Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:24 AM

33 posts, read 38,313 times

Advertisements

OP = are you moving to TX because you/spouse jobs are transferring you to TX? OR are you simply moving to get out of NYC? If moving to get out of NYC, why have you singled out McKinney, TX? You mention no other city as a possibility. This is a big country and there are plenty of places to live if your jobs are not sending you to TX.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifofifo View Post
Are you serious or just extremely bad at Math?

Of course, I'm serious. It's a straightforward fact.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:40 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Minorities? Everyone in Texas is a minority.
Again, the South's history precedes it and I don't see anything wrong with a person to simply ask, it gives us an opportunity to show them the truth. It wasn't that long ago that I saw people driving around with confederate flags hanging off their trucks right here in McKinney, but it never made me feel unsafe. My neighbor actually hung one for a while (I thought it was juvenile) and we get along just fine. Somebody who has never lived here would just see pictures on social media and might it's a hostile place.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:30 PM

130 posts, read 153,977 times
The incident at one of the McKinney public pool that happened a few months back... might have something to do with triggering these types of question.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:20 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhakaia View Post
The incident at one of the McKinney public pool that happened a few months back... might have something to do with triggering these types of question.
They were unauthorized guests. Each household is only allowed to bring two guests.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:06 AM
mm4

And it wasn't a public pool.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
They were unauthorized guests. Each household is only allowed to bring two guests.
Actually a small detail of the story gets lost. There were two separate groups of African-American teens involved in the incident. One very small group had members that lived there and were authorized to be at the pool. There was a second very large group that was unauthorized to be at the pool and were involved in the unauthorized party. The two groups were assumed to be one large single group, but that was not the case. Unfortunately the group that was appropriately at the pool received the same treatment as the other group. They were told to leave even though they were not involved in the disturbance. They were essentially made to leave solely based on their association to the other group via their ethnicity. Also, of note, both Caucasian and African-American teens present agree that the incident was initiated by inappropriate remarks and a physical assault instigated by an adult Caucasian women at the pool who was neither made to leave nor held responsible in any way. Given the above, the OP's question is not unreasonable.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:40 AM

573 posts, read 336,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenabe View Post
Hello,

We're considering moving to McKinney, TX from NYC. Could you please tell me what this town is like? Are people open minded about blacks, Asians, gays, etc?

We're an Asian-American straight couple (Koreans) with no kids, and we both work from home. So school and work isn't the issue. We're simply looking for a better living situation than what NYC can offer us.

We were considering Plano, TX because of the high Asian population, but Mckinney seems to have better housing for the price asked. Will we see a lot of other Asians in Mckinney area?

Thanks for all your help! Really appreciate it!
I don't think you can label most cities as "racist". Are there racists in McKinney, yes, likely. I've seen a couple racist remarks in the Dallas City Data forum, which I reported and were erased. I've been subject to direct racists remarks twice in the DFW area, and overheard off-hand racist comments. I've never been subjected to direct racist remarks in any other state I've lived.

Another example is that some McKinney residents supported the white police officer's handling of the pool party incident. However, he resigned, and the police chief said that officer was wrong.

So to your question directly....I think it's pretty open-minded, but it's less than 100% racist free.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 AM
mm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonian12 View Post
Also, of note, both Caucasian and African-American teens present agree that the incident was initiated by inappropriate remarks and a physical assault instigated by an adult Caucasian women at the pool....
That is simply not true.

And you should consider supplying a link for the reference to two separate AA groups you mention elsewhere in your response.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:15 AM

573 posts, read 336,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
That is simply not true.

And you should consider supplying a link for the reference to two separate AA groups you mention elsewhere in your response.
I didn't know about the two separate groups, but internet search engines are useful.

Dueling views of McKinney melee fault intruding teens, racist adults, police officer | Dallas Morning News

"The party was originally organized with several neighborhood teens who wanted to celebrate the last day of school at the admission-restricted community pool.

A mostly black crowd showed up, and the music was loud. At one point, some people who had not been invited jumped over a fence and were confronted by a security guard. Overwhelmed, he called the police."

Initially, most of the teens at the party were from Craig Ranch or nearby neighborhoods, she said.

“The party was mainly black kids,” she said. “We all knew each other.”

Woman in McKinney pool party fight denies using racist slurs | | Dallas Morning News
This includes a link to a video about the white lady mentioned. As for "who started it", probably will never know as it's a "she said/she said" dispute. This was also available via internet search engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: