Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,394 times

Advertisements

My family and I are visiting from Gilbert AZ, we are thinking of moving to the area since we have family in Frisco.

In Gilbert I had the perfect school picked out for my almost 4 year old, I lost a lot of sleep and a lot of time finding the perfect spot . I don't have the first clue about schools here in TX. My son currently goes to ASU, it's a great little program they have for students in the child psych and development program. They have already tested my son in several areas and he is showing signs of being gifted. I am looking for small class sizes, and a fun learning environment. In Gilbert, the best option for this was a charter school.

Can anyone help?! I really don't have the first clue.

Also what's the difference between Frisco, McKenney and Allen?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 12:42 PM

168 posts, read 274,415 times
Where will you work? There are bunches of threads on those three districts and you will get lots of different opinions on which is better. How much of a commute you can tolerate will determine a lot. Generally speaking, most on this forum will have these districts in the top tier, Highland Park, Coppell, and Plano. My kids are in Allen ISD and I've been very happy.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, my brain is mush from lack of sleep with a 7 month old.

My husband will be telecommuting, I am a freelance graphic designer and photographer so we are flexible. We are possibly looking to live close to my SIL who is in Frisco.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 AM

953 posts, read 1,829,978 times
Then you should clearly choose frisco especially south-east that is zoned to Liberty High, Centennial or the new Independence high.. these schools are superior than Allen and McKinney.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Then you should clearly choose frisco especially south-east that is zoned to Liberty High, Centennial or the new Independence high.. these schools are superior than Allen and McKinney.

That, I believe, is a matter of opinion. Most every ranking I recall seeing has Allen above Frisco and McKinney. I don't have time to research it though. I personally think they are all good choices though. If I didn't have to commute and had family in Frisco, I would probably choose Frisco.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:29 AM

419 posts, read 553,053 times
Im not sure I would say they are superior. Where do you get this info? They are very different and it depends on what you are looking for.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 AM

do they use common core in Texas? I guess what I'm getting at is in Arizona public schools aren't even an option, private charter schools are the way to go.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:31 AM

953 posts, read 1,829,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaintex View Post
That, I believe, is a matter of opinion. Most every ranking I recall seeing has Allen above Frisco and McKinney. I don't have time to research it though. I personally think they are all good choices though. If I didn't have to commute and had family in Frisco, I would probably choose Frisco.
Note. I did not say all frisco high schools. Here is the average DFW SAT scores. Allen is not even in top 20 whereas both Centennial and Liberty High are in top 15. No, it is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...at-2012-a.html

Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM

419 posts, read 553,053 times
Ive seen the list. I would argue a 20 point difference between Allen and Liberty is significant. In fact, the year before, Allen beat both schools by an even larger margin. Superior would not be the right word here. That aside, SAT scores arent always the best metrics to weigh the quality of the school. Scores are strongly correlated to the family income of the students. Taking into consideration the demographics of both schools, the ranking is a nod to Allen, not Frisco. I dont want this to turn into a thread on how to rank schools but the statement you made simply isnt true.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Note. I did not say all frisco high schools. Here is the average DFW SAT scores. Allen is not even in top 20 whereas both Centennial and Liberty High are in top 15. No, it is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...at-2012-a.html
As has been argued ad naseum on this board, there are many more rankings that matter than just the SAT. I just don't have time to look them all up. Their child is 4 and has years until he reaches high school anyway. With the way Frisco rezones, it is possible they could end up in an entirely different school. We know that won't happen in Allen. Plus, my kids elementary was recently ranked 3rd in the entire state in one of the rankings.

Plus, I already said in their situation I would choose Frisco. And, from everything I've read here, if the child is gifted a completely different set of districts should also be considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas