Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 04:45 PM

37 posts, read 58,139 times

Advertisements

I would like to Compare the the Lifestyle centers or outdoor malls eg: Southlake Town Center, Shops of Highland Village, Frisco Square, Legacy Village, the Highlands in Arlington, Alliance Town Center or Fairview or others I can't think of across the Metroplex which one do you think is the most successful or will be in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 07:52 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlewisville View Post
I would like to Compare the the Lifestyle centers or outdoor malls eg: Southlake Town Center, Shops of Highland Village, Frisco Square, Legacy Village, the Highlands in Arlington, Alliance Town Center or Fairview or others I can't think of across the Metroplex which one do you think is the most successful or will be in the long run.
Havent been to Frisco or Fairview but the Southlake and Arlington open air malls are thriving and I believe will continue on sucessfully

Old 02-13-2016, 09:09 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlewisville View Post
Is Firewheel in that group?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 AM

7 posts, read 8,643 times
I think Southlake Town Square, Watters Creek & Legacy.

I think Legacy will continue to be extremely successful, as evidenced by the expansion (first with Legacy North & now Legacy West). The sheer influx of people to that area from all the corporate relocations to that area and daytime traffic position it well for continued success. They also have the array of restaurants necessary to make it a popular evening destination.

Southlake & Watters Creek seem to be more retail-oriented, but both are always packed every time I'm there. I think WC is positioned well with the direct 75 frontage and signage. Southlake TC is a destination in itself for that area and always seems to attract crowds.

Generally speaking, the outdoor / mixed-use center is the new indoor mall, so I think all of them will continue to fare well, provided they have the right mix of tenants and the right location to sustain whatever tenants they do have.

An example of what can happen when traffic in a given location isn't what you anticipate would be Parker Square in Flower Mound. It could have been very successful, but it just didn't take off like Southlake TC or other developments did despite following the new town center phenomenon. I think part of this was due to the developers overestimating the amount of traffic through that section of FloMo.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:28 AM

35 posts, read 40,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It is.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 AM

35 posts, read 40,694 times
Legacy has a huge advantage of location and they are dining and socialization centered with just enough retail to keep it interesting so of course very successful. It's a fun place for lunch, dinner or just a coffee or movie.

Others are more retail centric and not as well located but doing okay. Some better than others.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:30 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes. Shops at Park Lane would be as well.

As for longevity, hard to say. There was a trend roughly 15 years ago with creating the live, work, play 'town center' development concept of high density residential combined with light retail/commercial. The idea was that the development stood a greater chance of success without the large anchor tenant concept of mall development with a focus on building in it's own consumer base with the residential. smaller 'boutique' floorplates are much easier to turn over than big box. If a dozen Hot topics close, there will be a Yankee Candle to replace them but finding a tenant for a Bed Bath Beyond is a lot more difficult.
Developers just need to be careful about cannibalizing by creating them too close to each other and resisting the urge to clump everything together behind a giant parking lot. Much of the success is psychological.

Those developments that were established before the credit collapse have tended to do okay and it's becoming more popular again among developers.

There's a great example of one that failed to launch at Walnut Hill and Skillman. That's become a great place to teach people how to drive.

Here's one that had really rotten timing and has struggled significantly (article is a couple years old but highlights some of the pitfalls).
25 condos in Rocketts Landing go on the auction block - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Condos-in-rocketts-landing-go-on-the-auction-block

By contrast, the Virginia Beach town center directly across from a 'valley view-esque' indoor mall has done very well.

The ones that are in the most danger are the ones which rely completely on retail traffic.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Ah, then, CityLine in Richardson--still largely under construction--is another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Yes. Shops at Park Lane would be as well.

As for longevity, hard to say. There was a trend roughly 15 years ago with creating the live, work, play 'town center' development concept of high density residential combined with light retail/commercial. The idea was that the development stood a greater chance of success without the large anchor tenant concept of mall development with a focus on building in it's own consumer base with the residential. smaller 'boutique' floorplates are much easier to turn over than big box. If a dozen Hot topics close, there will be a Yankee Candle to replace them but finding a tenant for a Bed Bath Beyond is a lot more difficult.
Developers just need to be careful about cannibalizing by creating them too close to each other and resisting the urge to clump everything together behind a giant parking lot. Much of the success is psychological.

Those developments that were established before the credit collapse have tended to do okay and it's becoming more popular again among developers.

There's a great example of one that failed to launch at Walnut Hill and Skillman. That's become a great place to teach people how to drive.

Here's one that had really rotten timing and has struggled significantly (article is a couple years old but highlights some of the pitfalls).
25 condos in Rocketts Landing go on the auction block - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Condos-in-rocketts-landing-go-on-the-auction-block

By contrast, the Virginia Beach town center directly across from a 'valley view-esque' indoor mall has done very well.

The ones that are in the most danger are the ones which rely completely on retail traffic.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 10,864 times
Legacy and Allen outlets are appealing because they have more restaurants with nice patios and nightlife. Firewheel is still lacking in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas