Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,730,939 times

Advertisements

We recycle our cans.... that's about it. For a different perspective, watch this video. There's plenty of "bad" language, so be forewarned, but it pretty much sums up the feel good hysteria.

Recycling Is Bull****

Also keep in mind that cutting down trees and planting new ones is actually a great way to store carbon within the wood, rather than letting it burn in fires or decompose on the forest floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM

447 posts, read 1,011,716 times
The German government heavily subsidizes solar...that's why it's so prevalent. Not criticizing, just pointing that out.

Our family of 4 generates a big blue bin of recycling weekly...the Dallas program allows a lot of things to be recycled.

But I'm surprised we don't have a "green" bin too...a compost bin. We had them in Los Angeles for all the yard & food waste, and it was great!!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,569,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
But I'm surprised we don't have a "green" bin too...a compost bin. We had them in Los Angeles for all the yard & food waste, and it was great!!
that would be fantastic!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
We recycle our cans.... that's about it. For a different perspective, watch this video. There's plenty of "bad" language, so be forewarned, but it pretty much sums up the feel good hysteria.

Recycling Is Bull****
I was intrigued...until I saw it was a Penn & Teller vid. They can spin any angle.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm puzzled... why wouldn't you just go get one or make one if you want it?

Compost Bin Construction Plans

Old 07-24-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I was intrigued...until I saw it was a Penn & Teller vid. They can spin any angle.
It's better to dispute the facts than to plainly dismiss. While most people think recycling items such as paper or plastic feels good, there's little reason to feel good about the pollution involved in the process, or the enormous amount of energy consumed in the process.

87% of paper comes from trees that are specifically grown for use in paper. By decreasing demand for non-recycled paper, you are actually decreasing the demand to grow trees in farms which reduces the amount of carbon in the atmosphere.

Metals on the other hand can be recycled efficiently, which is why there's such a high value placed on scrap metals such as copper.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 AM

447 posts, read 1,011,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
I'm puzzled... why wouldn't you just go get one or make one if you want it?

Compost Bin Construction Plans
I can manage to collect yard waste and food waste, but I'm too lazy (totally admit it) to combine it with the right mix of non-organic waste, let it stew for weeks, then spread it on my garden beds. If the city picks it all up and does all that (as they did in LA), I'm thrilled to pieces. Chances are they'd be able to sell the compost to avid gardeners...

Old 07-25-2008, 09:04 AM

8,994 posts, read 14,826,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Or trash to fuel...
Yeah, that's what I meant. Ha ha.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
I can manage to collect yard waste and food waste, but I'm too lazy (totally admit it) to combine it with the right mix of non-organic waste, let it stew for weeks, then spread it on my garden beds. If the city picks it all up and does all that (as they did in LA), I'm thrilled to pieces. Chances are they'd be able to sell the compost to avid gardeners...
Actually, Plano does do a portion of this...they collect yard trimmings weekly...which are then used to make mulch, compost, and topsoil...all which are available in bulk or bag to residents (of McKinney, Allen, and Frisco too I believe) at great prices. I bought 2 large truck beds worth if mulch this year for $24!
However, the organic/ food waste element is not collected...that would be awesome though! maybe in the near future

Old 07-25-2008, 02:11 PM

Oh, and I was also going to say...check with local elementary schools...a lot now are doing a year round recycling collection, especially in those areas whose cities don't recycle everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas