Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:40 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
How long ago was that?
I quit about 1 yr ago

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 06:05 PM

185 posts, read 174,360 times
Hmm yes idk I guesse I'll just have to do a scouting trip and check it out . I come from a city where traffic is non existent . Well my commute to work takes me 7 minutes without traffic doing about 65 but that's at 4am.

Frisco caught my eye as a booming suburb and I found some really nice apartment complexes in the area but the drive might be a deal breaker .

What about a commute from downtown to love field ?

Old 04-22-2016, 06:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,324,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
Hmm yes idk I guesse I'll just have to do a scouting trip and check it out . I come from a city where traffic is non existent . Well my commute to work takes me 7 minutes without traffic doing about 65 but that's at 4am.

Frisco caught my eye as a booming suburb and I found some really nice apartment complexes in the area but the drive might be a deal breaker .

Do you have a family & kids? If not, don't even consider Frisco! That would be an insane commute just to live in a new apartment in a growing suburb.

Downtown to Love Field is <10 minutes. You don't even need to get on a highway if traffic is backed up. Ifyou're a single professional, give us your renting budget and we can make better recommendations for your commute and your lifestyle.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Do you have a family & kids? If not, don't even consider Frisco! That would be an insane commute just to live in a new apartment in a growing suburb.

Downtown to Love Field is <10 minutes. You don't even need to get on a highway if traffic is backed up. Ifyou're a single professional, give us your renting budget and we can make better recommendations for your commute and your lifestyle.
I have no kids or family , I'm 24 . My girlfriend would be moving with me she would be unemployed at the start of he relocation . I have about 20k in savings no debt .

I would like to be in downtown if possible living amongst the sky scrapers and shade from the sun and just being able to walk around and bar hop . I am not a heavy night life person I like to eat healthy and stay fit and lean but when I do want to go out it would be cool having it walking distance or the dart away .

I would like a one bedroom in a safe area 1000-1200 not sure how much no income tax and other Texas income differences I would have comming from New York but I'll start there

Old 04-22-2016, 07:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,324,000 times
Quote:
I have no kids or family , I'm 24 . My girlfriend would be moving with me she would be unemployed at the start of he relocation . I have about 20k in savings no debt .

I would like to be in downtown if possible living amongst the sky scrapers and shade from the sun and just being able to walk around and bar hop . I am not a heavy night life person I like to eat healthy and stay fit and lean but when I do want to go out it would be cool having it walking distance or the dart away .

I would like a one bedroom in a safe area 1000-1200 not sure how much no income tax and other Texas income differences I would have comming from New York but I'll start there
Yeah, Frisco is so not your scene. You'd be bored to death up there.

The most walkable neighborhoods are all much closer to Love than Frisco, too. Check out Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Deep Ellum, downtown, Oak Lawn (east of the tolltoad), the Design District and North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts District. All are walkable and within 5-15 minutes to Love Field. All have a different feel from each other but all are full of young professionals close to your ages. $1200 does not get you as much as you think it would in Dallas. I'd recommend running your salary through paycheckcity.com as it will give you a very accurate estimate of what your net pay will be in Dallas. I can tell you that rent + car expenses (payment/gas/insurance/toll tag) cost me more in Dallas fhan just rent did when I lived in NYC.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 PM

241 posts, read 382,441 times
It depends on where in Frisco and what time you leave. If you're ok with 45 min drives to work and leaving a bit early, you should be ok. It's not as horrific as people make it out to be if you can do that. Nothing like LA.

I go from around 423/Eldorado to the West End in Downtown Dallas which is even further. If I leave the house around 8:45am, I can get there in under an hour. Sometimes I can get there in about 40-45 minutes. If I leave earlier than that, it'll be an 1:00-1:15. So the trip to Love Field would be a bit less than that. The trip back will be a bit worse if you leave around 4-5pm. If you leave for work before 8am, I'd leave by 6:30am. But... if there's a stalled car or wreck that holds you up, get ready for a potential 1.5-2 hour trip. In the past 7 or 8 months, that's happened to me about 2 or 3 times. Also, keep in mind they're widening portions of the DNT for the next couple of years, so in the short run, your trip may be longer, but in the long run, maybe quicker (unless the influx of people jams up the DNT even after the widening).

Old 04-23-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yeah, Frisco is so not your scene. You'd be bored to death up there.

The most walkable neighborhoods are all much closer to Love than Frisco, too. Check out Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Deep Ellum, downtown, Oak Lawn (east of the tolltoad), the Design District and North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts District. All are walkable and within 5-15 minutes to Love Field. All have a different feel from each other but all are full of young professionals close to your ages. $1200 does not get you as much as you think it would in Dallas. I'd recommend running your salary through paycheckcity.com as it will give you a very accurate estimate of what your net pay will be in Dallas. I can tell you that rent + car expenses (payment/gas/insurance/toll tag) cost me more in Dallas fhan just rent did when I lived in NYC.

I will keep that in mind , I think I would enjoy living downtown for sure . I go to Dallas 2-3 times a year for work and for cowboy games but my most recent trip was 4 months ago I just had one night on the town I took the dart downtown not sure what the area or neighborhood was called but I ate at iron cactus and walked around to the bars I enjoyed the area very much . Thank you for all your help

Old 04-24-2016, 04:50 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I used to take DNT from Eldorado to Mockingbird every Mon morning at about 5:50 a.m. NO traffic.
Still true, according to my husband who did a couple of times last week.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:03 PM

551 posts, read 1,100,648 times
Quote:

Why would you even consider Frisco in this situation? Love Field is awesome because its in the middle of everything. Why live way out and commute back? There are plenty of nice apartments in Uptown, Henderson, Deep Elm, Lower Greenville, Lovers/Mockingbird, etc that would put you 10-15 minutes from Love Field.

Frisco is great if you are willing to trade a being way out of town for a cheap McMansion and good public schools. None of that applies to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: