Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM

75 posts, read 330,430 times

Advertisements

Hello, we live in Murphy and are looking for recycling centers. The recycling that the garbage people provide just isn't cutting it for us. We are from Seattle and are use to recycling in large quantities. My recycling bin was as full as our garbage bins there. I can't in good conscience just let so much go to the landfill. So I'm going to set up bins in my garage and take to a recycling center myself. I am looking for cardboard, paper, tin and glass. My husband and I could only find city curb p/u programs. Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM

83 posts, read 343,684 times
I know what you mean, in my town the city provides free recycling bins and no body uses them on my street. They are terribly small little bins and I cannot stand to throw anything away that can be recycled either.... We are from California and many people recycle there there are many centers for doing so too! But what I do is fill my Trash cans too along with the bin and the recycle guys take it.

Good luck!

and people!!!! Do your part - - - SAVE THE EARTH - - -

Old 01-24-2008, 12:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,897,694 times
I know that even here in Garland they don't take a lot of things like magazines and phone books. BUT, on Hwy 78 aka Lavon Drive at Lavon Drive Baptist Church in their parking lot are two great big dumpsters for magazine and other paper recycling. It might take cardboard too. I have two storage totes full of magazines right now to take to them. I too hate just throwing that stuff away as it is A LOT!!! I use both of my recycling bins for other things like glass and plastic along w/ newspapers.

I've seen these large recycling bins that I'm talking about at other places but it slips my mind where. Keep your eye open for them as they are the size of a regular commercial dumpster and a light yellow and green. Watch in school, church, community centers and library parking lots.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Tta

64 posts, read 223,298 times
If your bins are getting full, maybe you could talk to your neighbors about using their bins if it not full or even being used.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 PM

3,821 posts, read 8,752,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmablue View Post
Hello, we live in Murphy and are looking for recycling centers. The recycling that the garbage people provide just isn't cutting it for us. We are from Seattle and are use to recycling in large quantities. My recycling bin was as full as our garbage bins there. I can't in good conscience just let so much go to the landfill. So I'm going to set up bins in my garage and take to a recycling center myself. I am looking for cardboard, paper, tin and glass. My husband and I could only find city curb p/u programs. Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Fabulous news! The city is looking at bids right now for new waste services and one of the requirements is rolling polycarts like the trashcans. I believe that 90-95 cans exactly like the regular can is what will be the result (65-70 gallon was another option).

The current contract ends at the end of March so the new cans will come out for the service in April.

In the meantime, Allied Waste does take drop off recycling. They are just of Los Rios on 544. Next to the Valero and the Storage Center.

If you have any questions about the recycling program or the trash pickup, feel free to PM me. I've been involved with the committee that is handling the waste service contract.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Oh and for paper/cardboard Miller Elementary in Richardson off of Murphy Rd on Coventry (serves S. Murphy kids) has 3 of those yellow and green bins. I'm surprised that all the schools don't have them since they just went thru a big push about recycling.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM

670 posts, read 3,000,322 times
I was pleasantly surprised when we moved back to Allen that they have full sized rolling bins for recycling. Our problem is it's every other week for pickup and we usually are overflowing, so we will probably pay for an additional one once my oldest is home to stay. But it is so much better than the little bins and they take a lot more stuff than when we lived here before (here meaning McKinney not Allen).

Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,909 times
It irks me when people waste the opportunity to use curbside recycling. I have to drive to a bin to drop off glass/metal/plastic. Paper bins aren't that hard to find, thankfully.

To the OP, you might want to check your city or surrounding city's websites for drop offs. Or try to google it. That's how I found my location. The newspapers usually have these yellow/green like bins for paper/magazines/junk mail, etc.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM

Let me ask a question that is going to come up when Council considers which service to go with.

There's concern that a 90-95 gallon recycle bin (like most trashcans) on a weekly basis is overkill. Quite honestly the price difference between every and every other week is pretty small.

So would you rather have the convenience of weekly recycling even if you aren't filling it each week? The other two options are smaller bins (2/3 size of the trash can) weekly or full size every other week.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM

217 posts, read 1,046,164 times
I live in Plano and we've got a full size recycle bin that only gets emptied every other week. Most of the time the bin is 1/2 to 3/4 full. The only thing that bothers me about Plano is that the only plastics they take are labeled 1 and 2.

To the OP, definitely try parking lots of schools or libraries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas