oh and not to mention the unnecessary tolls everywhere. I've lived in California and Washington State, both of which have toll roads, but it's ridiculous to have them obnoxiously plastered all over the place like they are in DFW.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePercenter View Post

SoCal drivers are pretty bad as well. But these freeways are very poorly contructed, and the signs telling you where you're suppose to be going are even worse. Oh and not to mention the unnecessary tolls everywhere. I've lived in California and Washington State, both of which have toll roads, but it's ridiculous to have them obnoxiously plastered all over the place like they are in DFW.
You have to give us examples of poorly constructed and poorly signed roads. Just by repeating that doesn't make them so. They are no "unnecessary tolls everywhere". There are 4 toll roads in the DFW area maintained by NTTA (SRT, DNT, PGBT and CTP) plus a new one under construction (LBJ by a private developer. All of them, with the exception of portion of DNT, provide you alternate routes and wide multi lane frontage roads. I KNOW for a fact that Texas' frontage road system is far superior than CA and WA. LBJ once reconstructed will provide you an option to stay on free lanes or pay tolls.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
When I first moved here. I remember thinking that the freeway signage is very poor. For instance, getting on 635 at Hillcrest, I think, there was no sign that said east or west. Now this is not something I'm proud of, but I have a terrible sense of direction!

I can't tell you how many times I went the wrong way for awhile until I learned my exits and landmarks. Now that I understand the lay of the land better, I don't get lost all the time.

The fact that each freeway has 2-3 names adds to the signage confusion.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
When I first moved here. I remember thinking that the freeway signage is very poor. For instance, getting on 635 at Hillcrest, I think, there was no sign that said east or west. Now this is not something I'm proud of, but I have a terrible sense of direction!

I can't tell you how many times I went the wrong way for awhile until I learned my exits and landmarks. Now that I understand the lay of the land better, I don't get lost all the time.

The fact that each freeway has 2-3 names adds to the signage confusion.
635 at Hillcrest was under construction. The whole 635 is a mess between US 75 and I-35 at the moment. Try to avoid it if you can. Once it's all done, it will be nice. Another year or so of pain. I agree with you regarding multiple names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas