Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 PM

44 posts, read 74,062 times

Advertisements

So I know it's a bizarre difference. We are looking to relocate from Cleveland, Ohio to either the Dallas area or somewhere in Florida. Dallas we are looking specifically at Forney, rowlett, Rockwall, etc. If Florida is chosen, we aren't sure exactly where, but we are leaning toward northern Florida between Jacksonville and Pensacola.

We both have friends and family in both places. I work in car sales, so I can theoretically get a job in either place simply by walking into a dealership and showing my most recent pay stub. In reality, I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I've been doing it a long time and I'm good at it, so I'm not concerned. If one place has a better market than the other, that's worth considering.

We are wanting to move basically for better weather and no other reason. We've got six kids, so decent schools and safety are of utmost importance. The kids are not in school yet. Ages are 5,3,1 year old triplets and a newborn.

We want to do something this summer. Our oldest will be starting kindergarten in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Its going to be difficult to find a house to rent for a family of 8. What is your budget?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:27 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
florida closer to Jacksonville. The Pensacola area is meth-heaven

Old 04-12-2016, 01:55 PM

44 posts, read 74,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Its going to be difficult to find a house to rent for a family of 8. What is your budget?
Ideally I'd like to keep housing below $400,000. From what I've seen, that's very possible. Large family does make finding a rental kinda hard to do, so we probably will have to purchase immediately, rather than rent for a year.
Between Florida and Ohio, we are leaning more toward Texas. We both like it better, both the weather and the scenery.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:26 AM

213 posts, read 315,248 times
We moved to Texas two years ago. Before that we lived in Jacksonville for two years and Panama City for four years. For me Texas is best no contest. I can't think of one category Florida wins in, unless you're a beach person and desire to be on the coast. Just my experience as a mom and doing all the things moms do. For example, Jacksonville is very spread out. There are three Costcos across the city. Here, I can be at three or four Costcos in the time it took me to get to the closest one in J'ville. In DFW it seems like every suburb has everything. Some may see that as a negative, but coming from Jacksonville it has made my life much easier.

I think housing costs are comparable. In J'ville you would want to be in St Johns County (if you're doing public school) and their house prices are very similar to what I've paid here. Also, if you are in sales it seems like an area that is prospering and growing would be good business for you. Jacksonville doesn't hold a candle there and you can forget about the smaller cities of the panhandle.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:51 PM

216 posts, read 214,292 times
1 year old TRIPLETS and a NEWBORN?!

OMG. :-O

Old 04-14-2016, 06:23 PM

95 posts, read 123,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
1 year old TRIPLETS and a NEWBORN?!

OMG. :-O
I was thinking the same thing. 😳😳

Old 04-14-2016, 06:56 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Jacksonville sucks. The ONLY thing better about Jacksonville is if you like seafood, otherwise, the Dallas area wins in every other metric you could possibly think of. I lived there for 5 years, couldn't wait to come back.

The beaches are terrible. The water is dark and cloudy, you have to travel far down the coast, even past Daytona, before you start getting clear water. But the dark water is also a blessing in disguise however. Since a lot of the people who live there and frequent the beach are not exactly the best and brightest of the human race, you'll see mothers changing their babies diapers in the ocean, people squatting and pooping in it, etc. Better that you don't actually see whatever just bumped against your leg.

Jacksonville will have cheaper comparable housing too, when you consider house size, school district performance, etc. They still haven't recovered fully from the recession in 2009. Housing was incredibly overpriced, and prices fell about 50%... no joke. I myself was buying a home that had last sold for $290k in 2006, and I was buying it for $142k. Prices have come up somewhat since then, but they've been on fire here.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:45 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,092 times
I love the beach better than most things in life. But my take on FL is that it while it is a lovely place to visit, it is not a great place to live.

Have you ever been there? (Other than for a vacation)?

Suggest you hang out on some the FL forums. The running theme from a lot of folks with children is how terrible the schools are and how they wish desperately to leave for this sake. Pensacola in particular seems to have a lot of problems with crime and infrastructure.

We vacation in the Panhandle a *lot*; my DD was married there. The planner who assisted us moved there because her husband owns a business in the area. She was from the Midwest, had two pre-schoolers and she HATED FL. Every time we talked she would quiz me about Collin County - housing, jobs, were the schools really that good? (they are). She seemed pretty unhappy and was trying to craft an exit strategy.

I've had several friends who moved there (Tampa, Pensacola, Tallahassee) and left after a few years. They went for the beach and left because of the schools. I do have friends who live in Avondale (a nice Jacksonville suburb) and love it. She is a lawyer and he is a doctor and their kids attend private schools.

Texas isn't perfect by any means. But I think overall the state is better run (even with some of the headline-grabbing wacko politicians ). And the schools in most of the areas surrounding the metropolitan areas do a pretty good job.

I think the greatest challenge is that so many people are moving here (not just DFW, but Austin, San Antonio are booming too) and the increased demand for housing and services can make everything from shopping for groceries to finding a decent house a little difficult.

Just my 2c; YMMV. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2016, 08:50 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasony0423 View Post
Ideally I'd like to keep housing below $400,000. From what I've seen, that's very possible. Large family does make finding a rental kinda hard to do, so we probably will have to purchase immediately, rather than rent for a year.
Between Florida and Ohio, we are leaning more toward Texas. We both like it better, both the weather and the scenery.
How are you going to get a home loan if you are moving here without a job transfer? Just wondering....

At any rate, many newish auto dealerships in the Plano area as well as good schools there. You could also focus on Highland Village -- many car dealerships in that vicinity and schools and housing are fine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas