Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 4,719 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to Addison in a few weeks, and I need to set up utilities in my new apartment. Especially cable and Internet since I work remotely. Uverse and TWC are the only cable providers my apartment offers. Any recommendations? Any incentives of one over the other? I need a fast and reliable connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:27 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungNRestless21 View Post
Hello,

I will be moving to Addison in a few weeks, and I need to set up utilities in my new apartment. Especially cable and Internet since I work remotely. Uverse and TWC are the only cable providers my apartment offers. Any recommendations? Any incentives of one over the other? I need a fast and reliable connection.
I strongly prefer Uverse over TWC, I've had both.

If you really need fast ask about ATT Gigapower. Through gigapower - CAT6 to ATTs router to my Apple Airport Extreme wireless router my speed tests out 330 or so MBPS wirelessly to my laptop.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I strongly prefer Uverse over TWC, I've had both.

If you really need fast ask about ATT Gigapower. Through gigapower - CAT6 to ATTs router to my Apple Airport Extreme wireless router my speed tests out 330 or so MBPS wirelessly to my laptop.
Thank you so much! Do you live near Addison? Have you had any outages? I've seen people complain about outages in north Dallas online, but you only get the negative reviews online. Uverse does seem like it has faster internet, I just want to make sure it's reliable.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:32 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times
ATT gets my vote

Old 10-21-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungNRestless21 View Post
Thank you so much! Do you live near Addison? Have you had any outages? I've seen people complain about outages in north Dallas online, but you only get the negative reviews online. Uverse does seem like it has faster internet, I just want to make sure it's reliable.
I live in Dallas just south of Addison. It's funny my gigapower is out right now. But this is the first outage, of more than 5/10 minutes, I've had with ATT in just under 5 years.

My TWC was down much more often.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I live in Dallas just south of Addison. It's funny my gigapower is out right now. But this is the first outage, of more than 5/10 minutes, I've had with ATT in just under 5 years.

Good to know. Uverse seems to be the better choice, thanks

Old 10-21-2015, 12:44 PM

164 posts, read 252,842 times
Check what's available for U-verse in your area. I've had both in Richardson and the U-verse we had access to was at its best only something like 6Mbps as opposed to TWC which I have now which is 300Mbps. I purchased my own modem and it is extremely fast. On our neighborhood's NextDoor site, people post a lot of U-verse hate and it seems like every other week they have widespread outages that last between several hours and several days.

If you have the latest & greatest upgraded U-verse available in your area, maybe it's better but I have found TWC to be far superior in Richardson.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingInRichardson View Post
Check what's available for U-verse in your area. I've had both in Richardson and the U-verse we had access to was at its best only something like 6Mbps as opposed to TWC which I have now which is 300Mbps. I purchased my own modem and it is extremely fast. On our neighborhood's NextDoor site, people post a lot of U-verse hate and it seems like every other week they have widespread outages that last between several hours and several days.

If you have the latest & greatest upgraded U-verse available in your area, maybe it's better but I have found TWC to be far superior in Richardson.
That's a really good point. All of this stuff is very much location dependent.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingInRichardson View Post

Ugh, that's my biggest fear. And there are many complaints online as well about the outages. I have access to the higher internet speeds, but what good is that if there are constant outages?

TWC is also cheaper, but is widely known to have many issues as well... Hence why it's a tad difficult to make a decision between the two

Old 10-21-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:

The Oncor guys cut my ATT fiber by mistake.

I just tested everything with SpeedTest.net

318.11 Mbps download
314.32 Mbps upload

.....over a wireless connection. For me a wired connect offers no bump in speed at all so far as I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas