Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:32 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,768 times

Advertisements

The only thing that shocked me was how there's no DMV here, you have to jump through hoops to get your registration, plates, and license.

We moved here from Virginia where you could get your license printed at the DMV in 15 minutes... only to arrive at DPS and learn that we had to go without our licenses for 3 weeks. Luckily we have passports so when I had to fly I could at least present a photo ID. In VA we also could get custom plates without a hassle... 7 characters all online. Here it's 6 characters and you have to guess if someone already has what you want. I didn't realize VA was the hotbed of DMV technology

We live in Sachse, not Dallas proper, so our experiences have been somewhat different. I don't see a huge traffic issue, on the contrary, there are so many routes between two points that you can avoid traffic in most hours.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:17 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The only thing that shocked me was how there's no DMV here, you have to jump through hoops to get your registration, plates, and license.
I was delighted how easy it was to get the above mentioned stuff. It is a little annoying to go to two seperate places for your license and then also the plates/registration. But once I had my paperwork in order staff at both the tax office and driver license office were friendly and efficient. Compared to the nightmate that is the California DMV Texas is a breeze.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:19 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDavidBanner View Post
After moving to Dallas and living there for some time. What were the things you wished you knew before you moved? What shocked you the most about the area? And knowing what you know now would you still have moved to Dallas. And if not why? Thanks.
My wife and I did our due diligence and I'm happy to say we have not had any shocks or surprises. And we would do the move all over again. Remember, everything is relative. We came here from Los Angeles, so for us the cost of living and housing is cheaper and the traffic everyone complains about is a joke. Anyone who would move to a new city though without a thorough understanding of the costs, culture, job market, etc. is foolish and inviting trouble.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:19 PM

10,949 posts, read 1,308,111 times
Do i need to get a Texas license and plates? Can't i just keep my old ones if i do decide to move down there cause if i don't like it there i'm moving back home?

Old 12-24-2007, 04:29 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeli View Post
Do i need to get a Texas license and plates? Can't i just keep my old ones if i do decide to move down there cause if i don't like it there i'm moving back home?
You have 30 days:
ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/misc/vtr450forms.pdf (broken link)

You will stick out like a sore thumb with out of state tags (unless from one of the bordering states).

Old 12-24-2007, 04:47 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I was delighted how easy it was to get the above mentioned stuff. It is a little annoying to go to two seperate places for your license and then also the plates/registration. But once I had my paperwork in order staff at both the tax office and driver license office were friendly and efficient. Compared to the nightmate that is the California DMV Texas is a breeze.
I totally agree. Hardly any line and it moved quickly. I can't seem to get out of the habit of calling it the DMV instead of the DPS though.

I had a little trouble getting used to the service road concept at first, but now I really like it.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:02 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDavidBanner View Post
After moving to Dallas and living there for some time. What were the things you wished you knew before you moved? What shocked you the most about the area? And knowing what you know now would you still have moved to Dallas. And if not why? Thanks.
How lonely it can be.

Irony is that I'm in sales and I meet alot of new people on a daily basis, many more than most - but most people will agree that it takes time to develop personal relationships with these people outside of work.

Suddenly, one finds themselves missing the former relationships they had that were at one time taken for granted. I thought this part would be alot easier than it has been. I can't imagine how difficult this transition would be for shy and/or reserved types.

How much of an affect it would have on my kids. Both have adjusted ok thus far, but if either were given a choice between recv christmas presents or moving back to CA, both would pick the latter -which is odd for little ones. My boy still wakes in the middle of the night and tells me that he dreams of living in CA again "when he grows up". Me and the wife try to never talk negatively about TX in front of them, so these thoughts are native to thier perception of the transition.

3. Forgive me for using this word, but "Clickish" (Spell?) is definitely apparent the longer you're here. Not that anyone is mean/rude per say, but they simply already have existing relationships and have very little interest in letting others into their inner circle; either that or they are too busy to care. The people that have been real easy to meet and interact with are almost gypsy-like. With many of them moving every year for the past 4-5 years. I've met alot of people that fall into this transient type description.

4. How expensive air travel is leaving TX. Very inexpensive to fly here from just about anyplace else, but flying out is sometimes complicated and expensive. Not sure what dynamics are working against me here, but it has been a struggle.

Now, what has surprised me in a good way....I love both airports here.

The other days I was in the San Jose airport and it seemed like 3rd world compared to DFW. DFW is intimidating at first, but as you learn how to use it, you appreciate the consistent user interface it offers. Love field is dreamlike. Every airport in the US needs to be a Love field.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:50 PM

70 posts, read 314,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
"I disagree with that statement. I myself would try to think of a new job,work from home, or something like that. Some people will just continue to take the abuse. There are always other options out there... you just have to think outside of the box. Some people here in the DC area do 1 and 2 hour drives to work which to me is crazy as hell."
Well if everyone was like you and found a place 2 minutes from home, there wouldnt be any traffic problems would there? fact of the matter is in most cases, people have built up a career at 1 company and for whatever reason (imminent retirement, built up goodwill, seniority which affords them more vacation etc) tend to stay with that place particularly as they get into their upper 40s and early 50s.

All i said was most people end up accepting it and thats just the way it is. I wasnt making any statement about whether its right or wrong.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
You have 30 days:
ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/misc/vtr450forms.pdf (broken link)

You will stick out like a sore thumb with out of state tags (unless from one of the bordering states).
I went 6 months, shh!

Old 12-25-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
How lonely it can be.

Irony is that I'm in sales and I meet alot of new people on a daily basis, many more than most - but most people will agree that it takes time to develop personal relationships with these people outside of work.

Suddenly, one finds themselves missing the former relationships they had that were at one time taken for granted. I thought this part would be alot easier than it has been. I can't imagine how difficult this transition would be for shy and/or reserved types.
I'm extremely shy and that's been a huge problem for me so far. I work from home most days, but even in the office everyone I've met is either 20 years older than me or has infants at home.

It's weird being 30, married with a kid, and trying to find friends again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas