Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:44 PM

80 posts, read 417,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Is anyone else in shock at just how much the fees for these things are? Actually its not just the DMV; the phone company, the utilities, etc all had ridiculous sign up fees. And one of the utility companies actually tacked on a fee for using a credit card to pay for the sign up!
Odd. I signed up for FIOS from Verizon as a bundle (internet/tv/phone) and they didn't ding me for a sign up fee at all. Neither did the other utilities.

My AT&T phone bill here in California? 52% of the bill was TAXES. So, that's not just a TX thing at all.. it's a TAX thing.

The power company here (PG&E .. Pacific Gas & Extortion) tried to run a credit check on me and when I refused to allow it, they charged me a $200 deposit. (As a general rule, I do not give my SSN to anybody. The darn power company doesn't need it.)

I signed up with Direct Energy and they didn't charge me any fees or any start-up costs. They were easy to deal with. $0.12/kilowatt hour too. PG&E is dinging me for an average of $0.21/kilowatt hour.

What on Earth did you sign up for?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:53 PM

670 posts, read 3,000,101 times
Potroast I didn't have those problems either, but I do think most utility companies pull credit and/or utility history so maybe if you have a poor credit history or no history they make you pay a deposit?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:04 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
Potroast I didn't have those problems either, but I do think most utility companies pull credit and/or utility history so maybe if you have a poor credit history or no history they make you pay a deposit?
TXU popped me over $300 for a deposit even though I have good credit. It annoyed me, but what can you do...go without power?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:11 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,765,157 times
If you can get a good payment history from your previous utility companies, that will help to keep you from paying a deposit.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:11 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
If you can get a good payment history from your previous utility companies, that will help to keep you from paying a deposit.
I lived in the UK for six years prior to moving here, and the electricity was in my ex's name. So probably not an option. As long as I pay my bills on time (not a problem), I'll get the money back.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:14 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,765,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
TXU popped me over $300 for a deposit even though I have good credit. It annoyed me, but what can you do...go without power?
I felt bad for our realtor at our previous place ... we had a relocation company move us, when we got our payout for the house, the realtor was to then put the utilities in her name (to be reimbursed by the relo company) until our house was closed on by the buyer. She had to pay a $500 deposit for 3 weeks of service, and then all they did was just subtract the amount she owed from the deposit, and issued her a check for the balance.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:49 PM

8 posts, read 15,068 times
its boring and the people think its the best place on earth.(i live around the ghetto part). but thats just me since I'm from Los Angeles.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 AM

875 posts, read 1,094,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why certain companies charge a deposit.

My son and his wife used TXU, have good credit, but had to pay a $300 deposit. They've had nothing but problems with TXU. The first summer they lived in their new house, their AC bills were astronomical ($600 per month), then it was discovered that a critter was living in the attic, and had chewed threw, and torn several portions of the ducting. My son fixed it all, but when the next summer came, their bills were the same. After a few phone calls, TXU said they hadn't even read their meter, and if their next monthly usage was less, they would reevaluate the previous two months billing, and reimburse the difference - but they still had to pay the bill for the months the meter hadn't been read "first"!

I used Ambit for electricity and they only charged a small connection fee. On the other hand, I had Verizon home phone service in Oregon, but Verizon here still charged the usual fees as if I'd never been a customer before, and same for my Verizon DSL.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
its boring and the people think its the best place on earth.(i live around the ghetto part). but thats just me since I'm from Los Angeles.
Move back to Los Angeles.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,756,204 times
You'll get the deposit credited back after a year or so. Just call them. Yeah, it's an interest free loan from you to them but so what, you'll just lose a few bucks in interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas