Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:25 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times

Advertisements

I need to convert my license to TX. I have all the forms but this - "Proof of Texas vehicle registration and evidence of financial responsibility for each vehicle owned by the applicant"

What is this? I bought my car brand new with cash a couple months ago. My stickers for both registration and inspection are up to date. But what am I suppose to bring? A screenshot of my stickers? I have no documentation or papers of anything. To my knowledge, the sticker is it. Nothing online either to help

TxDPS - Apply for a Texas Driver License

Last edited by unknown00; 10-17-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
So you don't have insurance coverage on your cars?

That's what financial responsibility means, btw.

As for your registration, yes, they mail you a sticker... attached to your registration. You remove the sticker, put it on the windshield, and put the registration sheet in your glove box. If you bought a car, the registration would have been sent with your new plates.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:08 AM

Yes I have insurance, already have that ready.

No I don't have the sheet that went with the sticker...

Old 10-17-2015, 09:11 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
<
What mckinney said.
I miss the easy vehicle registration in Texas

Old 10-20-2015, 09:36 AM

948 posts, read 1,138,609 times
You need to retain the registration letter that comes with the renewal sticker. When you get pulled over thats the proof of your registration.Contact your county for a duplicate if possible..

Old 10-20-2015, 09:39 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
You need to retain the registration letter that comes with the renewal sticker. When you get pulled over thats the proof of your registration.Contact your county for a duplicate if possible..
Usually the officer will take the sticker on the windshield as proof of registration

Old 10-23-2015, 02:37 PM

500 posts, read 583,050 times
Hi,

The paper that your registration sticker came on, you do not need to keep that in your vehicle. We keep those at home in a safe place in the file for each vehicle. If your car is stolen, you will want that information. Having it in the car gives any unscrupulous person all of the info they need to fake a title and register it in their own name or sell it.

From your first sentence I am reading that you need to convert your vehicles to Texas, I am assuming you are coming from out of state. What you will need to do is take the vehicle(s) to a car inspection station and they will do a "green card" inspection. Basically, this verifies the VIN # on the car, that it passes Texas Inspection, etc. Then, you will take this information with you to the county tax office, along with proof of insurance to register your vehicle in the State of Texas.

If you wait a day or two from the time you do the inspection, it will be entered into the states database and they will know you have already taken care of the inspection.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:41 PM

Please close/delete this thread, I got it figured out

Old 01-31-2016, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 13,644 times
hi Unknown00,

Can you please shed a light on what you did. You said you found an answer. I am in same boat as you were and trying to get TX DL after moving from out of state. I only have registration sticker on my windshield (no receipt). Do I need to request a duplicate receipt to get my TX DL? please reply. much appreciated.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:11 AM

446 posts, read 845,553 times
Really, the easiest thing to do is just go to the DL center and tell them you don't have a car. They will ask you to sign an affidavit. That's what I did bc I wanted to keep my cars registered in PA until they expired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: